PDA

View Full Version : OT - Trimming bangs?

Marisa6826
02-13-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm soooo not ready for Sophie to have a "real" hair cut, but I noticed the other day that some of her bangs have straggled onto the bridge of her nose.

I'm afraid to trim them now that she's so active. I really am not a barette type of person and I'm pretty sure she'd just yank it out anyway.

Any suggestions on how to do this without blinding my baby sheepdog???

-m

lizajane
02-13-2004, 07:24 PM
i cut schuyler's hair. i have done it three times already! it gets really long and stringy in the front, grows over his ears, and grows REALLY long on top! jeffrey and i work as a team. we use some head holding force and some distraction techniques.

i use scissors that do NOT have sharp, pointy ends. and i pull the hair away from him with my fingers so that i cut it up in the air, not right next to his head.

i also cut it so that the scissors are pointy towards the hair head on, and then i snip snip at a teeny bit of an angle. that way, i don't get that straight across blunt cut bowl head look. it just looks like natural hair.

good luck!

Marisa6826
02-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks Liza.

I was thinking I would use those little blunt scissors that came with the nail clippers.

Poor Sophie's bangs (well some of them anyway) are down past her eyes.

I will probably try it in her highchair.

-m

Sarah1
02-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Marisa,

I was just going to say, try it in the highchair. That's what we did with Audrey and it worked really well. She didn't seem bothered at all by what was going on....although I should have done a better job of trimming her bangs--they were really crooked there for a while and for a couple days I chased her around w/the scissors trying to level them out (really safe).

GOOD LUCK! :)

egoldber
02-13-2004, 10:55 PM
FYI, a lot of places will just do a bang trim for $3 - $5. Personally, that's worth it to me. But then again, I was traumatized by a childhood filled with many school pictures of me with crooked bangs courtesy of my mom, LOL! :)

em_jon98
02-14-2004, 12:05 AM
I did cut Lindsey's bangs myself the first time. It was a nightmare. I put a video on and wrapped her in a towel (so her arms were confined.) She literally started tossing her head back and forth anytime I came near her face with the scissors, and the tossing caused the towel wrap to come undone. I basically had to hold the towel around her with one arm, using that hand to stablize her face, and cut with the other hand. It was not pretty.

So, I would have to agree with Beth. I take Lindsey to KidSnips (one of those places with videos and cars instead of barber chairs) now for a $5 bang trim. The women there are so quick--they have Lindsey's bangs cut before she even knows what happened. Totally worth 5 bucks, IMHO.

papal
02-14-2004, 12:40 AM
I would say, do not do it while she is sleeping!!!
Yep, my poor baby has a really bad, uneven haircut because i did this. She wiggled too much for me to do it any other way and i could not wait another couple of months because her hair was half way down her back and in her eyes.