PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with this dilemma!

CBB
02-13-2004, 04:15 PM
DH's aunt will be moving in to help us with DD after she's born. We are very excited to hear that her visa got approved (from China). We definitely need the help since both DH and I will be working full time. The problem is we live in a small 2 bedroom condo that we just bought less than a year ago before we knew we were expecting. DD wouldn't really have a nursery now since aunt will be staying in the other bedroom. We have the crib next to our bed so it's easier the first few months for me to breast feed at night. The dresser/changing table is in the 2nd bedroom. We also have the swing and exersaucer in that bedroom already. I haven't decorated the room yet and now don't know if I should. I really want to decorate the room(had the theme all picked out long time ago). Would it be not nice to decorate the room into nursery? I don't know if she would feel less welcomed if we do that. Aunt will be helping us for about 6mo. I guess I could just wait until she leaves. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!!

deborah_r
02-13-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm inclined to think you can go ahead and paint or wallpaper - the heavy labor parts of decorating - but you should try to move the baby's things, like the changing table/dresser, swing & exersaucer, into a common area like the dining room or living room. I know this may be totally impossible depending on your layout, but these are just my thoughts. I think your aunt should have a room that is hers while she is there, but paint or wallpaper that is baby-themed shouldn't be a bother to her. Better to get that part of the decorating done while you have the time now, rather than after you aunt leaves when baby is 6 months.

My thoughts are also based on the mention of nursing at night - you will need to change your baby during the night in the early months, and I doubt you would want to go into your aunt's room to change her. You might want to set up a changing area in a common area like I suggested, and also one in your bedroom or in the master bath, if you have one. Not a whole table in each case, maybe just a changing pad on a surface somewhere.

Also if your lacking in space, I would store the exersaucer away for awhile - you will jnot need it til about 4 months I would think.

I hope this all works out well for you - it can be difficult adapting to a family member moving in, and also a new baby at the same time. I think defining boundaries (space and otherwise) will be important.

caleymama
02-13-2004, 07:02 PM
I totally agree with everything Deborah has said. Best of luck to you!

CBB
02-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I didn't even think about moving the dressing table before, but you are definitely right. I wouldn't want to go wake aunt up in the middle of the night to use the table. The dresser is too large to fit in our bedroom. The only remaining space is the living room. I may have to keep the dresser in that bedroom and put the changing matress in our room. I hope that's not too much. The bedroom has already been painted light green color which we are not planning on changing. I guess I'll wait to decorate the room after aunt leaves.

Thanks,