PDA

View Full Version : Siblings with birthdays in the same month or close

hbangthompson
01-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Does anyone have kids whose birthdays are in the same month? Or only a few weeks apart? Thinking about #2 and I sort of feel like our son might feel slighted if a new baby was born so close to his birthday (which is already very close to Christmas), but my husband thinks I'm overthinking this too much since it's not like we would ever "forget" our kids' birthdays. Anyone else think about this, or have kids close together in birthdays and think it's not that big of a deal?

stillplayswithbarbies
01-27-2004, 03:52 PM
I know that my three cousins (siblings) had birthdays within 2 weeks of each other and they hated it. None of them felt "special" because the birthday party plannings were all going on at the same time. As they got older, they felt they would get bigger presents if mom and dad had more time to save up in between LOL.

The one who came first in the calendar gloated over the others and the one who came last felt slighted. When they were little they had a combined party, but as they got older they insisted on their own separate parties, which were then smaller because it's not as cost effective to have three small parties.

Just some things to think about. Their parents could have handled it better, but those are some issues you might face.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

twins r fun
01-27-2004, 04:17 PM
It's probably harder on you (with party planning, etc) than it would be for either child. As long as you make an effort to keep the day special for each child, they shouldn't feel slighted. My situation is slightly different (twins) but so far we've done separate cakes, separate singing and some separate/some joint gifts. When they get older I am willing to do separate parties if that is what they want. How old is your son? I think the year that the baby is born will be kind of rough for his birthday, but if he's young enough not to notice then it won't matter. Another mom on these boards had her second baby 2 days before her first daughter's birthday, but DD was too young to realize what was happening (turning 2), plus they had her b-day party a few weeks early to aviod problems. I think you can make their birthdays work with some effort, just like you can make a Christmas season birthday special with effort.

KGoes
01-27-2004, 04:28 PM
My brother and I have birthdays a week apart. I am sure that I went through a phase where this bothered me, since his came first, but honestly, it has not stuck with me. We each had a party and each had a cake - until I decided that I didn't want a cake and would rather have cherry pie.
Kelley
DD born 7/03

momathome
01-27-2004, 04:31 PM
My girls are 3 years and 5 days apart - Liza was born on 2-3-98 and Kasey was born on 2-8-01. I planned it this way although I did not expect their birthdays to be quite as close as what they are (Kasey was 2 weeks early). So far, at almost 6 and almost 3, it has not been a problem. It is nice to be able to do one big family party with 2 seperate cakes and get it all done in one shot. For the last few years, Liza has also been having a friends party (in fact, hers is this Sunday!) that we have made Kasey feel a part of - she can have one friend of her own there who happens to be the younger sibling of Liza's best friend. Next year, once Kasey turns 4, I imagine they will each be having their own friend party, plus a family party. I just plan on spreading it out over 3 weekends so it is not too nuts! We also make a big deal over their individual birthdays - they can pick where they want to go lunch, we do a small cake for just us, etc.
My brother and I have birthdays that are only 8 days apart and it was never an issue for us. My parents did the same thing that I now do for my girls - combined family parties, seperate friend parties. It always worked out fine. HTH!!!
-Lauren

Calmegja2
01-27-2004, 04:47 PM
My brother and I share a birthday, five years apart, and my middle two are 9 days apart.

It's never been an issue, either with me, or so far for my kids. Each person gets to feel special, so everything else hasn't really mattered.... My parents made it special for both of us, and we do the same for our kiddos...

DH and his sis are 4 days apart, and they've never had a problem with it, either.

If it's what's normal, I don't see why it's be a problem. Birthdays are when they are. Whatever time of year, whomever you share it with.

I'd be much more likely to get bent out of shape due to the fact that my birthday is 8 days before Christmas, but I can't muster up much for that, either! ;-)

mom2kandj
01-27-2004, 04:51 PM
One of my good friends has two kids two years apart that both have birthday parties in October. They are now age 2 & 4. She alternates the *special/themed* party each year. For instance, last October, her DD had a horse themed pony party at the local stables while DS the two year old had a family party at the local park. This year, she intends to theme DS's party and have DD celebrate her birthday with a family BBQ. She also likes to have the parties with about two weeks in between so that the parties are completely separate. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

mamahill
01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
My brother's birthday is April 17, my sister's is April 26 and mine is May 3 (I'm the oldest, sister next, then brother) and it was never an issue. I'm 3 years older than my sister and we often had combined birthdays, but I always thought it was fun. Plus, at our house it was like three weeks of birthdays - the streamers and balloons stayed up and we had cake every week. It was like Christmas again, in the Spring. I loved it and plan to have my kids all in the Spring. My next sister was born in November (because my mom had miscarried the baby that was supposed to be due in June), and then I have a sister's birthday in June and a brother in March. If anything, the sister in November feels a little left out because the group of us celebrate in the Spring.

And, with Ainsleigh's bday at the end of March and DH's the beginning of April, I think we're going to keep the trend going (subsequently, my April sister married a guy whose birthday is in May and my April brother married a girl whose bday is the end of March...weird).

Dcclerk
01-27-2004, 07:26 PM
There are 4 kids in my family and all of us have birthdays within 5 weeks. It's all we've ever known, but we never were bothered by it. We had group parties when we were little and then separate ones after that. They were never the big elaborate affairs that seem to happen nowadays (with bands, jumping castles, etc.) but we always thought they were just fine. Now, we really like it because even though we are old:), we can get together for a family celebration for all of us. I think having kids with birthdays around the same time is great, and would prefer for that to work out for us!

ddmarsh
01-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Two of my DS's were born 2 years and 3 days apart and I have thought it is really sweet and alot of fun. We have always had their birthdays together whether it be family or friends (with friends each just invites his own friends and it's one big party). They are so much alike and have so much the same interests that it's never a problem and I often have given them a larger joint birthday gift. I have really fond memories of the two of them "together" at birthdays through the years and I honestly can't imagine them any other way.

brubeck
01-27-2004, 08:34 PM
My brother's birthday is less than 3 weeks after mine but neither of us minded. We always had separate birthday parties (once we were old enough to remember the parties) and our own special celebrations on our days.

My kids have their birthdays about a month apart and this year we held a joint party for them. Being 1 and 3 they didn't mind! But since their birthdays are so close to Christmas starting next year we're going to hold the party for the half birthdays in June or so. Otherwise it's too much of a present extravaganza/drought cycle. I suspect once Amy gets old enough to mind sharing a party we'll do 2 different ones. I don't mind, each kid deserves their own shindig if they're old enough to care about it. As long as each child has their own special day I don't think it matters.

macassi
01-27-2004, 09:07 PM
My brother and I are three days apart. Growing up, I think it worked out great, because there was no jealousy over the other one getting presents. I always went first, but my brother knew that his turn was coming in just 3 days. In retrospect, I think it is a lot more work for the parent. My mom always made two cakes, and we each had a birthday party. Now that we are older, we appreciate that our birthdays are like a holiday -- it's nice to celebrate at the same time, and when we are together (he lives across the country) we have a joint celebration.

MamaKath
01-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Mine are a couple months apart and I kind of wish they were closer together. It would be fun!

Babysat siblings when I was younger that shared the same b-day just 3 years apart. They had fun joint parties every year. And they were right around Christmas as well. It never seemed an issue.