PDA

View Full Version : Why won't she take a pacifier anymore? Help . . .

dueinmay
02-11-2004, 01:21 AM
Has this happened to anyone else? Up until a few weeks, DD could be calmed from crying by sucking on a pacifier or my finger, but now she will have absolutely nothing to do with either. If I offer either, she gets even more upset and cries harder. When she cries like this (often it's when she is tired and needs to fall asleep), she has to nurse -- well, sometimes just suck, actually, not taking any milk.

Is there anything I can do? Oddly enough, she doesn't mind taking a bottle -- even though we didn't give her one at all for a couple months, accepted it immediately when we offered it again.

Thanks for any advice!! This is driving me crazy! :)

Rebecca
It's a girl! 5.14.03

jubilee
02-11-2004, 02:12 AM
My DS suddenly stopped taking the pacificer also, and we later figured out he quit it when he cut his first tooth. Now, he won't take it at all. It was a hard transition for him, but he eventually found his thumb. He only sucks his thumb when he is really tired, so only a few times a week.

bluej
02-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Ryden gave up his pacifier at about 5 months. He only used it at nap and bedtime. That also seemed to be about the same time he attached to a blankie. We never tried to reintroduce it, we just thanked out lucky stars that he gave it up on his own.

jd11365
02-11-2004, 10:14 AM
I know what you mean and our kids are the same age. Kayla didn't take it until 5 months when she would only take it at night. Now it's harder to put her down because she spits out the pacifier. Sometimes it's kinda funny...she will spit it across the room! Maybe I should enter her in a watermelon spitting contest when she's older...she's pretty good! ;)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Melanie
02-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Yep, same thing happened to us around 5 months. I just figured it saved having to deal with the "is he too old to have a pacifier" issue later. I just ended up nursing him a lot more. I wonder if maybe it was a growth spurt and he was hungrier then, I don't know.