PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had pelvic pain/soreness during pregnancy? 2nd pregnancy related?

peasprout
01-27-2004, 04:27 PM
This is my 2nd pregnancy and recently I've been experiencing major pain and soreness on my pelvic bone. It hurts to put weight on my legs and I'm waddling out of necessity now. I've asked a few people including my OB and they say it's something that happens with a second pregnancy cuz your bones and ligaments are loose and streching. Is this true? I've never heard of it before. And what did you do to relieve it other than lie down? I have a 15 month old running around so I can't exacly lie down all the time. Does it go away after birth? I've also read that in most cases where women have pelvic pain, their baby has been in the breach position or facing the wrong way. Anyone have firsthand experience? Thanks!

Momof3Labs
01-27-2004, 04:36 PM
I had that problem for the last 2-3 months of my pregnancy. I couldn't sit very well unless I had a nice big fluffy pillow - so I had to haul one into work! But it still hurt - I don't look forward to that part of pregnancy for #2.

Be careful about doing anything that requires you to "split" your knees apart - like climbing into a car (sit down with knees together and then pivot into place), climbing over a baby gate (remove the gate to go through or get the walk-through kind), and I found that sleeping *without* a pillow between my knees helped.

Colin was not breech (turned upside down by 32 weeks and stayed there) or facing the wrong way.

The good news is that it was gone within a week after birth!

Hang in there; how much longer to go??

bluej
01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
I had that pain w/ my third pregnancy. There were days I swore that if I squatted the baby would come out. Honestly, I think that was the worse part about being pregnant. Ryden was breach until a few weeks before he was born. Unfortunately the pain didn't go away after he got into the correct position. But it did go away after birth. I used a heating pad for very short periods when the pain was unbearable. I also went w/o the pillow b/w the legs, it just seemed to make things worse. Hang in there and for your sake I hope your due date is soon b/c I know how miserable that pain is.

parkersmama
01-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Unfortunately, I believe it's normal. I had terrible sciatica and a little hip pain with Wesley. With Amy Grace, the hip pain was unbearable but the sciatica was a little better. (These are babies #2 & #3!)

I agree with the others, definitely *no* pillow between the knees when sleeping. Also, avoid staying in one position for too long. If I sat down for too long, I looked like a 90-year-old woman trying to get up and walk! I had this pain in the early months of my 3rd pregnancy and then it went away for months, only to return and bring friends in about month 7! It did get better after the birth but I still had it occasionally for about 3 or 4 months, especially if I tried lying flat on my back for very long.

A heating pad or heated rice bag helped me, too. It also seemed to help sometimes to use my hands to "lift" my tummy up...especially in the shower. That made me wonder if getting one of those "belly belts" would have helped but I never did get one.

Hope you feel better and can get some relief!

ETA: Both Wesley and Amy Grace were head down and in normal position. My only breech was Parker and I did *not* have this kind of pain with him!

Marisa6826
01-27-2004, 06:42 PM
I had HORRIBLE hip (inner hip) pain during and after my pregnancy with Sophie. It got to the point where I couldn't lift my legs to put on my pants.

Try taking regular doses of Tylenol or Advil (my preference) every 5-1/2 hours. It made a difference. Sometimes heating pads can help, but really the only solution I found was to lie down.

Also, the pillow between the knees position made things MUCH worse for me.

-m

Jacksonvol
01-27-2004, 07:21 PM
I remember that pain. It felt like I had been kicked by a mule and it really is the streching of the ligaments. I don't think it had anything to do with Emily's position, she was head down for some time. I used one of the "belly belts", but truly it only totally went away after delivery. hang in there, this to shall pass!
Lisa

jesseandgrace
01-27-2004, 07:39 PM
I had exactly what you are describing, but it didn't last through the entire pregnancy. it just kind of came and went. DO NOT take ADVIL, it can be very dangerous during pregnancy, particularly in the third trimester! I was a criminal prosecutor and I had to keep getting up every time I had to address the judge, it was a nightmare! Mine also went away right after DD was born. It was definitely hard to deal with DS during the times when it was hurting because I could not run around after him at all. DH really had to step in and do everything. Try to rest, and hang in there!

ethansmom
01-27-2004, 08:08 PM
DS was never breach but I had exactly that pain. My midwife said DS was bruising the bone. A belly bra helped tremendously. I used the prenatal cradle that happened to be at www.kidsurplus.com the last time I checked.

phirey
01-27-2004, 10:13 PM
This is one of the most common questions I get from my patients. It is not just a second pregnancy thing, in fact many women experience it with each and every pregnancy. It is more common as you move into the third trimester, and does go away after the baby is born. Yes, it is due to the stretching of ligaments and cartilage in your pelvic joints. The lower back pain one is more ligaments, and the one in the front (where it feels like you fell on a boy's bike) is actually from the pubic symphysis splitting apart at the cartilage that joins the pelvic girdle in front.

I agree with most of the advice here, especially to watch the leg splitting movements and the no ibuprofen. But do watch it with the heating pad. I only allow patients to use it on their back. Do not place it on your belly -- the fetus can get too hot! If you're one of the people who doesn't like the pillow between your knees, try supporting your waist with a small roll when side-lying. Often the belly bra things work too.

Other tips: avoid standing "cocked," with one hip jutting out; avoid twisting; avoid all jarring activties (not a good time for kickboxing); avoid soft, low seats (eg beanbag chairs). Water exercise has been shown to help, so maybe take a toddler swim class and get in the water, too. Also, if you're so inclined, a number of studies suggest accupuncture can really help with this pain -- just be sure to go to a professional who is aware that certain accupuncture points have been associated with uterine contractions and pose a risk of premature labor.

I don't know if this is any comfort to you, but what I find most ironic about treating this pain is that, every other time you have ligament pain (or worse yet -- ripping cartilage pain!) we call it a strain or sprain. If it's an ankle or knee you frequently end up in a splint or cast and on crutches. But in obstetrics, when people have this same pain, we tilt our heads, say "Awww, yeah, I'm sorry -- that's normal -- try Tylenol!"
Crazy, isn't it?

HTH

peanut4us
01-27-2004, 10:43 PM
I must be some kind of a wuss or something. My OB said I had Symphisis Dysfuntion at about 7 months. But I couldn't even get up... She sent me to an orthopaedist, and after they conferred, I got placed on bedrest for the duration. Just rolling over in bed hurt so much. And everything was so loosened up that my OB was afraid the weight of the baby was going to break my pubic bone (entirely separate the ligament). It sucked. I've never had pain like that in my life (and I've had 10 kidney stones, so I know pain), not even labor.

If it hurts excessively, talk to your OB. I had the impression that this was not something to screw around with.

parkersmama
01-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi, Peggy! Glad to see you here...I feel like I don't "see" you much lately. Have things been busy?

Thanks for clarifying the heating pad thing. I should have said that I only used it on my back! Sorry...my slip-up. :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-27-2004, 11:03 PM
I suffered with the pain towards the end of my pregnancy but after having Tristan my symptoms seem to most resemble Marisa's pain...it took all of strength to get up the stairs and I had to lify my legs with my hands. I'll be honest I still limp heavily due to it. I don't say that to scare you because I am obviously in the extreme minority since I have never seen this discussed here post baby...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Marisa6826
01-27-2004, 11:24 PM
I forgot to mention the Tylenol was for during the pregnancy and Advil afterward. I had that nasty pain for a good 8 months after having Sophie.

Sorry for the lack of clarification.

-m

Marisa6826
01-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Joey-

I remember getting stuck in bed, having to pee and just crying because I couldn't move from the pain.

UGH. I totally forgot about this until your post!

-m

winterwonderland
01-27-2004, 11:59 PM
I too suffered from this pain from the 7th month on. My pelvis was out of place and I needed physical therapy for two months afterwards. I still experience pain and discomfort in my pelvis and lower back. I am afraid of chiropractors but have actually though about seeing one for some relief. Best wishes!

peasprout
01-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Seven months seems to be the unlucky number here,...that's exactly how far along I am! It's a relief to know it's a pretty common thing since no moms I know have ever mentioned it to me before. I guess I shouldn't complain since I never had the typical morning sickness stuff, but boy does it hurt sometimes!! Hmm, I just thought of something,...does it make labor even more painful or easier (since the ligaments are already streched?) I was epidural free with my first and was hoping to do so again with #2, but I already feel so bruised that I can't imagine what the pain would be like with a baby pushing on it!

Momof3Labs
01-28-2004, 08:55 AM
I don't have anything to compare it to, but I would not consider my labor easy!

bluej
01-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Oh, yeah, this is bringing back all sorts of memories (not good ones mind you!). Yep, being flat on my back and in incredible pain but not being able to roll over to get into a new position. Sleep was impossible. Now I remember why I'm not having any more children! Labor and delivery pale in comparison, really.

bluej
01-28-2004, 09:33 AM
It's *suppose* to make labor shorter I believe. I don't know about delivery being easier. If that brings you comfort then I'll let you know that if I had been able to start pushing as soon as the urge hit, my last labor would have only been an hour and a half. However, we were still at home and had to drive to the hospital yet, so I held him in for an additional 50 minutes.

As for the heating pad, I used it on my way lower back, somewhat on my bum region.

trumansmom
01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Peggy-

Thank you for your answer! I have this pain in addition to a "trigger point" that keeps flaring up in my lower abdomen. For what it's worth, your comments WERE comforting. It's alway nice to hear there's a reason for my whining!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

amp
01-28-2004, 01:21 PM
You mean my pelvis was supposed to wait until the next pregnancy to start that?! Boy, I got rooked! Can't wait to see how painful it is in the next pregnancy! Obviously I'm quite familiar with that excruciating, ongoing pain. Never found anything to alleviate it. It went away when he was born, or perhaps shortly before. And DS was not in the breech position, nor was he turned the wrong way. My OB assured me it was just my pelvis (which was small), growing and streching to accomodate a baby. Too bad he came out my belly and not my wazoo, and all that pain wasn't even necessary!