PDA

View Full Version : And I call myself a woman

farsk
02-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Hello Everyone!

I just finished watching HBO's Iron Jawed Angels...excellent....and I am terribly disturbed that prior to this film, I had never heard of Alice Paul. I went to an excellent high school and an excellent public university (though I never took any women's studies classes). Why am I just hearing of this pivotal person?

It is my new mission to educate myself. I invite you to do the same!

redhookmom
02-16-2004, 02:03 AM
I'll bite. Who is Alice Paul?

Dyonia
02-16-2004, 04:45 AM
I was intrigued too.... check these out....

http://www.alicepaul.org/

http://womenshistory.about.com/library/bio/blbio_paul_alice.htm

I'd never heard of her, either! :-(

brigmaman
02-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Ooh...you didn't happen to tape it, did you? I don't have HBO, but I so wanted to see this!

MelissaTC
02-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Wasn't it great? I sat here last night with my head just swimming! I had so much trouble falling asleep because that movie really forced to me to think!

After the movie, I immediately ran over to my computer and looked up Alice Paul. It is amazing to me, the passion these women had for a cause, a right that so many of us now take for granted. It is hard to believe that less than 100 year ago, we were not able to vote!

Marisa6826
02-16-2004, 10:50 AM
This was an amazing movie.

I never heard of her either! I had to ask Jonathan if she was real.

I'm sure it will air again and again on HBO. Definitely try and catch it.

-m

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Slighlty off topic but the "hard to believe part...." makes me want to add...In MY life time a black person was to give up their seat to a white person...IN MY LIFETIME....a lot of this terrible stuff was not in the too far past...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

jojo2324
02-16-2004, 11:05 AM
I read an interview with Hilary Swank, and she felt the same way!! She was ashamed she had never heard of this woman! And then went on to play her in the movie. (I missed it, but HBO will rerun it a dozen times, I'm sure.)

I'd never heard of her before this movie, and I went to an all-girls' high school that did NOTHING but talk about women, women women.

Was it good?

mandye
02-17-2004, 06:36 PM
I just finished watching this...WOW! Like others I had never heard of her. This movie made me want to never miss a voting opportunity. These women suffered so much for something that I sometimes feel is a huge chore. I wish there was something I was so passionate about!

mandy

jennifer13
02-17-2004, 07:22 PM
I haven't seen it yet but I am so excited that the movie is made and out there and people are watching it. The only reason I know who Alice Paul was is because I grew up in Cincinnati where the was a women's center (I think a dv shelter, can't remember)that was called the Alice Paul House. Isn't it remarkable what women did so that we could have the freedoms we take so for granted today?

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

csa12
02-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have been in a fog lately and this sounds like something that can stimulate my senses again.

Thanks again,
Cheryl

DDowning
02-18-2004, 12:25 AM
I got a chance to watch this last night - Wow! What a great film!