PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good food-allergy cookbook (for kids' meals)?

kristine_elen
02-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Jack is allergic to milk and can't eat anything with any milk-derived product. I'm looking for a good cookbook for recipes of things to make for him. I see some on Amazon.com but have no idea which one to buy. Anyone have experience with this? (I'm a vegetarian, by the way, and although I feed turkey to Jack, I really want to avoid making things where I have to put my hand inside of a bird or de-bone a slab of meat or anything like that...) Thanks!

luvbeinmama
02-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Yeah, it's a pain to cook without milk, huh? Toss out half the casseroles you used to make, etc. Pretty much you can substitute soy or rice milk for cow's milk in any recipe. Sorry, I really don't have a cookbook recommendation, I just don't make things like creamed chipped beef (one of my childhood fav's). But I have a couple good recipes for chicken that call for milk and I just use soy milk. You would never know the difference. I know this doesn't really help much, but you can probably use some of your old recipes just by substituting ingredients. HTH.

AngelaS
02-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Have you checked with the food allergy network? They have a website and may have something like that. :D

mom2kandj
02-13-2004, 12:21 PM
There's a really HUGE Yahoo group that has some great recipes and links to great allergen free sites. POFAK(parents of food allergy kids) does have a restricted membership, so you do have to apply and they take about a week to get back to you. My favorite thing about the group is that they will point you in the direction of some companies that offer mixes/complete meals that making cooking much easier for an allergic child. DD is allergic to dairy, eggs, and oranges and this site has made it much easier to avoid her allergens without spending hours in the kitchen! HTH!

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/POFAK/

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02