PDA

View Full Version : Totally stressed out. My 3 month old fell out of bed!

Grace_underfire
01-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I am the worst mother! I was taking my baby out of the Bjorn and put him on top of the bed for a second and he slid out! I cannot believe it. There was a chair next to the bed that I think slowed his fall because he was barely to the floor when I got him. It was so quick I dont even know what happened.

He cried but was easily consoled by breastfeeding! (It fixes everything) - He is acting pretty normal. I called the ped and they said to watch for vomiting, bruises that grow too much and lethargy.

Has this happened to you? Were your babies ok?

I am so worried and feel so guilty!

:(

flagger
01-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Yes it has happened to us. Yes she was ok.

Don't feel guilty, as more than likely your DS is fine. Just know the signs of a concussion which your pedi should have told you.

Parenting is like flying an airplane. Long stretches of boredom/routine interspersed with moments of sheer terror.

He will fall more as he becomes more mobile. Cocoa has been face planting a bit as she scoots around on all fours.

bluej
01-29-2004, 06:14 PM
This has happened to every parent. And the ones that say it hasn't happened are lying :)

Melanie
01-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Yes, it happened to us, twice. One of the times it was totaly mommy instinct (20 seconds too late). Ds was napping and I thought, "I'm surprised he's not awake by now" and started heading upstairs. He was about 8 months old. As I got halfway up the stairs there was a THUMP! He was laying on his back on the floor at the end of the bed, totally stunned, then he started crying. It was so strange that he woke up silently (I had a monitor). The other time was like yours in that I was right there but just out of reach and didn't expect the quick movement he made right onto the floor.

As usual, I have to strongly recommend taking the little one to a chiropractor b/c a fall like that is likely to have pushed their neck & back out of alignment which can cause health problems down the road.
FWIW, it was within a few weeks after the second time that he started to have his ear problems.

Your not a bad mommy! Unless of course I am, too, and that just can't be the case. ;)

llcoddington
01-29-2004, 07:26 PM
This hasn't happened to me yet (8 week old), but I saw something very bad happen. I was talking to a friend and her newborn was in his car seat carrier, but not strapped in. We were sitting on the concrete steps in front of her house. Somehow, he flipped himself right out of the carrier and landed on the concrete. I have NO idea how this happened; he was just a tiny baby! Fortunately, all he suffered was scraped knuckles. Scared his poor mom half to death!

Lana
mom to Lauren 12/5/03