PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: rolling over

s_gosney
02-14-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm just curious about how babies roll over. Do they usually go from tummy to back first or vice versa? Also, do they try to roll over or does it just happen? Anytime Kylee is on her tummy, she just spends all of her time trying to crawl...her legs and arms going but her belly still firmly planted on the ground, then she gets mad that she can't go anywhere. I'm not concerned about this, just curious. So, what do you think? Did you notice your baby trying to roll over or is it just something that they do randomly one day?

mharling
02-14-2004, 07:08 PM
As with everything, there's a lot of variance from baby to baby. That being said, I think most babies go from back to tummy first.

In our case, Lane went from tummy to back first. And it was very random. I was very surprised when it happened, because I had no inklings of it whatsoever. One of these days she'll surprise you!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2303.jpg Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b346cc5b6556 - New pics 1/26

deborah_r
02-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Kai did tummy to back easily, mostly so he could get out of doing tummy time. I had to put pillows all around to keep him on his tummy for at least a few minutes! It took longer for the back to tummy rolling - he just didn't seem to see any reason to do it, until he started getting interested in toys and was trying to reach them. I'm thinking there isn't a 'normal' on this one, just whichever they feel like doing.

papal
02-15-2004, 01:28 AM
Leela went from her tummy to back (she still has not mastered the back-to-tummy). She used to swing to her side first.. then slowly got into a 'dog-pose' and one day built up enough momentum to roll over. She does the 'crawl' thing too... speed about 1ft/hour.. it takes her a full ten minutes to get from one end of the blanket to the other.. and she is crying/shouting throughout the journey.
Oh, it certainly helped that she was diaperless when she first started rolling over.. i guess that gave her more freedom of movement.

JLiebCamm
02-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Developmentally, tummy to back has always been considered the earlier milestone that a baby should reach (and physically it is an easier roll because the arms and legs are in a better position to assist with the roll). That being said, I think that SIDS and the recommendation for sleeping on the back instead of stomach has changed the likelihood that the baby will reach this milestone as early as they used to. So it's very possible that back to stomach might occur first.

todzwife
02-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Dallin went from Tummy to back about 3 weeks ago I think, and just today mastered back to tummy. Pretty good considering how much body he has to work with! :)

JElaineB
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Supposedly going from tummy to back is easier. But DS hated tummy time so he rolled from back to tummy first (around 4 months). Took him almost another month to go from tummy to back. He worked on it for a long time, just kicking his legs over at first then practically his whole body until it finally happened. So you will probably know when it is coming. Most "milestones" I have realized are was much more of a long process with "the event" occuring after a long period of practice.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

s_gosney
02-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, guess what? Kylee decided to roll from tummy to back yesterday! It was in super slow-mo. She got up on her side and then laid there looking at me like "What's going on?" I don't think she really knows that she can do it though because she'll still stay laying on her tummy most times. LOL...especially when I try to show someone her new baby trick...she's not going anywhere. :)
Rashmi-I see now what you mean by the dog position. :) Also, the image of Leela taking 10 minutes to cross the blanket is too funny. Kylee has gotten too smart for me now. If I put toys out of her reach to try to get her to reach for them, she just pulls on the blanket to make the toys come to her. LOL. I wonder what this says about her personality. :)

papal
02-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Way to go Kylee!!! Congratulations! Isn't it such a thrill to watch?! It was my first proud-mommy moment!
Oooh.. Kylee is a smart one to pull the toys towards her.. Leela just stares at them with a sad look as if to will them to come to her.. or sometimes she stares and talks to the mobile hoping it will start up on its own!

Here is to many many more special moments in the months to come for our October babies!

Sherri.. i replied to your my-boob-is-a-teething-ring post about the baby safe feeder. I would definitely give it a try.

lrucci
02-16-2004, 11:24 PM
We though Kyleigh would roll from stomach to back first because while on her tummy she would kick her legs and get up on her side, but she never went over. Then one day (around 4 months old) she was on her back and kicked her legs up and went over. She loves rolling from back to tummy!!! About a month and a half ago she rolled from her tummy to her back for my mom, but hasn't done it since, and doesn't seem to be interested in it. She is too preoccupied with chewing on her toes I guess.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

starrynight
02-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Eliza did back to tummy first and about a week or so later learned tummy to back. Now she rolls all over. For about a week before she did it she was trying to get up on her side to roll over but her arm would get in the way and she would roll on her back again. Finally she figured it out :).