PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for short, warm vacation in March

Momof3Labs
01-25-2004, 12:48 AM
I have cabin fever.

We have a small block of time in March (Sun-Thurs) when DH is off and I can take off, and I'd like to go somewhere WARM and baby-friendly. Was thinking a Disney cruise, but that is looking pretty pricey for such a short trip. We can always mosey down to Marco Island and stay near the in-laws (a friend of theirs will lend us their condo) but then we have to deal with the in-laws, and the condo isn't on a beach (we have to drive to the beach) or walking distance to anything particularly interesting. But it is warm and pretty inexpensive (we'd pay airfare and meals) plus we'd have a large condo instead of a tiny hotel room.

Any other suggestions?? Key West sounds like a neat place - would that fit my requirements? Or does anyone have suggestions on how to enjoy Marco Island with a toddler in tow?? We are planning a trip to Orlando in December, coinciding with a business trip of mine, so don't want to go there in March.

TIA!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-25-2004, 10:43 AM
...just keep in mind the spring breakers are out in those March week-ends, so if that would bother you keep that in mind in your plans!!!

Edited to say I really like Key West, just yesterday it was on the news and I thought to myself that I wish we could run down there for a little vacation :)

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

new_mommy25
01-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Hawaii, Hawaii, Hawaii!!!

We just got back and it was great. It's fairly inexpensive in March, you can usually get a pretty good package deal. DH and I stayed at this lovely hotel with a full kitchenette so we could cook food and save on meals. We were there for a week and it was only about $400 I think, I could get the name. The beach is right there, everyone is very BABY FRIENDLY, great shopping, and no spring breakers!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Angie,
I'd love your info on where you stayed...if open to "public" and not a time share etc...
Can you email me that???
I love places with kitchens in them :)
[email protected]

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Momof3Labs
01-25-2004, 04:45 PM
I should have mentioned that we want to be on a shorter flight - 3 hrs max - since Colin hates to be in his car seat, and *I* hate to be cooped up on a plane for much longer than that (too many years of lots of business travel has made me grumpy about long flights). We're in Chicago, so Hawaii is an 8 hour flight each way, unfortunately.

I'd love to do Hawaii, though, when he is a little older, and the place you stayed at sounds lovely! Would you mind PM'ing me with the name of the hotel?

Momof3Labs
01-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I think that's why the prices are coming up so high. I thought we'd be ahead of spring break since Easter isn't until later in March, but we must be running into the beginning of the rush. Marco Island is looking more likely - bleh. Or maybe we'll just stay home - bleh.

jesseandgrace
01-25-2004, 05:14 PM
How about Arizona? It isn't the beach, but it is really pretty and all of the hotels have beautiful pools for the most part. We spent a week in Scottsdale right outside Phoenix and it was perfect. There is a really nice park with a little Merry-go-round and train for small kids, an amazing zoo, and I'm sure lots of other stuff. I think it is pretty warm in March also, but you may want to double check. The landscape is just so different from Boston where I am and Chicago that you really feel like you have gotten away, but the trip from here was only 5 1/2 hours so it would probably only be 2 1/2 - 3 for you. The shopping is also great, and the spas are wonderful :).

Key west is really cute but it might end up being a long way to travel after you make connections and everything.

hobey
01-25-2004, 06:24 PM
March temps here in AZ are usually in the 70s & maybe even low 80s and a lot of the resorts are pretty family friendly with pools and other activities for kids. Plus if you're a hiker, you can't beat the hiking since we have plenty of trails in and around Phoenix that are perfect for kids.

Another option would be Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel). The flight is longer but you'd have the added attraction of beaches and the ocean.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

Momof3Labs
01-25-2004, 09:32 PM
I've been to Cancun many times and would consider it except it is apparently spring break season when we are going - and I definitely don't want to do Cancun during spring break.

Arizona is a possibility, though!

egoldber
01-25-2004, 09:41 PM
I would suggest Arizona, San Diego or else the near Caribbean like Bahamas or the Virgin Islands (that would probably be 4-5 hour flight, but you could probably get a direct flight to at least one of those from Chicago). Personally, I would avoid Florida and all the southern US beaches at that time because of all the spring breakers! Although somewhere like Key West is less likely to be a spring break mecca.

San Diego is really nice and has lots of things for toddlers to enjoy, but it is also probably a 4-5 hour flight for you.

HTH,

C99
01-25-2004, 11:15 PM
I was going to suggest AZ, too. We're looking at going there in February as well, since we can stay with J.'s aunt and uncle (who just moved there in November after 20 years in Chicago).

alkagift
01-26-2004, 12:12 AM
My vote would be either Jekyll Island/St. Simons or Amelia Island--probably Amelia would be better, easier to get to and easier to get around. You could always stay at the Ritz, but I don't bother since I like the Elizabeth Pointe Inn so very much--and it's cheaper. For Florida beaches, March is definitely "season," so you're talking higher prices than if you went in June. The Inn is right on the beach and really nice. There's a old civil-war era fort within biking distance (the Inn rents and there may be a sidecar available for Colin) or you can just drive the mile or two up the road to see it. They have nighttime walking tours as well, when the tour guides do it up in period costume, but that may be a bit intense for Colin. Fernandina Beach is the town on the island and easy to get around. Fly to Jacksonville and drive up the 30-45 minutes.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

C99
01-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Amelia Island is really cute! My husband's cousin got married at the Ritz there in 1998 so we spent a weekend there.