PDA

View Full Version : When did you start taking babies/toddlers to musical performances?

csa12
02-16-2004, 10:26 PM
DS is almost 13 months and loves watching Dragon Tales on PBS. I just saw they are coming to our town for a live musical performance. The ad mentioned that it will consist of two 45 minute "stories" with a break in between. DS is used to interactive music classes that are 45 minutes long, but is this too much going to a 90 minute musical?

When did you start taking your kids to live shows?

Thanks for the feedback,
Cheryl

MartiesMom2B
02-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Cheryl:

Where can you find info on this? Martie likes Dragon Tales too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

csa12
02-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey Sonia!

www.dragontaleslive.com

Looks like a great show!! They are coming to Chapel Hill.

toomanystrollers
02-16-2004, 11:46 PM
Cheryl,
We took Tess to "Blue's Clues Live" when she just turned 3. She did fairly well - had a slight meltdown over the $15 flashlight we wouldn't buy here. Be prepared for lots of "souvenirs" being sold throughout the performance.

When she turned 4, we took her to "Disney Princesses on Ice". We had a great time and no meltdowns :)

egoldber
02-16-2004, 11:49 PM
We took Sarah to Sesame Street Live in December (28 months) and that was her first live show. She did fine, but some kids might not be ready for it yet. I think its better to wait until they are well over two.

HTH,

Jeanmick
02-17-2004, 12:02 AM
DD's first show was the Wiggles and she was 18 months old. She was totally mesmerized by them. The show was about an hour and a half long with no breaks, I think. We took our DS to see the Playhouse Disney show at Disney's California Adventure when he was 10 months old and he really enjoyed himself (loved the colors and music). That show is only 20-25 minutes long, though.

I think it really depends on the type of show it is. Shows with a lot of music, dancing and color in it will probably keep your DS's child attention more than a show that relies more on verbalization. Don't know how the Dragontales shows are, but if your DS likes them on TV, maybe the live show will keep his attention too.

sntm
02-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Cheryl, I think also if you go in with the plan to leave when he starts to get overwhelmed, you would be okay. I could never do it with DH because he would gripe about getting "our money's worth" by staying for the whole thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03