PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with a Toddler : LONG travel days and time zones.

etwahl
01-28-2004, 07:22 PM
i have some questions about travelling with a toddler. my family lives 3 times zones away in western canada. from the town we're living in, it's 2-3 stopovers and 10-13 hours to get there. That doesn't include the extra time it takes to get to the airport and be there early, plus the time it takes on the other end to get the baggage, car rental, install the car seat, and then an hour's drive to get to my home town.

it is my opinion that this is just going to be too hard on lauren at one year and a couple months old. i have heard that the 3 time zone thing alone will take some time to adjust to.

part of me is hesitant to go as well because i have family members who pretty much chain smoke, and i won't allow my child to be among smoke...so that means i have to have the conversation about them not smoking inside with her there (which probably won't go over too well anyway!) when we went to get her checked for an ear infection this weekend (she didn't have one) the ped talked to us about smoking and how even someone holding her who smokes can transfer that onto her - he said they should go outside to smoke, wear a jacket, and then take it off when they come inside if they want to hold her. okay, i know that most people NEVER go that far, but i actually think getting my one brother to go outside to smoke will be REALLY difficult. he's pretty stubborn, and doesn't have kids.

but even if i did get him to smoke outside, then i still have to think about such a horrible travel experience. we'd only stay a week maximum, and that would mean two FULL days of travel - one on each end. i don't know if it's worth it at this age for her (or for my sanity).

i'm curious what others think. i know lots have done major travel, and i'm sure some kids travel better than others, but just curious.

oh yeah, just curious what other co-sleepers do when they are away from home. we have our bed on the floor. when we are out of town, we always get a hotel with a king bed, but we also watch her really closely. how do you keep your cosleeping kids safe when you're not at home?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

wendmatt
01-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Depends how much you want to see family! The smoking thing would put me off! It would be tough on her I'm sure but I know many people who've travelled about the same distance and their children have adjusted. I'm sure Lauren would be OK, maybe her sleep would be messed up for a while, but you could work around it I'm sure. I'm planning to take dd to UK and that's 24hrs from here (aahhhh!!) Not looking forward to that journey I can tell you and then it's 10 hrs difference too, what fun we'll be having with sleep!
We don't cosleep so I can't help you there, have a great trip if you decide to go, sorry I wasn't much help!

Kimberly H
01-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Tammy,

Mia is still adjusting to the time zone/flight issues and it's not easy, even with a VERY easy baby. She's stopped sleeping through the night and her naps are messed up. The flights also were a pain and it would've been tougher if she were walking. As it was, she was pretty content in our laps for the most part.

Hope that helps a little bit.

newbelly2002
01-29-2004, 05:30 AM
As a pp said: depends on how much you want what's on the other end.

We traveled with Dante back to the States at 14 mths. It was a 6 hour time change, and a 1.5 hr and then 8 hour flight with a layover in Frankfurt. It wasn't fun. Doable but not fun. We stayed for two weeks and I would say it took about one week just to adjust. If you decide to do it, you might for Lauren's sake, think about staying an extra couple of days. Then again, if that would sacrifice YOUR sanity, then perhaps it's not just a good idea :)

Going East the time change is far easier than coming west. And if you travel by plane be vigilant about germs. We wiped down the arm rests, put neosporin around teh edges of all of our noses (Thank you, Rachel!) and washed our hands neurotically. It was the only time we have traveled and not caught a cold on the plane.

Now, all that said, I wouldn't not travel. It was important for us to see family and friends, and we just understood that traveling would take some after adjustment as well.

I'm happy to offer more tips in an email if you decide to go that route--what worked and didn't work for us!
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02