PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long for a cover letter?

deborah_r
01-26-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm helping DH apply for a job he REALLY wants, and he has written a cover letter that is definitely going to be one full page. It currently has 6 paragraphs. I'm trying to pare it down. Anyone want to share their philosophy on cover letters and what the main content should / shouldn't be?

COElizabeth
01-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Be careful not to re-hash the resume. Make sure the letter is tailored very specifically to the organization. Definitely don't go longer than a page, and the more blank space on the page the better. Make absolutely sure there are no grammatical or spelling errors. All pretty obvious points, I guess, but they are often ignored! Best wishes to your DH!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

farsk
01-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Deborah,

I write cover letters for my clients all day, everyday (well, not really, but you KWIM!) Anyway, my formula is simple:
Paragraph 1: Greeting and how you heard of the job (especially important if it was an internal referral)
Paragraph 2: BRIEF outline of your education and experience.
Paragraph 3: How the skills you have will benefit the organization. (I have found most people to be lazy and like to be told how they would benefit. This is especially effective if you "mirror" language that they have used in the ad/posting/whatever, that way they say to themselves, "hum, that sound familiar....we really like him!)
Paragraph 4: Excitement about the job/Contact information

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

deborah_r
01-26-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks Shannon and Elizabeth! Your advicereally helped me focus back in on what needed to be done. I am usually quite good at this and have considered moving into a career which involves more writing as I really enjoy the process and often get kudos for things I write at work. Have also helped DH get a series of progressively better jobs over the years by writing all of his stuff. It's just been a few years since I've really gone at this! I went over it again and again and kept paring and condensing and I think the final product is very good, and it follows the 4 paragraph format. off to check spelling and grammar...

Thanks again!

josephmama
01-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Not sure if this is too late, but I'll chime in. I'm a career counselor and we always tell people to mention WHY THEY ARE INTERESTED in the position. It seems this is the one element that is often skipped over. I would also echo the other comments here.