PDA

View Full Version : OT: We need a new printer

Rachels
01-29-2004, 10:42 PM
What's good? We have a PC (to which I am still adjusting), and I need something good that doesn't cost a fortune. An inkjet is fine as long as I can do color and double-sided printing. And the more idiot-proof, the better. What do you recommend?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
01-29-2004, 10:46 PM
I love my HP's personally. Relatively cheap and can do what is required of them. Ms. Flagger always says if you want to print in colour, spend more money and get one with separate colour cartridges (Cyan/Yellow/Magenta) instead of all in ones so you don't have to replace the entire cartridge when one colour runs out.

I like HPs because when they die, they are pretty cheap to replace. We have bought prior ones at Sam's club, but knowing how HP makes different models specific to Wal-Mart/Sam's, (Cheaper materials) I will be more inclined to buy our next one online.

sweetbasil
01-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Ours just died too, Rachel, and we got a new all-in-one HP 4110 printer/scanner/fax/copier from HP.com- it's great, rated well, was pretty cheap ($160ish), and I was able to go through ebates to get a little cash back, besides using an HP coupon code we had ;)

Happy printer shopping....

Rachels
01-29-2004, 11:14 PM
As a follow-up, what do you think of printers that also scan, etc? Clay's opinion is that they probably don't do anything well if they're doing a bunch of different stuff, but the reviews I've read seem pretty good. Anybody have a vote?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
01-29-2004, 11:17 PM
I feel the same way about multifunctions for consumers as I do about DVD/VHS combos. You are up a creek without a paddle if one dies and not the other.

Ms. Flagger's work has a great XEROX scanner/copier, etc. but it is also high dollar. LOL

em_jon98
01-30-2004, 12:54 AM
I purchased an Epson C82 last fall from Best Buy and have been extremely pleased with its speed and clarity, in both color and black. It is also super easy to use.

I needed to replace my 8+ year old HP, and found the C82 on sale with a mail in rebate, making the price around $30-40. Check the Sunday ads for Best Buy, CompUSA, and Circuit City, as well as Office Max/Depot and Staples. Someone usually has a mail in rebate on some type of inkjet printer, making it about the price of replacing an ink cartridge in your old printer.

heva
01-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Normally, DH is of the same opinion as Flagger on this one (don't put all your eggs in one basket because the basket may break...), but this topic is an exception, just because HP makes GREAT All-In-One devices. We bought the HP OfficeJet 7130 last year and love it. Not only can you scan, you can copy, fax, and print double sided without turning the paper over manually. My SIL has the newer model (PSC 2524, I think) that enables you to use it wirelessly (ooh, new word!) if you have a wireless access point in your house. Any computer on your home network can print to it - very cool, especially if you have a laptop.

jd11365
01-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Circuit City online has one for $29.99 w/free shipping...

http://tinyurl.com/29x5k

It's pretty basic...but a good deal none the less...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03