PDA

View Full Version : My son has turned into a woodchuck!

deborah_r
02-17-2004, 12:57 AM
He's chewing on everything. He was chewing on the foamy corner cushions on one of our bookshelves (the ones to protect him from hurting himself), he's chewing on his bib, on books - really chewing, biting, ripping things up. Does this phase pass? Is he just experimenting with them?

It could come to an abrupt end the first time he tries to bite one of our cat's tails! Meowr, phhhht phhhht!!!

KMommie
02-17-2004, 01:04 AM
Yup, Kiki went through this as well--- and is still going pretty strong. Suffice it to say, I was sooo relieved that I was a neurotic mommy, and had a table topper protecting the edge of the table at a restaurant recently, since Kiki decided to lean over and chew on it! Eeeww! She's also managed to chew through several board books, and she's undone those knots at the end of the strings on several teething toys (DH continues to call these things chew toys, like Kiki's a pet!)

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

deborah_r
02-17-2004, 01:07 AM
Yes I forgot about restaurant tables - I've looked away and caught him either gnawing or sucking on the edge of the table (oh, glad I've got a shopping cart cover on the dirty highchair).

And about the chew toys, I still call the pediatrician "the vet" half the time (not to her face) - it's a hard habit to break!

houseof3boys
02-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Deborah, Ryan was gnawing on the legs of a metal side table the other day! Besides the usual, books, bibs, fingers, balls and toys we find him gnawing on anything in his sight that is metal (maybe it is the cold feel of it) too! I usually go grab him his frozen washcloth or his teether and try to replace it.

He has yet to try the dogs tail but I'll keep a watch out for that one!!!!

bluej
02-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Ryden is chewing on everything as well. Thankfully we don't have any pets or I assure you their tails would have already been chewed on by now! The most disgusting thing so far (well, there's been a couple) has been the strings on the kids' shoes (dirty, gross, gross). MOST babies outgrow this. My almost 4 year old nephew still puts everything in his mouth though.

Jen in Chicago
02-17-2004, 11:19 AM
We are going through the same thing. I have given up on trying to give him clean teething rings. Everything is a chew toy, and people seem to be a tasty! Saturday am in bed DH brought him in to wake me. He took a big chomp of my breast, and we gave up breastfeeding MONTHS ago b/c Jude had so many teeth at 6 mo (8!) I have a healing bit on my arm. He bit DH's chin during church on Sunday, now skin broken this time.

I hope this is a short phase. It has been going on since October.

McQ
02-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Declan's still in a chew phase with no end in sight. He loves to give me a nibble on my shoulder when I pick him up. But the one that really grosses us out is when he crawls over and bites our toe. I have huge feet issues. And I do not want to encourage a biter.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

bunnisa
02-17-2004, 11:47 AM
LOL it's comforting to hear that others are enduring this stage as well. Wilkes has a stack of board books that are never touched because he'd much rather chew them than anything. I have to read them at a distance! Other delectables: cords, socks, fuzzies off of the carpet, my hair...

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

Jen in Chicago
02-17-2004, 04:08 PM
We were at a dinner party and Jude attacked a friend's husband's big toe. It was embarrassing!

toomanystrollers
02-17-2004, 04:58 PM
I wonder if you can use the pet product "bitter apple" on kids?? LOL

mommyj_2
02-18-2004, 05:15 AM
"My son has turned into a woodchuck!"

LOL That cracked me up!