PDA

View Full Version : Martha Stewart bedding vs Stride Rite Through J C Penney

JulieL
01-26-2004, 01:50 PM
I am looking to buy this quilt for my son. I am definately on a TIGHT budget and really don't want to spend more than $50 on a comforter. So here is the quilt I saw online by Martha Stewart. Has anyone bought her stuff before. I may be cheep but I have made the mistake more than once of being to cheap.

http://www.bluelight.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1331487&cp=1368939&parentPage=family

Then I saw this comforter by Stride Right on JC Penneys website. It's more, but very cute. Is it worth it to pay more or is the Martha Stewart stuff good enough quality?

http://www1.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=7107&CatID=8161&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=084ae7e&ProdSeq=10&OffSet=10&ProdCount=26&Cat=boy%27s+room&Dep=for+the+home&PCat=KIDS-TEENS&PCatID=8159&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&NumMatches=26&RecPtr=&SearchIn=0&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&PersistenceID=&RecordID=&SearchString=

Thanks for the help!

parkersmama
01-26-2004, 04:56 PM
The one from Penney's is very cute but I like the MS one, too. I guess it depends on the look you're going for because they are pretty different, IMO. I don't know anything about the quality of the Penney's ones, but I've been pretty happy with the MS things I've bought from KMart. They've held up nicely and I thought they were pretty good quality for the money. HTH!

caleymama
01-26-2004, 05:54 PM
The MS stuff from KMart is decent quality. We've been using a quilt and shams on our bed for 2+ years and they've held up well. It's not top quality but it's been good enough for me. I like to change my bedding "look" whenever the mood strikes me so I prefer not to pay an arm and a leg for something that's probably eventually going to end up collecting dust in the closet. Now that I think about it, the quilt has actually done better than the Tommy Hilfiger comforter that we got as a wedding present - that faded really badly from sun coming in the window of the bedroom. I don't think you would be making a mistake to get the MS stuff, especially for a childs bed where the possibilty of accidents of all kinds is higher.

kathsmom
01-26-2004, 07:01 PM
I had a Martha Stewart comforter set for my bed and loved it! We got a king size bed and the comforter was a queen size. So we haven't used it.

Just my 2 cents - the Martha Stewart quilt will be something that will "grow" with your baby. I think that the Stride Rite one will be good only when he is young.

Good luck and let us know which one you decide on!

JulieL
01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Well I believe I will go with the MS one. I am trying to plan ahead of the game. I don't even know when DS will be in a big boy bed, but I figure in the next year he will. He turns 2 in March. But after Christmas he doesn't need toys or books. So since I wanted to redue his room I figured we could but his b-day money towards that.

For more info that you didn't ask for here are some prints that I fell in love with by Lila Rose Kennedy. I haven't decided which I am going to order, but am going with the transportation scenes. I am goin to accent his room with them:

http://posters.seindal.dk/artist_kennedy_lila_rose_byrank.1.html

muskiesusan
01-26-2004, 09:44 PM
I really like the MS quilt as well. We had one of her quilts for our spare bedroom and it held up really well, so I would recommend it.

We are doing/did Nick's big boy room in a transportation theme, too. I love the ones by Lila Rose Kennedy and almost ordered them, but went with Simon Hart posters instead-the colors matched the bedding we had better. FYI, Target right now in their Restore and Restyle section has a Construction Collection with truck pegs and other accents that you might want to check out.

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

Momof3Labs
01-26-2004, 10:36 PM
My experience with inexpensive quilts like that is that they do not wash too well - they tend to fall apart in the wash. Nothing that can't be repaired, but I get sick of repairing quilts. I use inexpensive quilts around the house (on the back of the couch, on our bed) and my cat tends to gravitate towards them when he feels the urge to hurl a hairball, so mine get subjected to more than average washing.

Just something to consider, since a quilt in a child's room may require more frequent washing than adult bedding.

muskiesusan
01-27-2004, 12:23 AM
I was just coming back to post basically what Lori has mentioned. I remembered that my mom got a MS quilt for her bed and within a year it was falling apart b/c of all the washings. Ours was only used for a spare bedroom and wasn't washed frequently, which wouldn't be the case for a child's room.

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

JulieL
01-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Well I guess I still have things to consider! I made a quilt for our bedroom (DH & I) and know that most quilts bought are not as good as the ones handmade. But I really don't have the time to make any right now. The one I really want but can't afford is by Pottery Barn:

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpak%7Ccbdgbqt%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fk%2Fshp ak%7Ccbdg%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fk&pkey=cbdgbqt%7Cak&gids=pk312

Sigh...SO CUTE!!!, but to much $$$

I loved the Simon Hart pics as well and almost bought them. I need to figure out what comforter I am buying then go start on the accents...TO MUCH FUN!!!