PDA

View Full Version : OT: tuna salad and chicken salad recipes

cchavez
01-22-2004, 02:59 PM
My tuna salad is very boring. Tuna, mayo, and chopped egg. What can I add to make it exciting??? I have been using the tuna that is a sealed foil bag so the taste of the tuna is much better than the canned. I would love to add some kind of nut.

Same goes for chicken. Any ideas??? Does anyone make their chkn. salad w/ canned chicken? I normally use left over roasted chicken but would like to know if their are any good recipes for canned chicken salad. TIA!!!

MelissaTC
01-22-2004, 03:03 PM
I like adding some chopped celery, garlic, salt & pepper. I have a friend that adds grapes to her chicken salad. It tastes pretty good that way!

egoldber
01-22-2004, 03:09 PM
I add a little bit of dill relish to my tuna and chicken salads. A friend told me she did this, I tried it and loved it! I'm one who doesn't like a lot of other "stuff" in my salads, but this was just enough to give it a bit of extra flavor. You can use sweet or dill relish, whichever you prefer.

My MIL LOADS up her salads: green pepper, celery, onion, pasta, etc.

And I use the canned chicken from Costco for my chicken salad. its yummy!

HTH,

lisams
01-22-2004, 03:13 PM
At playgroup one of the moms made a chicken salad that had apple in it. I think it was just chicken, mayo and apples with some seasoning. It was very good and the apples added a nice "crunch". Mmmm, getting hungry for lunch now :)

Lisa

bluej
01-22-2004, 03:27 PM
I use a very small splash of sesame oil in my chicken salad (don't have the recipe in front of me to know exact amount) and I add cashews and red grapes.

22tango
01-22-2004, 04:51 PM
I grew up with Tuna salad that had celery & apples in it!! YUMMY!!

When I don't make mine that way, I like to add capers & red onion, olive oil & mustard (instead of mayo) then pile it onto a french roll with tomatoes, lettuce, etc... It's more like a "nicoise" tuna salad!!

I like curry in my chicken salads...plus walnuts & grapes! :D

eb1
01-22-2004, 04:56 PM
ALL of these sound great! I don't make chicken salad much though I will try the apple suggestion next time...

For some crunch, we often just eat grapes alongside (not in) tuna--goes well. I've had pickles or relish mixed in with tuna, which is good, but mine usually just has celery, onions, and mayo in it. Boring. I would add chopped tomatoes but DH doesn't like them.

cara1
01-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Instead of mayo, balsamic vinegar, oil (if you want), garlic and oregano are nice, too. Very different, and a bit tangy.

llcoddington
01-22-2004, 05:42 PM
I put lemon juice, grapes, walnuts and mayonnaise in my chicken salad. In tuna, I sometimes put mayo, apples and pecans. Also, I once had a chicken salad sandwich on raison bread at a tea shop. It was wonderful!

My husband likes chicken salad made out of canned chicken (costco), but I don't. I just quick poach a couple of chicken breasts and make my salad.

If you have a Whole Foods near you, they have wonderful tuna (their 365 brand) that has a much better taste than chicken of the sea!

Lana
mom to Lauren 12/5/03