PDA

View Full Version : What did I get myself into?

jd11365
02-15-2004, 05:20 PM
A friend called to tell me her nanny can't watch her 5 and 3 year olds on Thursday...if I would like to do it. For some strange reason I said yes...before I heard the hours...from 8-5! What the heck am I going to do with 5 and 3 year old children all day? At least with Kayla, we could go somewhere to break up the day...here, I don't think I can do that...or would want to with all the kids at one time. So, my short list includes taking a walk around the neighborhood and watching a movie. Well, that's about 3 hours down...what next? BTW, they apparently don't nap...great. She mentioned paying me $65 (what her nanny gets per day) but I may have actually said don't worry about it...I can't imagine her not paying me though. She's given me sooooo many things for Kayla so that's probably why I said not to worry about it and I wouldn't be too bothered because of that reason. She even called last week to offer the thing that attaches to the back of your bike to take the baby (or 2) with you. My real question is back to what to do all day... 9 hours seems like a long time to entertain... I can't believe I'm even asking...I'm a teacher for heaven's sake...but not one for preschool. ;) Any suggestions?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

brubeck
02-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Is there some local place you could go like a zoo, park or an indoor play area? That might tire them out and calm them down for a quieter afternoon.

Another thing is activities. Buy a cheap bucket of Playdoh and pull out some cookie cutters and a roller. Get a bunch of stickers and crayons and have them make pictures. Usually these things will keep my 3 year old busy for up to an hour each.

Another thought is to have them 'help' you make lunch. You could do English muffin mini-pizzas and have them make their own, and/or you could make cookies. If they are involved they will be entertained and them they are more likely to eat it afterwards.

And NEVER underestimate the power of new toys. Many kids (including mine) will be in heaven for a couple of hours in a roomful of toys they've never seen. Now I know Kayla doesn't have too many toys for older kids but perhaps you could scrounge a few up? I'm not sure what your resources are here.

Just some thoughts. HTH!

lizajane
02-15-2004, 07:41 PM
anything with glitter. cover your kitchen table and floor with newspapers and let 'em at it. when i watched my friends' 3 (or 4?) years old a while back, she was CRAZY about "projects." and she went nuts for the glitter glue i had. i let her use up the whole thing. she loved it.

a movie will break up the day well.

story time would be another good "sit down and be calm" break.

but you can probably get away with letting them play with each other for a while. bring out all the toys and let them go nuts. remember, when kayla is 3 or 5, you will still have to do laundry and unload the dishwasher. meaning, their mom doesn't play with them ever second of her day when she is home with them. so if you let them play together while you fold laundry, you aren't letting them down!

and meal time can take up a LOT of time, too.

good luck!!

momathome
02-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Get some glue sticks and kid-size scissors and a stack of old magazines and catalogs and let them make collages. My 6 year-old and 3 year-old love doing this! If the weather is nice, a big bucket of sidewalk chalk for them to use in the driveway and sidewalk ia also something my girls just love. Good luck and think brave thoughts!
-Lauren

jd11365
02-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Pladough, toys, glitter...check! Great...I can pick up a few things at the dollar store...will certainly make my life easier for sure. I'm watching them at THEIR house, so that's why I feel like I'll be totally playing all day because I'm not at my house with my dishwasher, my laundry, my computer... No zoo nearby, or anything for that matter so we are pretty much in the house in a quiet neighborhood away from town. I think I'm going to get into teacher mode and come up with some "projects" to do too like you suggested... Good grief...what the heck was I thinking?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

toomanystrollers
02-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Jamie,
Let us know how Thursday goes! :)

jd11365
02-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Well, it was a loooooooong day. The girls were relatively behaved though didn't really listen much either...they are 3 and 5 after all...and testing the waters of someone else watching them...nothing too surprising. They fought a bit and the little one wouldn't share her toys with Kayla at first...it took a lot of discussion...she finally gave in a bit. Poor Kayla didn't understand why this kid kept coming up from behind and snatching stuff away from her. It was also hard to keep Kayla contained as I was watching the other 2 and she wanted to follow the 3 year old around everywhere...it was actually kinda cute but VERY frustrating. I needed the others quiet and in one safe spot when I went to nurse and try to get Kayla down for a nap...which was impossible. And on top of it Kayla wouldn't nap because she was too excited, so we had some cranky times from my little one as well. We played with play dough, made shrinky dinks, played in the back yard, watched movies...and several episodes of Dora the Explorer. It was a definite learning experience and I bow to all of you who have more than one child! She did pay me, but I didn't want to take it because she gave me a ton of very expensive clothes...boutique dresses with matching hats...and a bicycle trailer that holds two children. She still insisted I take the money, so all in all I guess it was worth it. I was absolutely exhausted when it was all said and done...I got to rest all day today though!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

brigmaman
02-20-2004, 09:29 PM
It sounds very organized and under control when you write it down! I bet it was a crazy day! Glad things went well. I'm sure Kayla had a great time!

houseof3boys
02-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Yowza does it sound like a day!

Glad you got some goodies along with the cold hard cash since that made it seem a bit more worth it.

I could only imagine the moments of frustration that you experience. Hopefully you had a shot at the end of the day! :)

brubeck
02-20-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm glad things worked out for you and that you survived!

Honestly though God (or whatever higher power you believe in) knew what he was doing when he gave us 9 months to get used to the idea of a baby coming, 9-15 months to make the baby truly mobile and then another year before they start exerting independence. It does take that long to get used to each step! When you are thrown into a higher level stage it can be over-whelming and it sound like you handled it well Congratulations!

Melanie
02-21-2004, 04:30 AM
Maybe during Kayla's naptime you can break out the scissors, construction paper, glitter, glue, crayons, markers etc. for some free crafttime. Or cookingtime...if you like to cook and are brave. Sugar cookies would take a while and then have them decorate them. Or make mini pizzas.

Playdough?

Do you have a backyard? If so, what about jumprope, hula hoop, bouncy-ball activity.

It sounds like a long time, but they're not used to your home and your things so something that might seem ordinary to you might fascinate them (do you have a fish tank? You could read a children's fish book and then look at the tank).

Another walk...do you have a park w/in walking distance?

LOL b/c now I'm reading everyone else's responses and I see I'm not so innovative...sorry for the repetition!

OH GOODNESS...I'M SOOO LATE TO THIS THREAD. SORRY.

Melanie
02-21-2004, 04:33 AM
Well at least it's over...good birth control too isn't it? ;-)