PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about guitars?

eaj7889
02-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm looking to purchase a new guitar for my husband. He has an acoustic guitar that he plays nightly and sings to our new son. He's had this guitar since he was a teenager...it's old... and I thought it would be nice to get him something new. I know nothing! What should I look for, what brands, etc..... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

snp624
02-12-2004, 12:38 PM
My DH is into guitars, classic and electric, but I'm sure he can suggest some acoustic. (He wants one but can't afford one, besides, he has enough!!) Could you tell me what your budget is?

ETA, here is recommendation from DH (he emailed me):
In my research about the best acoustic guitars, I have heard the best feedback about Collings. Goodall and Breedlove are also currently considered to be great acoustics but all 3 of those are at the high end. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Martin D28, which is all time classic standard middle-of-the road acoustic guitar by which that will set you back about $1500. A martin D18 is also a good choice for a bit less money. If I were going to buy myself an acoustic guitar, I would probably go for a Martin D28 or a Collings (not sure which one) right now. Taylor is also a very good choice and probably offers a good value although I haven't played any in recent years. But from what I hear, Collings is the way to go right now. My dream acoustic is a Martin D45, but that is too pricey at this point. :)

Jeanmick
02-12-2004, 12:50 PM
If money is no object, my DH suggests Taylor Guitars (he's a guitar snob...by his own admission). He says that these guitars are of really good quality and sound great...no, wait...INCREDIBLE (he's looking over my shoulder as I type this. :P). If you're on a budget, look for Epiphone, Washburn or other Japanese-made acoustics. HTH!