PDA

View Full Version : Vacation ideas???

heytootsy
01-24-2004, 04:33 PM
We are trying to figure out where we should go this year. We are really flexible with time and distance. Does anyone have any recommendations/favorite spots to travel. Maya will turn 1 in March and is a wonderful traveller. Looking for any suggestions. Where would you go???

egoldber
01-24-2004, 04:51 PM
OK, I need more to work with! What do you like to do? Hobbies, other interests? Where have you been before that you like?

But here are some of my all time favs:

Monterey/Carmel (if I could live anywhere, it would be here!)
the Northern CA coast/Mendocino
The Caribbean, especially Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao
Charleston, SC
San Francisco

vpalmer
01-24-2004, 07:48 PM
I second the northern Californian coast. I grew up there and still love to visit. It is a beautiful place.

Beth, tell me more about Bonaire and Curacao. I love the Caribbean and am always looking for a new place to visit. Is either place kid friendly? How about cost? Are they more reasonable than, say, Hawaii?

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

jesseandgrace
01-24-2004, 09:19 PM
The time of year you are vacationing is really important! For summer I would suggest Tremblant, Canada. It is perfect for a one year old and really nice for you and Dh. Bermuda is also really nice in late spring/summer. For winter vacations the Carribean is always nice, or Playacar, Mexico.

I think you can learn more about Tremblant at www.tremblant.com DH and I took DS (then almost two) and we loved it so much that we are trying to find a way to get there again this summer. In the winter it is a skiing resort, but in the summer you can hike, swim in a lake, hang out at the hotel pool, etc. It is like a little european town in Canada!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-24-2004, 10:42 PM
All because of the recent mention here on the boards!!!
Tremblant sounds wonderful!!!! I can't wait!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

aguinn
01-24-2004, 10:46 PM
i am partial to the beach, so my first choice is always north carolina's outer banks. however, after last year's hurricane hit kitty hawk, you might want to wait before going there.

DH and i want to travel to quebec city; we also love napa/st. helena in CA.

with the weather the way it's been in new england, i could think of a long list of warm-weather destinations!

dreaming of sun,
;)amy
Proud momma to Aidan - 7/29/03

heytootsy
01-24-2004, 10:53 PM
I should have elaborated, but I was in a hurry. We are thinking of going in either April/May or Sep/Oct. We use to travel A LOT before I got pregnant. We travelled the globe, (backpacked Europe, Thailand, China, Iceland, etc...) We cannot travel like this for awhile! We took Maya to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico, and we loved it, she loved the water. This time, I would like to explore the states more.

I have heard a lot of great thing about Hilton Head, the Gulf Shores in Alabama, and New Hope (hoping to go on the mini retreat). We just want some place nice and relaxing where Maya can explore. Great suggestions so far. I love the tremblant idea!

hobey
01-25-2004, 06:35 PM
My absolute favorite North American destination is Vancouver, Canada. DH & I were there last May for a 3 day kayaking trip (I was 8 wks PG at the time) in addition to 10 more days just soaking in the sights on Vancouver Island and the city. Kid-friendly things to do include biking/walking along the seawall in Stanley Park, whale watching trips, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, and lots of cool museums.

Now I just need to win the lottery so I can retire and move up there for good! :)

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

ddmarsh
01-25-2004, 07:14 PM
We really love Hilton Head, although it's been a while since we've been there and I'm not up-to-date on the best area to stay in. We also had a great time at The Atlantis in the Bahamas.

A place I've wanted to get to, although I understand there is a waiting list is www.tylerplace.com - it's sounds just perfect for families of all ages.

Have fun!

egoldber
01-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Bonaire and Curacao are WONDERFUL! (Not cheap though and not close, they are off the coat of Venezuela and are a 3 hour flight south form Miami.) The beaches are not the best in the world, but they are quiet and nice. These islands are also extremely safe and family friendly. Bonaire has spectacular diving and snorkeling. Heck, wade into the water 2 feet off shore and you'll see more fish and wildlife than you see in most scuba diving extravaganzas! My DH is a passionate scuba diver and he was astounded by Bonaire. The food is better on Curacao, and there's more of a nightlife there too. Both also have wonderful climates. They never get too hot since they get windward breezes all the time. We went to Bonaire when I was 7 months pregnant and it was just the most amazing time.

HTH,

egoldber
01-25-2004, 09:48 PM
I can't say enough about Charleston. If you wanted, you could rent a beach house on one of the islands there and "commute" into Charleston (15 minutes). Charleston is just an amazing city, gorgeous, lots of history, and fantastic food. The beaches nearby are large and relatively untouristy. I was once on Folly Island on Labor Day weekend and the water was warm, the sun was nice and the beach was empty. Fabulous!!!

parkersmama
01-25-2004, 09:55 PM
We love to go to Gulf Shores, Alabama. We both grew up in Alabama (well, mostly for me but the whole time for dh!) and vacationed there as kids. It's grown a lot but it's still family friendly. The beaches are gorgeous...flat, white sand, warm water, no rocks...just great for kids!! There are some reasonably priced condos right on the beach. When we went last summer, we also travelled over to Mobile on the ferry and went to the Battleship Alabama, which my boys loved. I think Gulf Shores is the sort of place where there's as much or as little to do as you want. Feel free to email me if you want more info...I've got some links in my favorites.

alleyoop
01-25-2004, 10:27 PM
We went to Gulf Shores this last summer and had a great time! We stayed at www.beachclubal.com and thought very highly of it. Tons of white sugar non-smelly beach perfect for playing in the surf, lots of kids/families, great condo with kitchen and w/d, 5 pools (one inside), restaurant, spa...

Make sure you end up telling us about your vacation!

caleymama
01-25-2004, 11:20 PM
I would like to second NC's Outer Banks. My family vacationed there for years when I was younger and DH and I went on our honeymoon there (he'd never been). When my family would go we stayed in a hotel in the Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area (Best Western Ocean Reef, I think - it's been a while), which is more developed. On our honeymoon we rented a house up in the most northern part (Corolla), accessible only by driving 4WD down the beach for a couple of miles. We LOVED it out there. We've also camped for a couple of days down in the southern part and that was nice also. There are all different kinds of things to do and you can be as in the middle of it or as rustic as you want.

One of my other favorite spots, and I've only been there once, was Canada's Prince Edward Island. Really pretty, neat stuff to see and do, and beautiful beaches too.