PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your babes out to "play" in the snow?

bnme
01-28-2004, 09:39 AM
We got about a foot of snow today and I am feeling guilty about having no desire to take DS out in his sled.

Its actually warmer than it has been compared to previous snow-days we've had, so I have no excuse! I just don't feel like suiting the both of us up, especially since the snow will be over my boots and I really don't want to put my ski pants on! And getting him suited up takes forever. And in this much snow I guess he will have to stay in the sled-or else practically be buried in the snow!

But I feel like I am being selfish and cheating him out of the experience. I should say he has only been out (meaning out to play) in the snow once and we have had a ton of snow in NY so far. But it has been bitterly cold most of the time. And the most recent snow fall was very icy. Oh, and his LE boots just arrived last week and I haven't used them yet!

Just wondering what other Mommies were doing in the snow.

shishamo
01-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Hi,
I know what you mean! My DS's preschool is closed due to snow (we're in NY also), and I feel that I 'really'should take him out. But it's so much work, and I have two to suit. Maybe in the afternoon when everyone is bored to death....

brigmaman
01-28-2004, 09:53 AM
Lol! I took ds out a last week when it was really cold (see pix below) but that was pretty much because my brother agreed to pull him around in his new sled. Now we have nice, warmer snow, and dh is home from school (NY also) so he will probably take ds out. I may go too just because we've been cooped up with the cold and unable to walk like we usually do. (We have no indoor mall nearby. :()

August Mom
01-28-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm actually the one who's been wanting to go out in the snow. :) Yesterday, I asked DS if he wanted to go outside and play in the snow and he shook his head no. I was disappointed. But, I tried again later in the day and didn't get a no, so outside we went. I really wanted to try out his sled. I pulled him around the yard and down the icy slope of the driveway. I also made snowballs for him to hold and throw. He wound up making up a game of putting the snowballs in a shovel on the ground. I think he wound up having fun. He loves using his kiddie shovel. Anyway, I really don't find the snow overalls and boots that much more work than the coat, but obviously it's up to you.

lukkykatt
01-28-2004, 11:20 AM
We took both our boys out the first time it snowed this year. My 19 month old is a little daredevil and I thought he would be rolling in the snow. His boot came off within 5 minutes of being out and he cried and cried - that was it for his snow experience.

So, this time when it snowed, we just took my older son out. I'm waiting for a day with just an inch or two of snow to try again. Meanwhile, DH took DS out earlier in the week. Today he is still off of school, and begging to go out - I guess I'll have to wait til my little one takes his nap.

barbarhow
01-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Snow? What snow? Can't believe that we live in Maine and have none. DS got a sled for Christmas and I got cross country skis and we have yet to be able to use either. :-( Send some of your snow this way, please!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

cinrein
01-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Well, Anna's first BIG snow came when she was just days old and I was so bummed she couldn't experience it. Then her second snow came earlier this year and I had no boots, no mittens, and a snowsuit from Grandma that was sooo big it totally pissed her off to wear it. Now we just had her third snow and Momma was prepared. We suited up and dragged her around in her little sled that Santa brought---which she loved! We only stayed out about 5 minutes since it was very cold. Plus our snow wasn't that deep, so my suiting up only required boots and hat/gloves/scarf. Now that we have some "first" snow pictures of Anna, I'm not all that anxious to go out again! It's cold!
Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

twins r fun
01-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Last year Jacob and Caleb didn't really enjoy the snow too much so my motivation for taking them out wasn't so good. This year (at 2) they love it so we've been out 5 times in 3 days. Still a hassle, but at least a worthwhile one. Plus DH is a teacher and off from school so we each dress one kid and it's not too bad.

momathome
01-28-2004, 02:50 PM
This is going to sound awful but the girls were begging me to go out and play in the snow on Monday but I did not want to be out there, so I bundled them up in their snowsuits and told them they could play on the deck. I sat in the kitchen and watched them through the sliding glass door while they played on the deck for about 45 minutes, using their beach toys to dig through the snow. At almost 6 and almost 3, they do not need me right on top of them (thank GOD!!!) and they play nicely together. I do feel ever so slightly guilty, but, oh well~
-Lauren

twins r fun
01-28-2004, 02:52 PM
That sounds luxurious!! Those days will come, huh? Don't feel guilty-you've worked really hard to get to the point where you can do that!

stillplayswithbarbies
01-28-2004, 03:55 PM
We took Logan out last weekend to play, and she fell asleep. Seriously. Jake was pulling her around in the sled and I was taking pics and I looked closely and she was sleeping!

See: http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3473dc28453

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mik8
01-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Karen, btw, Logan looks so adorable in that sled but that is sooo funny.

HoneymoonBaby
01-28-2004, 05:03 PM
I grew up in California and never played in the snow. I turned out okay. :)

Now that I live on the East Coast, I'm sure I'll take my kids out in the snow for playtime once in a while -- but I'm not going to feel like I'm cheating them out of anything if I decide it's too cold or too much of a hassle more often than not. If they specifically ask to go outside, I may feel differently, but I'm not going to take them out just for the sake of giving them a memory.

cinrein
01-28-2004, 05:03 PM
LOL! That's so cute!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

C99
01-29-2004, 01:51 AM
I want to because I *love* playing in the snow, just walking in the snow, but I haven't done much more than walking in the snow (with Nate in the frame backpack) for 2 reasons:

1) He doesn't have a wind/waterproof snow suit
2) He's just like his daddy and likes looking at the snow from inside rather than sitting in it!

brigmaman
01-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Karen, that is adorable! I think I'll try it today...maybe it'll work for us too!

brigmaman
01-29-2004, 08:49 AM
After all my good intentions, we took a 2 hour nap instead! And I don't regret it at all!