PDA

View Full Version : OT - Diaper Genie users do you fold the diapers like they say to do?

Grace_underfire
02-16-2004, 04:16 PM
This is a very weird question I know :) but I am wondering if I should be folding the diapers with the tabs inside (like the genie instructions say) instead of using the tabs to close the diapers. My genie is smelling a bit when I open the lid and I am wondering if doing the tabs like they direct would help. Any other tips to prevent the smellies?

JElaineB
02-16-2004, 04:59 PM
I use the tabs to close the diapers. I think they say they want them inside so they don't slit the plastic, but that doesn't happen when I use them to close the diaper. I don't think either way would make a difference odor-wise. I don't get any smell when I am opening the Genie, just when emptying it. I spray it inside and out with Lysol every once and a while to help control odors inside.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

KMommie
02-16-2004, 05:01 PM
We've always used the tabs to close the diapers. Before we gave up on our Genie, this is what we found to help with the "smell factor". Every week, I would scrub out the Genie with a bleach solution and let it sit in the sun, outside. I also used to wipe some Febreeze in there. But then, DH tried to do it on his own, and he didn't hear "wipe", so he left it wet, and put in the plastic. You can imagine how smelly that got. Once the smell gets into the plastic, I think it's pretty hard to get out. We couldn't get the smell out, pitched the Genie, and now DH gets to empty out the trash every night. :)

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

Calmegja2
02-16-2004, 05:14 PM
We're supposed to fold them?

Okay, then, have to say, I skipped that part in the directions, apparently, and it's worked just fine for us.... ;-)

deborah_r
02-16-2004, 06:02 PM
I took the instructions to mean that if the tabs on the diapers were the sticky tape kind (instead of the velcro kind) that you should fold the tabs inside the diaper because if the tabs stuck to the plastic bag it could get all jammed up. Not sure, I could be wrong.

jubilee
02-17-2004, 12:59 AM
I also use the tabs to close the diaper bundle. And I've never had a problem with the plastic ripping, which I think is why they say to fold the diaper tabs instead. Have you used the green plastic liner for toddlers? I just started using it, and I'm not sure there is a difference in smell.