PDA

View Full Version : Interviewing a nanny and need good questions to ask...

StaceyKim
01-29-2004, 09:51 PM
This will be my first interview with a nanny (through an agency) and wanted to know if anyone had a list of good questions. This will be a live-OUT position only.
Thanks in advance!

Gayletmomto4
01-29-2004, 11:45 PM
I have used an excellent book called "The Nanny Book" by Susan Carlton & Coco Myers in my 2 hiring decisions (also live-outs). It covers not only interviews and checking references but also pay packages, vacation time, sticky situations, etc.

I asked questions like "Tell me what you would do in a typical day with my children" which gave me insight into whether she would spend the day outside, how much time would be spent in front of the t.v., whether she does projects with the kids and how rigid or flexible she might be. I also came up with a couple of specific behavioral "incidents" and asked how she would handle each which gave me an idea about her discipline philosophy/style. Mostly, I tried to get each interviewee to talk as much as possible about herself and her past experiences so that I could get a good feel for her as a person.

I got the most information from having the three candidates that I was most interested in come to my house a couple of times on the weekends to help with the kids (I paid them). I tried to sort of do my usual routine and run errands, etc. so that I was in and out. I was able to watch each with the kids and see their style.

Lastly, the book really helped me with how to check a reference.

Good Luck!

StaceyKim
01-30-2004, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info!
I am a SAHM so I will be home a lot supervising/watching especially when they first start working for us but also in general. I am going to have 2 kids under the age of 2 so I need an extra set of eyes and hands.
I will see if I can get my hands on that book before this weekend!
Thanks again!

loewymartin
01-30-2004, 12:30 AM
We used a site called www.4nannies.com. There was also a list of interview questions at www.babycenter.com at one point in time. We looked at a few sites and then came up with a combined list of questions. Good luck!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

StaceyKim
02-01-2004, 11:44 AM
excellent! thanks! those sites were very helpful.