PDA

View Full Version : computer help!

starrynight
01-27-2004, 12:41 AM
My temporary internet files (cookies) won't delete. Every time I go to delete them the files won't go away and I get an error message stating the program is not responding something like rundll32 isn't responding etc and the files won't delete. I can sometimes manually delete current ones by hi-liting and deleting but anything from a few days ago won't delete.

I am getting tons of this page can't be displayed error messages and my pc is running slow eventhough I have dsl. Tech support told me that is because the cookie file is too full. But how do I fix it??

I am running WindowsXP if that helps.

MamaKath
01-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Are you going through My COmputer or your Tools menu (I am assuming you are on IE). Tools/Internet Options/ General Tab/ Delete Cookies

If you are getting an error consistently, I would try going into your Temporary internet files through the search on your Start button menu.

If you continue to get an error you can try 2 things- scan for viruses or disk defragmentor and then try again. Honestly it sounds odd that you would get that message from your temp internet being "overly full of cookies".

HTH, I am off to bed, so I am not too much help beyond this.

Editted to add- Good Luck, and mine is running really slow tonight too, especially on the BB boards.

starrynight
01-27-2004, 10:37 AM
I was going through control panel then internet options then delete files/delete cookies but when I would click settings and view files they would still be there and then it would freeze up.

Funny thing is when you suggested go through tools,internet options,delete cookies instead and I did, it worked! Thanks :D No idea why the control panel is all screwed up though..

rorycam
01-27-2004, 10:45 AM
This happens to me in XP fairly often (usually when it is quite full) and what I found would work would be to do this: Instead of clicking on "delete files", click on "settings" instead, then "view files", then control A or click on "select all" under edit, (which will highlight all files) and then hit the delete button. It will ask you if you are sure you want to delete, so click on yes. It takes a second or two if it is really full, but that works for me. HTH!

Rory

MamaKath
01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Glad it worked! XP has some strange glitches to it. As antiquated as it was Windows 3.1 was a much, much more stable operating system!!! Certainly not as user friendly though. ;-)