PDA

View Full Version : I've been soooo sick :(

houseof3boys
01-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Yowza did I get hit with the worst sickness I have ever had last week! It started so suddenly and didn't stop for days. It was one of those disgusting TMI kind of gastrointestinal things where you have nonstop diar.... I can't even type it it was so awful. After about 15 hours of me in denial thinking I had food poisoning and not being able to keep water down, we went to the emergency room. I am so thankful I had a small freezer stash of EBM and before we headed out I told DH to thaw out 3 bottles to bring with us. Hours of IV's of fluid and meds later, I was told by the ER Doctor that I needed to stay away from Ryan (he had already been exposed but I was highly contagious) for a few days and no nursing because I was going to be put on a narcotic to help with the vomiting.

It was awful and I swear I really don't remember about 2 days last week since I was so dehydrated and weak. I pumped and dumped for 4 days and DH was on 24/7 duty since I was told not to be near my sweet boy. I did manage to sneak in a hug on the 2 day though!

I am so tired of veggie broth and crackers but at least I feel better and am back to nursing and full time mommying again. I just have 2 things to say:

*Why can they not invent a pump where you can lie down the whole time? It was so awful being so sick and having to muster the strength to sit up and pump for 20 minutes.

*I missed out on Ryan's psuedo crawling adventures last week. He is on all fours and kind of rocks back and forth for a few minutes. He just scoots backwards but it is so cute!

Happy to be back and hoping everyone is staying healthy and warm. :)

bluej
01-27-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm glad you are feeling better. That sounds like it was a doozy of an illness. I'm so proud of you and impressed that you managed to pump through all of that! I'm sure Ryan was glad to have his mommy and his milk back!

Marisa6826
01-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh Deb-

I'm SOOO sorry. Jonathan and I got hit with simultaneous food poisoning a while back. He yacks, but I got a 105 fever.

Hope you feel better soon Girlie.

BIG HUGS

-m

brigmaman
01-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Ugh!! Debbi that sounds horrible! Good thing Ryan and Dh didn't get it, too! Glad you are feeling better!

starrynight
01-27-2004, 10:48 AM
You poor thing!! I'm glad your feeling a bit better now. {hugs}

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Oh girlie...I hope you feel better soon...tummy bugs are the worst!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

cchavez
01-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Glad to hear you are feeling better!

drsweetie
01-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Debbi, I got something similar from DD about two weeks before Christmas. Whereas she had one night of vomiting and was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed the next morning, I was out of commission for about 3 days. I should have gone to the ER because I was so dehydrated, but oh well. I continued to BF because it was easier than pumping in some ways -- I totally agree with you about the lack of lie-down-able breast pumps! At least I could lie down to BF. I completely empathize with you and am wishing you a speedy recovery!

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03

Bethann31
01-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Oh, Debbi, I'm so sorry, but so glad you are feeling better now. Remember, there are a bunch of us around here, so if you ever need help, just call.

Stomach bugs are awful. You really feel like you want to die.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

sntm
01-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Debbi, you poor thing! Glad you are feeling better. And I agree, they need a zero-g breast pump.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

alkagift
01-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Oh, Debbi, how awful! I know it's so hard to keep away from your sweetie. I'm hoping that by now you're running after his little crawling self. AAGH!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

mommyj_2
01-27-2004, 02:25 PM
You poor thing! I had a similar bug right after the holidays. In fact, it hit while we were flying home. Like you, I was convinced it was food poisoning (until DH and DS got it). I actually had to throw up into a baggy at the airport...it wasn't one of my most glamorous moments, but I guess we do what we have to do.
I'm glad you're feeling better!

jubilee
01-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Glad you are feeling better! It sounds like your hubby was a big help, so kudos to him.

mharling
01-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Yuckity-yuck-yuck!! I am so sorry you had to go through that; sounds absolutely awful. :(

I am glad you're feeling better, nursing again and able to enjoy Ryan's pseudo crawling!!

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b346cc5b6556 - New pics 1/26

parkersmama
01-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Oh, Debbi! You poor thing! That sounds horrible!

I KWYM about the pump and lying down. That sure would be a lot more convenient. Nothing like warm, sticky bmilk running down your side and onto the bed. :P

AG is trying to crawl, too. That rockin' thing is too cute for words!

Hope you're feeling much, much better! Have you thought any about getting together on 2/6?

deborah_r
01-27-2004, 07:35 PM
How awful - I'm so sorry you've been so sick. It must have been awful to be sick and not to be able to go near Ryan.

I'm also now terrified because I have no freezer stash to speak of. Maybe I need to build in a pumping session in my day.

jec2
01-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Wow, gold medal mommy for sure. It just sucks being sick but having no baby hugs and pumping too. glad you're on the mend and I am sure Ryan is happy too!

toomanystrollers
01-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Hope you're feeling much better. Mommys aren't allowed to get sick :)

houseof3boys
01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Deb I am soooo happy that I had a small stash! I always said it was for emergencies and here was definitely an emergency. I am going to have to build it up again next week when I am eating normally and feel 110%. Don't know where I'll fit in a pumping session but feel like I need to since I only have 9 bags left in the freezer. I really would have been so heartbroken if I had to nurse him on those narcotics they put me on or I would have had to suffer through it and nursed him against the doctors orders. I highly recommend a freezer stash for SAHM's!! :)