PDA

View Full Version : Favorite movie scenes...

Calmegja2
02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Okay, so DH was joking that we sold make a montage of my favorite movie scenes, so I can just watch them on an endless loop, which begat the question....what would those scenes be?

So, everyone, if you had to pick, say 5 of your all time favorite movie scenes, what would they be?

Mine:

1. The montage to "Ain't No Sunshine" in Notting Hill, as he walks through the market, and the seasons change.

2. In Persuasion, when Frederick, shows Anne he's left her a note. The way he slides it under, then gestures to her, catching her eye....

3. In Bridget Jones' Diary....the catfight in the street between Mark and Daniel.

4. In Serendipity, when John Cusack reads his "obituary" while walking down the street.

5. In Love Actually, when Mark holds up the signs to his love that he'll never ever have, his best friend's wife.

Okay.......what would yours be?

KMommie
02-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Ooooh what fun...

How about:

1. John Cusack (what is it about him?) holding up the boom box "In Your Eyes" outside Ione Skye's house in Say Anything.

2. The end of Jerry Maguire, with Tom Cruise's heartfelt plea, and Rene Zellweger replying, "You had me, at hello."

3. (Showing my violent side)... the fight scene in the subway with the western showdown feel in The Matrix. I could watch that over and over.

4. When Harry Met Sally...the karaoke scene where Billy Crystal runs into his ex-wife while singing Surrey with a Fringe on Top with Meg Ryan...IN FRONT OF IRA! :)

5. Jimmy Stewart's passionate plea in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

There are so many!!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

brubeck
02-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Funny, my favourite Matrix scene is when they enter that building and go through the metal detector and then have a bullet fight so wild that it looks like it's raining (but it's actually falling plaster).

1) Scarlett and Rhett escaping the burning of Atlanta in Gone WIth the Wind.

2) You're the One that I Want from Grease.

3) Do Re Mi from the Sound of Music.

4) Spatula City from UHF.

5) Buzz battles Zurg on the elevator in Toy Story 2.

There are lots more but these are off the top of my head.

sbjf
02-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Oh God, I'm a movie buff, lets see what I can narrow it down to.

In no order:

1. In Hope Floats the scene outside on the front porch between Harry Connick Jr. and the little boy after the g'mother's funeral. Boy: "Doncha' wanna go in and say hey to everyone?" HCJ: "Doncha' know? I came to say hey to you."

2. At the end of "Life Is Beautiful", when the dad is being taken away to be killed by the Nazis in the concentration camp, his son sees him and so the dad walks in a goofy exaggerated soldier walk to act like he's still just playing a game.

3. Conversation between Rose (Olympia Dukakis) and Loretta (Cher) in Moonstruck Rose: Do you love him Loretta?
Loretta: Ma, I love him awful. Rose: Aw god, that's too bad.

4. Goodfellas - Joe Pesci "You think I'm funny? What's so funny about me?" What a character.

5. Pulp Fiction - the whole date scene between Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman) including the dance contest and the adrenaline shot scenes.

Oh, there are so many more, some funny ones that I just can't get to. I can't wait to see what others write!

sbjf
02-18-2004, 10:46 PM
OH YES to Gone With the Wind, any scene between Rhett and Scarlett. Some of my fave lines:

Rhett Butler ( Clark Gable ):
"I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands."

Scarlett O'Hara ( Vivien Leigh ):
"I can't think about this now. I'll go crazy if I do. I'll think about it tomorrow."

Rhett Butler ( Clark Gable ):
"No, I don't think I will kiss you. Although you need kissing badly. That's what wrong with you. You should be kissed and often by someone who knows how."

And I LOVE Grease and Sound of Music, so wonderful.

boys2enough
02-18-2004, 10:50 PM
This is fun! And I really should do fold my laundry. Nah, that is boring, this is better. lol. All-time favorite is hard to be sure of now, but off the top of my head at this moment, scenes that I would love to watch over and over again:

1. The montage scene in "Cinema Paradiso"

2. This is trite, but I love the scene in "When Harry Met Sally," you know, the scene in the diner ;-)

3. I love seeing the angels on top of the statue of St. Michel (?) in "Wings of Desire"

4. "The Shawshank Redemption" when Red received the postcard, and started explaining what Andy had done to escape the prison

5. In the Hong Kong action movie, "A Better Tomorrow," when Chow Yun-Fat pulled out the two guns he had hidden behind the plants, and started blasting his way out of the restaurant to avenge his good friend.

Gosh, I haven't seen a movie in a movie theatre for so long... I miss the big screen. Cheers, Lin

MelissaTC
02-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Good thread! Some of my favorite movie scenes...

1. The Matrix - when Neo is being loaded with all the martial arts skills and he jumps up and says "I know kung fu"...I love when Neo and Morpheus duke it out...

2. Old School - TOO MANY scenes! I LOVE this movie. One of my favorites is when Frank and Marisa are dancing at their reception and the wedding singer is doing a rendition of "Total Eclipse of the Heart"...too funny! And then there is the scene where Frank decides to go streaking, or when they have Blue wrestle the girls in KY jelly...I know it is a stupid movie but I swear it cracks me up!

3. Almost Famous - William finally makes it back stage and he & Penny Lane are discussing their "real" age...

4. The First Wives Club - I love it when the ladies break into Morty's apartment to look for his tax files and have to ride the window washer down...

5. Notting Hill - the dinner party...among other scenes...one of my ultimate favorites

6. When Harry Met Sally - when Harry and his pal are sitting at the Giants game and he tells him how his wife left him as they are doing the wave

7. Jerry Macguire - the scene where Rod passes out on the field and then gets up to dance...I love when he and Jerry hug outside of the locker room

8. Moulin Rouge - love scene outside of the elephant where they sing the montage of love hits...

I could go on and on...I LOVE movies!

csa12
02-18-2004, 11:22 PM
1). The opening scene in the first Matrix movie when Trinity kicks a**.

2). In Jerry Maguire after their first date, right before RZ enters the bedroom in disbelief she swings open the bathroom door to find TC standing in his t-shirt and jeans in one of the hottest poses I have ever seen.

3).In the first Austin Powers, when he gets stuck in a hallway trying to manuever a go-cart.

4). Haven't seen this one on a while but the fighting scene in the forest in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

5). All of the movie Best in Show.

sbjf
02-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Melissa, I totally forgot about Old School! I also adored that movie!! So freaking funny, from beginning to end, I loved it. I want to get it on dvd!

MelissaTC
02-18-2004, 11:40 PM
I forgot about Best in Show! Talk about laughing hysterically! I love it when they make the cd about the norwich terrier "bow wow..delish! bow wow, some dish!"...too funny!

JLiebCamm
02-18-2004, 11:48 PM
1. In Dirty Dancing, when Patrick Swayze grooves up the middle aisle at the end of the movie and says "Nobody puts Baby in the Corner."

2. In About a Boy, when Hugh Grant joins in on stage singing "Killing Me Softly" (not to mention when he joins in the Single Parents Alone Together group).

3. In When Harry Met Sally, the big speech that Billy Crystal gives Meg Ryan at the end of the movie to tell her that he's in love with her ("I love it that you're cold when it's 90 degrees outside...")

4. In Scent of a Woman, when Al Pacino does the tango in the restaurant.

5. And my sick, embarassing favorite: The whole sequence with Jame Gumb (not sure if that's the right spelling) in Silence of the Lambs where he's saying, "It rubs the lotion on the skin or else it gets the hose again." I just love imitating his creepy voice!

MelissaTC
02-19-2004, 12:01 AM
I TOTALLY forgot about Dirty Dancing - "I carried a watermelon"...lol. And of course, the infamous "Nobody puts baby in a corner!"...

And basically anything with Hugh Grant rocks...I even loved him on the Simpsons when Homer gave him the pig cufflinks...

flagger
02-19-2004, 12:13 AM
1. When the Tantive IV first came into view being pursued by the Star Destroyer at the beginning of Star Wars: A New Hope. I was mesmerised by the movie from beginnng to end.

2. When Brody is chumming the water in Jaws and says "Why don't you come down and chum some of this sh*t" just as the Shark is revealed for the first time. And of course when he backs into the wheelhouse and tells Quint "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

3. Seven words: "Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

4. Jack teaching Rose how to spit in Titanic.

5. "I love you too, Bud." from Urban Cowboy. Ms. Flagger is Cissy and I am Bud in our home.

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-19-2004, 12:25 AM
My brain is so fried and tired tonight that I can not think of 5...but hope to add...BUT the first thing that came to my mind is my favorite scene in the PIANO...it is at the end when Holly HUnter's charachter is walking by her love Bain with a hanky over here head and he is standing back and admiring her...as she passes he grabs her and pulls her back...that gave me goosebumps...
I've thought of Bain as a boys name all because of that...

Loved Dead Poets society when the boys stood up and Ethan Hawke said "Captain my Captain"

And Broadcast news...gosh this was long long ago but for some reason I laughed so hard I was crying the whole time...there is a part where a charachter is not picked to anchor the news...so they show him watching the news with the new anchor and he is playing with crawdad heads and boozing it up...and he sings something like "I can sing why I drink...I am singing...and drinking"...as he finger puppets these crawdad heads...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

deborah_r
02-19-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm not good with "favorites" but let me try...

1) Home for the Holidays - love almost every scene, but I think my favorite sequence is when Robert Downey Jr. shows up during the night, spies on dad sneaking pumpkin pie filling OUT of the pie, and uses his night vision goggles to sneak up on his sister and take Polaroids of her in bed!

2) Mickey Blue Eyes - after they accidentally kill the mobster cousin, then the neighbor is trying to bring them a cake and Hugh Grant says he's diabetic now, can't have the cake. Then when they are dragging the body out in a bag he tells the neighbor they are getting rid of all the food with sugar....love the talking stuffed gorilla in that scene "I have an opposable thumb"....

3) Clueless - when Cher tells the maid to speak to the gardener for her, because she does not speak Mexican and the maid says "I am not a Mexican" and storms off, and Cher has no idea why she is upset...

4) Bridget Jones Diary - when she quits and tells Daniel she would rather have a job wiping Saddam Hussein's a$$, in front of everyone. The blue soup scene kills me too "If you ask me there's not enough blue food..."

5) The Fugitive - the whole chase sequence near the dam and when Kimball says "I didn't kill my wife" and Gerard says "I don't care!"

This only begins to scratch the surface of my favorite movie scenes...

August Mom
02-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Fun topic! :)

1) The opening battle scene in Gladiator as Russell Crowe's character rides his horse through the troops as the music starts. There is something about the music in relation to the image that always gets me.

2) Also in Gladiator, the final fight scene in the Colliseum, where the evil ruler is finally slain and the General dies. I cry every time.

3) In Sound of Music, the My Favorite Things scene where all the kids come into Maria's room and wind up jumping on the bed.

3) In Toy Story, the surveillance performed by the toys during the birthday party.

4) In Monsters, Inc., the scene where characters ride the bedroom doors.

5) In Big, the scene where Tom Hanks and the little boy play the giant piano in FAO Schwarz.

SeanaRain
02-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Hmmmm....let's see...

In no particular order...

1. From Sense and Sensibility when Edward (Hugh Grant) tells the Dashwood family that he isn't married, his brother is. Elinor's (Emma Thompson) reaction gets me every time!

2. From Pride and Prejudice Mr. Darcy's (Colin Firth) impromptu swim

3. From Pride and Prejudice...well...just the whole movie!

4. From Sixteen Candles when Sam (Molly Ringwald) walks out of the church and sees Jake waiting for her.

That's about it off the top of my head. :D

lukkykatt
02-19-2004, 08:58 AM
1) "An Affair to Remember" - the last scene where Nicky (Cary Grant)realizes that Terry can't get up from the couch. WAH!

2) "Life is Beautiful" - when the father gets on the PA system with his son and lets him talk so that his mother knows he is still alive.

Also the last scene where he sees the tank and just about faints and then later sees his mother and shouts "We won!"

3) "Raising Arizona" - "Son, you know you got a panty on your head?"

4) "Pretty in Pink" - when they're dancing in the record store.

5) "Goodfellas" - The scene where they're telling the mother that a deer got its "foot" stuck in the grill of their car.

lukkykatt
02-19-2004, 09:01 AM
I love that guy's voice in Silence of the Lambs too! I always do the "Now it places the lotion into the baaasket." I never knew anyone else who liked him! DH thinks I'm crazy and just bears with me on that one...

sbjf
02-19-2004, 09:32 AM
"Yeah, you know...a hoof" Said with a mouthful of food, lol. Good one.

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
yes yes yes...Shawshank I agree that was done to perfection...and especially that scene...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

llcoddington
02-19-2004, 10:28 AM
1. The Princess Bride- when Buttercup tells Wesley that she died the day Farm Boy left.
2. Gladiator- when the General turns around and says that he is father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, etc. and will have his vengence.
3. Family Man- scene with Jack and his friend in the bowling alley and his friend says most men in town would give their left ___ to be with Kate, so why is he going to mess this up?
4. Gone With the Wind- Rhett crying in Melanie's arms. Oh, why couldn't Scarlett have been so nice???!!!
5. Return to Me- scene where Bob is crying at the front door after his wife dies and then Grace is getting a heart transplant from Bob's wife.

Most of my favorite scenes are sad! I LOVE to cry while watching movies!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

momathome
02-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Oh, boy, movie buff here, too!
In "The Philadelphia Story" when Katharine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart are drunk after the big party and he is carrying her and singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
In "The Wizard of Oz" when Glynda says to the witch "You have no power here - be gone, before someone drops a house on you!"
In "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" when Spencer Tracy gives that beautiful monologue at the end and you can see Kate Hepburn tearing up in the background (always makes me cry!)
In "Say Anything" when John Cusack says to the John Mahoney that what he wants to do with his life is to be with John's daughter - he's good at it!
In "Steel Magnolias" when Julia Roberts is in the salon before her wedding and she is telling everyone that her colors are blush and bashful and Sally Field says "Her colors are pink and pink" and Julia responds back strongly "My COLORS are BLUSH and BASHFUL - I have chosen 2 shades of pink - one is MUCH deeper than the other!"

lisaE
02-19-2004, 01:35 PM
This is a great topic!

- In "Terms of Endearment" when Shirley McLaine (sp?) and Jack Nicholson go out on their disasterous first date. When they get back home, she asks him why he constantly wants to shock her and be rude to her, and he says, "I don't know, Aurora, something about you just brings out the devil in me." This may be the best movie line ever.

- In "Jerry Maguire" when Dorothy is telling her sister how much she loves Jerry and he's out in the hall listening. When Laurel looks out at him, he's covering his mouth with one hand, then he slides the hand down his face to reveal a really cute smile. I could just watch that one hand movement over and over.

- In "Meet the Parents" the whole dinner scene, which ends with the urn falling to the floor and the cat using it as a litter box.

I'm sure I will think of more...

csa12
02-19-2004, 01:47 PM
I love Meet the Parents! I love the scene where Ben Stiller tries to rescue the father's cat and he ends up blowing up the wooden altar/arbor the ex-boyfriend carved!!!

mandye
02-19-2004, 02:06 PM
First off, let me say I am horrible at remembering individual scenes and movie quotes. That said...

1. In "While You Were Sleeping" the dinner scene where it seems like everyone is having their own conversations. (The mom 'These mashed potatoes are so creamy...Mary mashed them...) Also, there is a quick scene where the newspaper delivery boy throws the paper and flips off his bike. Makes me laugh every time.

2. In "I.Q." when Tim Robbins is taking the test and Einstien (Walter Mathau) and friends are "helping" him.

3. Pretty much all of "The Sound of Music". Except the part at the party after the kids sing "So Long, Farewell" and the adults all sing back to them. I hate that part of the movie. There is a part during the "Must Have had a Wicked Childhood" song where Maria and The Captain are going to kiss that he looks like an ape. It is kind of funny.

4. In "Miracle" (which I just saw) the USA vs. USSR hockey game.

5. I'll leave this one blank for now becasue I'm sure there is a great scene I can't remember right now...

mandy

hobey
02-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Fun topic!!

1. The Princess Bride - Wesley vs. Vezzini "Never argue with a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

2. American Beauty - "I rule!" ...discussion after the muscle car purchase

3. Runaway Bride - Bakery scene where Richard Gere makes fun of Julia Roberts using the cake toppers

4. Men With Brooms - The Burning Stone...if you haven't seen this movie, it's hilarious! One of Leslie Nielsen's best

5. Aragorn's speech before the battle of Pelennor Fields in ROTK.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

aguinn
02-19-2004, 10:37 PM
so fun!

1. Monty Python's Holy Grail:
"'Tis but a scratch!"
"It could grip it by the husk."
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed
animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your
mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

2. Fletch: "Don't talk to me like that a**-face - I don't work for you yet."

3. Super Troopers: "The Snozzberries taste like Snozzberries."
"License and registration... chicken f***er."
"Who wants a mustache ride?"
"Littering and...littering and....littering and... SMOKIN' THE REEFER!"

4. Good Will Hunting: "Well, I got her number. How do ya like them apples?"

;)amy
proud momma to aidan ~ 7/29/03

JLiebCamm
02-20-2004, 01:04 AM
I LOVE all of Pride and Prejudice too! Colin Firth is so darn sexy in it. And its the one movie that my mom, grandmother, and I can all watch together happily!

pritchettzoo
02-20-2004, 01:23 AM
"Calm down, Meow, just calm down."
"Did you say 'Meow'?"

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jojo2324
02-20-2004, 01:34 AM
I can't categorize or number these, but this is what is coming to the forefront:

In Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, when Steve Martin (as Ruprecht) asks for permission to go to the bathroom...then is silent for a few seconds, with a thoughtful look on his face...then says "Thank you." Oh, and I LOVE the eyepatch and cork on his fork.

I think it's Toy Story 2, but they've just encountered the bad guy. (Wow, my memory is beyond impressive!) And Mr Potato Head craps his pants, but it's really just his butt opening up and all of his extra facial features falling out.

Of course, the whole end scene of Dirty Dancing. Even though I still think Baby's head "bob" or whatever it is looks stilted.

In Trading Places, when Eddie Murphy can "walk again!!!" Oh, and when Dan Ackroyd hits bottom and is stumbling around as drunk Santa, he stuffs a whole salmon into his santa suit.

This is more a line than a scene, but in When Harry Met Sally. They're on the plane together, and he's telling her he's getting married, "To Harriet Hillson (?). She's a lawyer. She's keeping her name." I don't know why, but I think it's hilarious, the delivery, the line, his facial expression. It's perfect.

flagger
02-20-2004, 01:35 AM
I thought of a couple more:

6. When Ralphie's Dad comes through at the end after Ralphie has been up against the world and gets him that Red Ryder BB gun.

7. When Charlie hands Willy Wonka the Everlasting Gobstopper after being told he broke the rules and ends up getting to take over for Willy.

pritchettzoo
02-20-2004, 01:52 AM
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark: In the marketplace, just before Marien is kidnapped, when Indy shoots the swordsman. Classic. Harrison Ford was so hot before the earring fiasco. Sigh.

2. That Touch of Mink: When Doris Day gets Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and Roger Maris thrown out of the game. And pretty much every scene with Cary Grant.

3. Bull Durham: the speech. Coincidentally, the last time Kevin Costner could act his way out of a wet paper bag with a knife.

4. Office Space: bashing the printer with a bat. And the interview with the consultants.

5. Tied for favorite cheesiest movie moments...
Center Stage: the cheesy ballet at the end.
Shag: "Y'all, I've gone wild" and when Pudge wins the shag contest.

But this is so random! I could come up with a different list next week. I know I'm going to be thinking of movie scenes all freaking night.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

pritchettzoo
02-20-2004, 01:52 AM
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark: In the marketplace, just before Marien is kidnapped, when Indy shoots the swordsman. Classic. Harrison Ford was so hot before the earring fiasco. Sigh.

2. That Touch of Mink: When Doris Day gets Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and Roger Maris thrown out of the game. And pretty much every scene with Cary Grant.

3. Bull Durham: the speech. Coincidentally, the last time Kevin Costner could act his way out of a wet paper bag with a knife.

4. Office Space: bashing the printer with a bat. And the interview with the consultants.

5. Tied for favorite cheesiest movie moments...
Center Stage: the cheesy ballet at the end.
Shag: "Y'all, I've gone wild" and when Pudge wins the shag contest.

But this is so random! I could come up with a different list next week. I know I'm going to be thinking of movie scenes all freaking night.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

NancyJ_redo
02-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Best in Show is awesome! I love when the announcer guy talks about putting a little pipe in the dog's mouth, or when he asks in the middle of the dog show "how much do you think I can bench press...come on, if you had to guess".

NancyJ_redo
02-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Best in Show is awesome! I love when the announcer guy talks about putting a little pipe in the dog's mouth, or when he asks in the middle of the dog show "how much do you think I can bench press...come on, if you had to guess".

deborah_r
02-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Yes, yes, YES - Steel Magnolias - what scene WASN'T great?!? My fave is after Shelby dies and her mom is so upset and she says she just wants to hit something and Olympia Dukakis pushes Weeza (?) toward her and says "Hit her!!!" Laughter through tears, my favorite in a movie!

deborah_r
02-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Yes, yes, YES - Steel Magnolias - what scene WASN'T great?!? My fave is after Shelby dies and her mom is so upset and she says she just wants to hit something and Olympia Dukakis pushes Weeza (?) toward her and says "Hit her!!!" Laughter through tears, my favorite in a movie!

deborah_r
02-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Joanne - I don't know if I've even seen Toy Story 2, but your description of Mr. potato Head crapping extra facial features is killing me!!!!

deborah_r
02-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Joanne - I don't know if I've even seen Toy Story 2, but your description of Mr. potato Head crapping extra facial features is killing me!!!!

momathome
02-20-2004, 10:15 AM
I love that scene, too! You're right - the whole movie is terrific! I just picked the blush and bashful scene because I can imitate Julia perfectly in that scene and it always cracks my mother up!
-Lauren

flagger
02-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Another one.

I just belly laugh when Steve Martin gets in his car to go next door in LA Story.

brubeck
02-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Oh you have to see Toy Story 2! It's so good! IMHO it's better than the original. I can actually watch it OVER and OVER and OVER with Amy without going nuts. Can't say that about Baby Bear's new sister on Sesame Street! :)

jubilee
02-21-2004, 03:50 AM
In Top Gun, the scene when Kelly McGillis chases Tom Cruise on his motorcycle, yells at him, tells him she is falling for him, he looks baffled and kisses her. (I am such a sucker for Tom Cruise...) And the love scene with "Take My Breath Away" playing.

In Toy Story 2, when Mrs. Potato Head tells Mr. Potato Head that she is going to pack his "angry eyes" for his trip. (I always quote that to DH)

The end of Harry Met Sally

In City Slickers 2 when the friend gets "bit" by a snake on the butt and demands Billy Crystal suck the venom out

trumansmom
02-21-2004, 10:36 AM
What is it with guys and "The Christmas Story"? It was a good movie, but I've noticed men in particular always seem to identify with it.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

MelissaTC
02-21-2004, 11:49 AM
LOTR- Fellowship of the Rings, when Frodo is getting away from Boromir and the Orcs are coming. I love it when Aragon comes up to him and tells Frodo that he would have defended him to the death. Then he turns around and looks mighty hot as the orcs are coming up the hill and he starts swinging that sword. OOOOOHHHHHHH Daddy!

Dumb and Dumber - Harry and Lloyd are on the scooter and are going up the mountain. Harry has to go to the bathroom and Lloyd tells him to let it go...lol. Too funny!

Road Trip - too many to mention them all but I love it when they try to clear the broken bridge in the taurus. And E.L. tells Kyle "Bob Barker could clear this in a golf cart!". I also love it when they crash at the Black Fraternity and party. Kyle jumps up on the stage and starts to dance. I also love it when they go to the fertility clinic to donate sperm...

mommd
02-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Monty Python Holy Grail: "You can't yield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you"

A Few Good Men: "You can't handle the truth!"

Those are my top two favorites!

boys2enough
02-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I posted this question to Dh this morning and had a very nice and funny discussion with him. Then suddenly he bounded downstairs and headed for the computer. Guess what? He created a master list Excel spreadsheet for our favorite movie scenes! Engineer...

He reminded me of another one of my favorite scene that I didn't see mentioned here: The "revelation sequence" at the end of "The Usual Suspect," when the dectective kicked Kevin Spacey out of his office and lifted his coffee mug... It always gave me the goosebumps.

I am not sure whether I should be scared that DH cited 5 scenes from the Princess Bride as his choices and I was reminded again that he memorized almost every single line in the movie... lol.

We proceeded to discuss the "most horrible/unnecessary scenes." Our mutual pick is the intimate scene between Trinity and Neo interspersed with the "primal dance" in "Matrix Reloaded." Yack!

Have a great weekend everybody! Cheers, Lin

christic
02-21-2004, 03:24 PM
I have to second a few of the choices here!!!

Anna's: Office Space bashing the printer. (but only the uncensored version :) PC Load Letter!?)

Joanne's: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Steve Martin asking to go to the bathroom. (I wouldn't have remembered that one myself but I almost did a spit take with my coffee when I read it.)

And like Flagger I LOVE Christmas Story and will watch it non-stop over the holidays (and I'm a girl!). My favorite scene is visiting Santa Claus-- "Ho! Ho! Ho!" as he shoves him down the slide.

And a couple of my own:
The rolling crashing love scene between Jeff Goldblum and Emma Thompson in the Tall Guy. And also the scene where he's out with the woman not wearing panties and he says "Do you think that's wise?" and she says "Screw wisdom, who cares about wisdom!" and he replies "well, the Dalai Lama to name but one." or the Elephant! scene, ok that whole movie.

The scene in the dining room between Martin Short and Charles Grodin in Clifford where Clifford keeps touching him with his toy dinosaur Stefan. "Why can't you just look at me like a normal 10 year old boy!"

Kind of wondering if anyone else will have even seen these two??

Chris

kathsmom
02-21-2004, 03:55 PM
OK, I haven't seen any new movies in a long while, but I will try to remember some scenes from my favorite movies.

1. Steel Magnolias - the scene at the beauty shop where she says her colors are blush and bashful. Also, after Shelby dies, M'Lynn asks for a mirror and says "Shelby was right - my hair does look like a football helmet!"

2. Pretty Woman - when Richard Gere comes up to Julia Roberts with his credit card and says "Let's go shopping" and then the whole shopping excursion. Especially where she says "You work on commission, right? I was in here yesterday and you wouldn't help me. Big mistake! I have more shopping to do."

3. When Harry Met Sally - any time she is doing her picky "I want it on the side" ordering in the restaurants and the diner scene.

4. A Night at the Roxbury - the whole movie is just so funny. DH and I loved imitating the head movements!

5. Top Gun - the final fight scene.

6. Officer and a Gentleman - at the end when Richard Gere comes to the factory and gets Debra Winger.

7. The Big Chill - where they are all dancing around cleaning up after dinner.

8. St. Elmo's Fire - When Billy and Wendy finally "get together" ;)

9. The Breakfast Club - when they are all dancing around the library and at the end when Molly Ringwald gives Judd Nelson her diamond earring.

That's all I can think of now!

boys2enough
02-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Oh, yes yes, ITA! the Pretty Woman shopping scene!!!! That's like the ultimate revenge for any woman out there who's ever been snobbed by salespeople!!!! I also adore the hat boxes and Julia's polkadot dress.

JLiebCamm
02-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Ooh, I forgot about St Elmo's Fire! My favorite scene is Andrew McCarthy playing the bongos and singing "RESPECT" as well as the part where he tells Ally Sheedy that he's in love with her. The look on his face when she realizes his feelings melts my heart! Whatever happened to him?

gravymommy3
02-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Oh my, where to start??

Sixteen Candles, where the sister is looped on muscle relaxants and is walking down the aisle and comments on a guest's hat "Love the teapot!"

Monty Python/HG - "Bring out yer dead, bring out yer dead" scene where the guy has to agrue that "I'm not quite dead yet."

Also, "We demand a shrubbery!" "Tis only a flesh wound" (after losing both arms and legs) "I've ad worse"

Toy Store "What's with him?" "Laser envy"

Anything from Steel Magnolias Esp. " Thanks Ouiser, nothing like a piece of a$$"

Lots of stuff from Jackie Brown "that hit the spot"

the big shoot out scene in Heat

DH is the king of stupid movies so we are always watching crud like Jay and Silent Bob, A Christmas story, etc. Always good for great lines.

Need a life, don't I??