PDA

View Full Version : My baby has a cold and we need help--UPDATE

s_gosney
01-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Kylee is still sick and it actually has gotten worse. The congestion has moved lower and she's gotten a worse cough. Her breathing sounds horrible and yesterday she kept coughing so hard she'd end up throwing up. We went to the walk in clinic last night and they say her lungs sound good. But, she has the start of her first ear infection, so amoxicillin here we come. I thought they tried not to give antibiotics for ear infections anymore? Anyway, she's taking it, so remind me what we need to do to keep the yucky thrush away? I have acidophilus left over from when she was on antibiotics when she was born for me to take. Do I do anything for her?
The LNP also had us start giving her Pediacare cold and cough, so I did and last night was our worst night ever. Could something in the meds be bothering her or is her ear maybe starting to hurt or what? The only other thought I had was that maybe the decongestant is working too well and the drainage is gagging her (some decongestants do this to me). Should we use something with an antihistamine in it too? Anyone have any input?
Do I give tylenol if she acts like her ear hurts?
No one told me how much fun this would be.:P
Thanks for the help and understanding, ladies.

jec2
01-23-2004, 09:57 PM
I would go ahead and give her tylenol drops (use what you most likely used when she had her immunizations and that amt. as well) We had our first cold right after xmas and called the on-call dr. We felt a little silly, but I new that because Finn had a fever we should. Because Finn was just barely past the 2 month mark, they wanted us to bring him in immediately. You might go ahead and call your Ped. and double-check what you should do.

It's no fun, I know. I felt so bad for our little bug when he was all snotted up.

papal
01-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Poor Kylee.. hope she feels better soon. The saline-sucker thing did not help me get the snot out easily either. What I do with Leela is, when i give her a bath in the evenings, i kind of massage her nose with a warm washcloth several times. This loosens the snot. Sometimes she blows it out but other times i use the sucker to suck it out. It is easy to distract her because she enjoys her bath... otherwise i am always afraid of hurting her with the sucker.

billysmommy
01-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Billy had his first cold right around 2 months old and our ped said they usually don't recommend decongestant for them that little but said if it was realy interfering with his sleeping to use Pediacare (the bottom line on the dropper) for a night or two. She said not to use it during the day because they do need to drain the stuff out but they also need their sleep to get better so it was okay to use for 1 or 2 nights....HTH :) It's awful to hear them all stuffed up and congested.

sarahfran
01-24-2004, 01:32 AM
We have found saline spray followed by tummy time to be a really effective nose-clearer. Dylan huffs and puffs so much on his tummy that it blows the snot right out.

Do you know how much it would cost to see the ped? It might not be as bad as you think to pay for it out of pocket, and maybe you could sweet talk them into letting you pay the same amt that your insurance would pay (a lesser amt than the rack rate). It might be worth your piece of mind!

Good luck! Hang in there!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

jubilee
01-24-2004, 02:59 AM
Poor Kylee! A great resource is Dr. Sear's website. The cold info is at http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081000.asp My little guy had a bad cold at 4 months old (but he was a big baby for his age) and the pediatrician had him take Robitussin. The medication guide at http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089800.asp will help you figure out what to buy. If you click on the medication it will give you the dosage to take. Hope that helps you and Kylee!

ohiomom
01-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Luckily DD has only had one cold. We discovered essential oils help tremendously in clearing stuffed noses. I had a massage/body work and the therapist used a wide combo of oils during the treatment. When I came home my DH said she was terribly stuffed up and miserable. We noticed 1/2 an hour later her nose was clear! I called the therapist and we figured it was the basil and cypress oils. Since these aren't readily available in my area, I went to Aveda and got their euclyptus oil. It is organic and cut with another oil so it wouldn't burn her skin if she got it on her. To be safe, we just put drops of it on a bib around her neck and on her waterproof pad next to her head in her crib several times a day. It truly worked wonders... and I find myself using it since I'm still bfing and can't take decongestants myself.
Hope this might help!

Janeen
Nicole's Mom 7/03

Marisa6826
01-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Sophie's only had two colds (knock wood!) and when she was really congested I had her sleep in her bouncy seat. Just being upright helped her tremendously.

If you don't have one, put a couple of books under the end of Kylee's crib, or a pillow UNDER her MATTRESS.

Good luck

-m

starrynight
01-24-2004, 11:56 PM
Marisa, I love Sophie's new avatar!

And I was going to suggest the same thing Marisa did, let Kylee sleep upright in a bouncer or infant seat if you have one.

We think Eliza has allergies so I have been letting her sleep propped up on my chest at night. Of course that means sleeping in the recliner LOL. Oh well.

I hope Kylee feels better soon!