PDA

View Full Version : My DD likes eating Desitin, looking for alternatives...

marit
02-17-2004, 11:15 PM
So far, the only way I could change her diaper is by giving her the Desitin tube to play with (no other toy ever worked). But for a while now she has been able to open it. So all her face gets smeared with it AND she eats it!!! with great pleasure (yuck).

I was thinking of maybe getting something else in a tube (preferably edible...). She is also very fascinated with toothpaste, but that's not very edible, is it?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

COElizabeth
02-17-2004, 11:19 PM
How about one of the toddler "training toothpastes" that doesn't have fluoride in it (so is safe to swallow). We have the Gerber one, but I think there are others as well. Or I guess you could do a tube of cake decorator icing if you are truly desperate! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

COElizabeth
02-17-2004, 11:19 PM
How about one of the toddler "training toothpastes" that doesn't have fluoride in it (so is safe to swallow). We have the Gerber one, but I think there are others as well. Or I guess you could do a tube of cake decorator icing if you are truly desperate! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

pritchettzoo
02-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Tomato paste comes in a tube. So does anchovy paste, which might cure her of eating gunk out of a tube! ;)

Does she have to open it or could you give her a tube with the lid superglued on?

In the meantime, at least she won't get sunburned all coated with zinc oxide! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

marit
02-17-2004, 11:58 PM
I didn't think about gluing it. What a great idea, thanks! If that doesn't keep her interested enough, maybe I'll go with the tomato past (yuck!)

Thanks,

brigmaman
02-18-2004, 12:13 AM
I thought ds was the only baby who likes to eat the A&D! He flips open the cap and tries to eat it! Very odd...

marit
02-18-2004, 12:16 AM
It's nice to hear we are not the only ones!

boys2enough
02-18-2004, 03:17 AM
Oh, no you are definitely not alone! When I saw the title for the thread I almost fell out of my chair. lol. Gabriel who is 15 months still loves to play all sorts of medication ointment used during diaper change. And yes, he ate Desitin too, the creamy one. lol. When I put his eczma medication on his face, he sticks his tongue out to taste them, every single time! Now he's gradauted to liking baby/toddler toothpaste: "Ooo, something that mommy is actually putting in my mouth and letting me eat???" :) Lin

McQ
02-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Declan loves to play with the Desitin tube too. Fortunately he has not figured out how to flip the lid.

The other tube he likes is my Laninosh boob grease tube. The kid goes crazy for purple. He hasn't learned the lid on that one either but it doesn't worry me as much as the Desitin.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

lizajane
02-18-2004, 09:43 AM
the lanolin tube!!! if you are not a breastfeeder and don't have any on hand, pick up some lansinoh just as a toy. it is absolutely safe for them to eat. and it is thick enough that it doesn't even really squirt out anyway. schuyler is very content with his lanolin!

momma_boo
02-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Marit,

You are not alone! It amazes me how she'll sit relatively still if I let her play with the A&D ointment tube. Sometimes she'll play with the lansinoh but definitely has a preference for the A&D. DH always has a cow when he sees her gnawing on it. Fortunately, she hasn't figured out how to open the top.

loewymartin
02-18-2004, 03:15 PM
I haven't read the replies yet, but as a toddler myself I ate an entire tube of Desitin. They had to pump my stomach (because after all that Desitin I wouldn't drink the green stuff to make me vomit!) So, to this day I can't stand even the smell of Desitin :-)

I use Balmex and Aquaphor, both in the tub version. As for things in a tube that she can play with, there are toddler toothpastes without flouride that you can get for her.

Good luck - I have to give Alia a book to read while I change her. It blocks her sight from what I'm doing and she has both hands occupied while I work on the "bottom end" :-)

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

[Correcting some spelling errors, I'm sure there are others I missed - sorry!]

marit
02-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Just give him time. He'll figure it out :)

marit
02-19-2004, 12:21 AM
That's an awesome suggestion, thanks! If it's good enough for a newborn, it good enough for Maya.

marit
02-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Spooky }(

I actually called poison control center once. The tube was somewhere on the floor and she found it when I didn't see. By the time I got to her, her face was full of it and she was very happy. They told me that if she didn't eat more than a spoon-full it is not a problem. If she did then she might get diarrhea, but nothing more serious than that.