PDA

View Full Version : Good for Liza, good for us

Rachels
02-15-2004, 10:35 PM
I just wanted to commend Liza for starting the gay marriage thread, and to say how glad I am to see this discussion being handled so well. I know it's easier because the bulk of us agree, but this is how things used to work here on hot-button issues. This kind of civility and clarity is very nice to see.

OT: another thought, while I'm at it-- why is it "gay marriage?" I don't refer to myself as having a "straight marriage." It's just a marriage.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

redhookmom
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Me too. I wondered if anyone felt as strongly as I did but was afraid of getting flamed so didn't ask.

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-15-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm a political junkie...and must say I have thought a million times how I was amazed politics had never been brought up here, with a war and all that is going on. I didn't know if that a good thing or not but did almost suggest a yahoo group for such a thing once since I am a junkie...

Anyway glad both political topics recently have been civil...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

momathome
02-15-2004, 11:04 PM
I agree wholheartedly. It has been difficult for me to discuss this issue with people outside of my immediate comfort zone because you never know the reaction you are going to get. Since my mother told me she was gay 5 years ago, I have told most of my close friends but it is generally not something I speak of often. It has become a bit of an issue lately with Liza because at 6 years-old, she is constantly asking how different family members are related to and just last week she asked me if Grandma and "Rose" are married. Given that with all of the legal issues and debates, I answered "Kinda, sort-of!" She then said that she thought girls could only marry boys and I gave a casual explanation that while that is mostly true, sometimes boys can marry boys and girls can marry girls. She recently brought home a picture she made at school that showed her and Kasey and Grandma and "Rose" out together at a movie they had seen with them a few weeks ago. Wonder what her teacher thought! If anyone has any insight as to how to handle this discussion with a 6 year-old, I would sure appreciate it! I am trying to just be honest with her but not to give her more information than she is looking for.
-Lauren

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-15-2004, 11:27 PM
it sounds like you are handling it beautifully!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

aliceinwonderland
02-15-2004, 11:30 PM
I am also so glad this got brought up...I was getting very discouraged with the vehement opposition to "gay" marriage. Here in MA that's all that's talked about! Good job San Franciso, though!!

sntm
02-16-2004, 09:29 AM
i know there are books out there for kids about gay moms and dads. could look to see if there is one about grandmoms or use one of the others and explain that she is your mommy.

sounds like you are doing an excellent job!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

caleymama
02-16-2004, 09:36 AM
I have not taken the opportunity to weigh in on the original thread, but I wanted to agree - it's very nice to see intelligent, articulate people discussing such a controversial issue. People are passionate about how they feel, and rightly so, yet everyone has remained levelheaded and it's a great conversation.

Lauren: I agree with everyone else so far - it sounds like you're on the right track. No advice from me, just a pat on the back!

barbarhow
02-17-2004, 02:52 PM
I was wondering if anyone had noted this by way of a post. I have not participated in the thread because I feel like my thoughts on the topic are all over the place. And also because I was so drained by the time I got through all of it my head was spinning.
I must say that I started reading it with a bit of a cringe, part of me expecting some outrage and heat given the topic. It was so wonderful to read through all of it and actually be influenced by many of the excellent points that were raised by people on both sides of the issue.

Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03