PDA

View Full Version : OT: Book loaning etiquette

deborah_r
02-17-2004, 01:04 AM
If you loaned a book to someone and it experienced some minor trauma while in that person's possession, would you expect that person to buy you a new copy?

Or do you loan it out knowing it might some to some harm?

(I spilled water on it about 10 minutes after the person gave it to me...) It's Child of Mine, so I'm thinking to just buy her a new one and keep the one she gave me since it is a good reference.

papal
02-17-2004, 01:09 AM
Yes. That is what i would expect. But then again, i am VERY attached to my books. Why don't you has her if she wants a new copy? Sometimes people did not read/want the book in the first place so a replacement would not be so useful.

KMommie
02-17-2004, 02:18 AM
I'm pretty practical, if I can still read it (it's not like your dog or Kai (:)) chewed it apart!) Then, it's fine with me if a book I loan out looks well-loved when I get it back. If I was loaning out a signed first edition, then shame on me for loaning out something that I would freak about getting a little water on it. JMHO of course, it'd be a nice gesture to get a new one.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

suribear
02-17-2004, 04:16 AM
That happened to me and I bought a new copy for them! In my case, it was a huge book about camping in california and it came apart in chunks :)
Since they are big time campers I knew they would need it.
Kris

MartiesMom2B
02-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Call them and tell them what happened and offer to buy a brand new book. Everyone makes mistakes. They might want to keep it despite the trauma.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

kristine_elen
02-17-2004, 10:41 AM
I'd probably buy a new copy for them, but keep the receipt in case when you offer it to them, they say they don't mind just keeping the old one. If you ask if they want you to buy a new copy, they might feel obligated to say, "No, that's OK" even if they want one. I guess it also depends on how close you are to the owner (whether it's a best friend or an aquaintence).

sntm
02-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Also depends on the relationship. If i lend a book to my sister, IF i get it back, i should not expect the dust cover to still be there and all the pages will be bent at the corner because she like to play with them when she reads.

I'd buy a new one and offer it to her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

egoldber
02-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Personally, I never loan out a book and expect to get it back in good shape, if at all. I have learned that the hard way. I now just don't loan a book unless I am OK with not getting it back.

BUT, if I damaged someone else's book, I would tell them, apologize and offer to replace it. If they say, oh please don't bother (and sound sincere), then I would take them at their word. If they seem a little miffed, then run and get a new one! LOL! :)

Jen in Chicago
02-17-2004, 11:14 AM
If you think the owner wants it for reference, replace it. If you are not sure, offer to replace it. If she gave it to you b/c she will never use it again, enjoy the copy!

Ficton books I buy I honestly don't care if I ever see them again. I read them once, and am happy if other's get to enjoy them too since I went to the expense of buying it.

Cookbooks are meant to have marks, spots, ... to be loved and to smell like food. Water does not have a scent, but it works. Some would be offended by my cookbooks I guess, but I use them! If I don't use them they have to be donated.

pritchettzoo
02-17-2004, 12:33 PM
I'd call her and tell her what happened and tell her you'll replace the book. If she says she wasn't even expecting it to be returned, then you don't have to. Otherwise, you know she wants you to replace the book. It might be easier for her not to have to be the "bad guy" by saying, "Yes, buy me a new book."

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

peanut4us
02-17-2004, 12:33 PM
It depends on the damage... A torn dust jacket, small tear, no biggie (why I don't give out my hard backs with the dust jacket on :)). Water damage, food damage, animal or child damage: you've got to get a new one! We won't even talk about toilet water damage :) Yeah, DH had to buy a new book for our local library! LOL!

emilyf
02-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Like others said, it depends on the friend. I know I wouldn't care-I mean it's just water not coffee or soda- When I lend books out I don't necessarily expect to get them back at all.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

amp
02-17-2004, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't *expect* them to buy a new one, but I guess I'd prefer it if they did. I hate to loan out books for this reason. I am extremely attached to my books and I don't want them to take a beating in someone else's care and come back to me battered and worn. It irks me too much!