PDA

View Full Version : OT: How do you clean the sole plate of an iron???

egoldber
02-10-2004, 09:48 PM
GRRRRRRR! My MIL was here last weekend and used my iron on of my FIL's shirts. It was a polysester/nylon short (like the ones by Columbia or North Face) and she ruined it by having the iron set too hot. What she DIDN'T tell me was that the sole plate now has nylon gunk on it. A fact which I discovered when I ironed a piece of fabric today and got nylon all over! Double GRRRR!

This is my fancy, expensive Rowenta that I use for quilting and was my birthday present a few years ago. I looked at the Rowenta website, but they said to buy a "plate cleaning kit" at "any" store. I've never seen or heard of such a thing?

Does anyone know how to get this off? Its a teflon plate if that matters.

TIA!

muskiesusan
02-10-2004, 09:53 PM
I don't have any on hand, so I don't know the name, but I get iron cleaner from Joanne Fabric's. It comes in a tub and is pretty inexpensive.

ETA: We have the Rowenta Professional Luxe model.

Good Luck!

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

sweetbasil
02-10-2004, 10:28 PM
I've seen cleaners for Rowentas at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Linens-n-Things, both of which sell Rowentas. I hope you've got one close by and can get that iron working smoothly again soon!

LD92599
02-10-2004, 11:23 PM
We've used the Rowenta cleaner and it's SUPER! Somehow (OK, had to be me!) I think interfacing residue was all over the soleplate..their cleaner took care of it!

I've seen it in BB&B but we bought it here ($8.95 and free shipping..we had it within approx 2 days): http://www.appliances.com/x0x2474/603.html

Laura
mom to William

daisymommy
02-11-2004, 01:47 PM
They sell iron plate cleaner at Walmart in the laundry detergent isle at Walmart if you can't find the specific brand you're looking for.

macassi
02-11-2004, 05:05 PM
I think I've seen the Rowenta cleaner at Target. It comes in a little tube, much like an ointment would.

I had gunk on my Rowenta iron (which also almost killed me) and I put some vinegar on a towel and was able to wipe it clean with that. You might want to try that approach before you buy the cleaner. However, my mom, who quilts ALL the time, swears by the Rowenta cleaner.

sweetbasil
02-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Great, Laura...thanks! I just ordered some- that'll be great to have on hand, and w/free shipping, I couldn't resist! :)