PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming shower for 14 mo old and we already have everything

Kimberly H
01-30-2004, 12:23 AM
A dear friend from church wants to throw me a shower now that Mia is home and asked me to a make a list of what I need...which is nothing! A couple of other friends and neighbors want to buy her something and are asking me too.

We don't have any really fun stores in town (Gymboree, BabiesRUs, etc.) and most people will stick to the outlet malls (no Hanna either) or Wal-Mart/Target.

Seriously, I did a lot of research and shopping and bought just about everything we need - car seat, crib, high chair, strollers, etc. - well before we left for China. Did some eBay and Gymboree/BRU (both 2 hours away in Charleston) shopping also and we have plenty of clothes for now, until we see how being home affects Mia's growth.

The only big ticket item I'm still on the fence about is a high quality lighweight umbrella-ish stroller for quick trips, but that's not something you'll find in town so I'm waiting to do that this spring when I go back to BRU, hopefully with the big coupon book due out next month.

I was thinking of asking for books as I'm a HUGE reader and want to instill that love in Mia too, but am open to other ideas.

Help? :)

stillplayswithbarbies
01-30-2004, 12:45 AM
could you ask for gift cards to Toys R Us (which can also be used at Babies R Us). Just tell her you are saving up for a stroller.

Or gift certificates so that you can buy clothes as she grows.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

vikivoly
01-30-2004, 12:52 AM
What about picture frames or a gift certificate for a professional portrait of your new family?

mharling
01-30-2004, 01:46 AM
I think books are a great idea and could even be the theme of the shower (not sure about suggesting your own theme though ;) ).

What about having people bring you meals? Or a gift for the whole family? Or have people contribute towards one bigger item?

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b346cc5b6556 - New pics 1/26

mharling
01-30-2004, 01:46 AM
Double post.

mamahill
01-30-2004, 02:58 AM
I think books are a great idea. If people ask what they should bring, maybe suggest their favorite childhood book, and then their favorite adolescent book - something for her to grow into. My dad gave me 5 books from various parts of my childhood that reminded him of me at my rehearsal dinner (wedding, not labor, lol!) to pass on to my daughter - everything from Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever up to 'The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" and "The Princess Bride." I also got a lot of books at my shower, but I have bought at least twice that many since. Oh, and I've been to a book shower before, too.

Melanie
01-30-2004, 03:17 AM
What about starting a college fund. I believe I heard of one which gives you envelopes or something to give to relatives...can't recall.

Photographer gift certificates...I'm sure you'll be needing lots of those!

Any outdoor toys? Climbing structure? Play house? Trike...?

Online gift certificates to the stores you like (you mentioned gymbo...).

Are there places your family likes to go? I'm thinking kid-friendly places like zoo or something. Maybe a gift certificate or membership. Are there activity classes you might want to attend?

Try to think of things you'll be wanting/using in the next 8 months before holidays and then her birthday come around, not just necessarily right now.

cchavez
01-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Books would be great!!! And diapers!!!

Jen in Chicago
01-30-2004, 10:47 AM
My Mom's friends threw me a book shower and it was so much fun. The ladies all had such a good time picking out the books. They gave us a cute basket that was filled with books in the end. We read a lot, so it was perfect. You can never have to many books.

We are throwing a TOY shower for a friend. They have all of the other stuff. Sounds like you may be covered here.

lisams
01-30-2004, 01:24 PM
I also think the books, diapers and toys ideas are great! DD is 14 months also and LOVES her toddler swing (Target has them). She's also enjoying her sandbox and wagon. Diapers are great - you'll need more of those ;) Have fun, that's wonderful that you get a shower for your daughter!!!

Lisa

Tondi G
01-30-2004, 06:18 PM
I would say the books are a GREAT idea!!!! The Diapers are also helpful too! Be sure to specify what type of diapers you like to use.. Huggies/Pampers/other! How about DVD's/Videos... ie Baby Einstein, Elmo, Wiggles etc...

The gift cards from BRU or TRU are also a great idea! Explain that there is a particular stroller you want from BRU and that the gift cards will make that purchase a whole lot easier!

What about going on the Amazon/TRU/BRU website and making up a wish list for You/Mia? Ideas of what it could include are maybe a tricycle (check out the kettler kiddio Supertrike 4) , possibly the umbrella stroller of your choice, backyard toys (sandbox and accessories, swing set, wagon, ride ons/cozy coupe car, little tikes slide or playhouse), also books and other toys you think she might like! That way people can either buy you something off the website and have it shipped OR will have an idea of what you are looking for as far as books and DVD's go! even if they don't buy from there is it a good starting point for them to go from!!!!

I'm sure you know you will get a fair ammount of clothes so if you have a lot in this size you can always tell people to buy for summertime in the next size up... just so they will know not to buy her heavy sweaters when it will be warm out!

what about gift certificates for classes??? maybe Gymboree or my gym? even a mommy and me yoga or swim class????

be sure to ask for lots of board books in addition to books you will read to her.... just so she has some she can hold and play with! Lots of the standard childrens classics come in board book style .... ie goodnight moon, pat the bunny, runaway bunny etc.)

Good Luck and Hope this helps you!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

pritchettzoo
01-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Another vote for books! A friend and I threw another friend a book shower and it was a big hit. The invites were little books and we asked people to bring their favorite childhood books. It was a lot of fun!

Congratulations on being home safe and sound with your little princess!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

parkersmama
01-31-2004, 05:30 PM
I vote for a book shower too! What fun!!! We love books and have shelves full of children's books. It would be a great way for everyone to participate and for you to connect with Mia, too.

suribear
01-31-2004, 11:14 PM
Books are the ONE gift that I almost always like, unless they involve disney princesses.

So another vote for books! Do you eat out or travel a lot? how about a me too hook on seat? or a sling? clothes in a bigger size(specify the size), children's music.. You could ask them to bring their favorite children's book or songs.

It's very sweet that they want to celebrate with you :)

Kris