PDA

View Full Version : Codes/abbreviations

jamsmu
02-16-2004, 12:48 AM
I've been active on BB boards for a few weeks now and am starting to figure out what many of the codes mean (see below, hopefully, I'm right.) But there are some that are used often, like OT, that I can't figure out! Laugh as you wish, but could someone help by making an index of abbreviations?

TIA :+

My guesses: TIA= thanks in advance; HTH=hope this helps; ITA=I totally agree; LOL=laugh out loud

Momof3Labs
02-16-2004, 01:09 AM
OT = off topic
IMHO = in my humble opinion (sometimes the H/humble is omitted)

Your guesses are correct! And this isn't BBB specific language - it is pretty common across the internet.

parkersmama
02-16-2004, 02:06 AM
FWIW: For What It's Worth
BTW: By The Way

I'm guessing you already figured out DD, DS, DH, DW, etc? The D is for Dear (or Darling or other "d" words if you're not feeling too friendly! :) ) and Daughter, Son, Husband, Wife. SO is Significant Other.

If you go over to the stroller forum, diapering forum, and others, you'll see that there's even more "coded" language...all for the purpose of making it faster to type questions and replies and allow us to post *even more*! LOL!

If you search this forum for "abbreviations" or "acronyms" you should come up with several old posts with tons of info that would be helpful!

lmahn
02-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Julie,

Thanks for posting this message -- I've had the same question for months, but was too much of a wimp to ask. This is my first experience with any type of message board, so I felt pretty lost with most of the abbreviations, though I made some good guesses! Anyway, thanks for getting my questions answered too. (i'm such a wimp!)

~ Lisa

Mom to Rachel Loraine (due 3/29/04)

jd11365
02-16-2004, 11:40 AM
A few more...

FWIW- For what it's worth
KWIM-Know what I mean?
IYKWIM-If you know what I mean
OT-Off topic

HTH!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

jamsmu
02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
thanks everyone! Its much easier to read when you aren't stumbling over the letters.

:)

Dyonia
02-16-2004, 10:38 PM
This site helped me a LOT when I stared reading the Baby Board -- I have it bookmarked for reference.

http://pages.ivillage.com/psboards/acronyms/

However, a lot of the product-speific acronyms are harder to figure out -- especially on the stroller, diaper, and sling forums. Most of them took me awhile to to figure out. Fortunately I found that if I kept reading, it would usually come to me (at some point!)

C99
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
I've been on message boards for the past 6 years, but it still took me forever to figure out ETA = edited to add.

Momof3Labs
02-17-2004, 12:18 PM
NAK has had me guessing for a long time - "nursing a kid" or "nursing at keyboard"?? I'm still not sure but at least have the gist of it!

parkersmama
02-17-2004, 02:04 PM
And along those lines there is OHT-One Handed Typing which is often done while NAK! LOL!

sntm
02-17-2004, 02:15 PM
that's a great site! we should pin a link to that since the topic comes up a lot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

hellokitty1
02-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Ok, I have most of them figured out but here's one that is either very easy and I'm having a brain fart or I'm just dumb. I know AF represents a girl's best friend (not diamonds) but what does it actually stand for? "Atrocious Friend????

parkersmama
02-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Atrocious Friend...LOL!! That would be even better but it actually stands for "Aunt Flow"...not so lovely,huh?

bluej
02-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Oh Vivian I'm rolling here ! I LOVE your definition for AF, it's so much more appropriate than Aunt Flow! It's definitely my new definition!