PDA

View Full Version : So I got a strange call last night -"do you want to work from home"

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-19-2004, 10:26 AM
I always thought I'd work when I had children, and have to say I am thrilled that I have been home with Tristan...when I joined Steve for lunch last week it made me miss corporate america enough to think if I don't homeschool that I might return to work in 5 years or so...his compnay is real big on hiring spouses so the thought of working there would help.

I also ate lunch with my old office last week, they downsized 40% when I lost my job (I was a newer sales person so an older one absorbed my accounts), but they have opeend a new division and try to tempt me every few months to come back...

BUT last night a neighbor called and wanted to know if I would be interested in working from home 15-20 hours a week for him...YIKES I said "yes"... I have a call into our accountant to make certain that I wouldn't be actually hurting our scenerio if I work...but it sounded perfect...

YIKES...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

rrosen
02-19-2004, 10:38 AM
What would you be doing for you neighbor? I have to say that having someone call me with a job that would allow me to work from home is a fantasy of mine. So, I am very jealous! I love it when good things fall in your lap.

Good luck! I hope it works out!

Rebecca
mom to Gabrielle (9/6/03)

toomanystrollers
02-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Wow, what an opportunity - do tell, do tell :)

cinrein
02-19-2004, 10:53 AM
I currently work from home about 12 hours a week and go into the office 1 day a week. My husband watches Anna when I go into work, so I really have a nice set-up.

I love my day a week in the office. It's just long enough that I get to have some adult conversations (and catch up on office gossip), yet not so long that I miss Anna terribly. Plus I know she's getting good bonding time with her Dad....PLUS I know he gets to see what a day with a baby is like!

I hate working from home. I do just 3 hours a day and now that Anna is older, it's very tough. I work while she's napping and I feel like I never have any "down" time. It's such a relief to get my 3 hours done each day---I feel like a weight is lifted off me until the next day. I refuse to work when Mark is home or on weekends---that's our family time and I'm not going to miss out my barricading myself in the study. I forsee it becoming even more difficult when the weather is warmer and we want to go to the pool or for long walks.

This is just my experience and my opinions. I think that working at home can be great for most women. I don't know what type of work you will be doing, but I recommend pretending to work 4 hours a day now before you actually commit to it. For me, it's just not as easy as it sounds.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

sweetbasil
02-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Wow, Neve, that'd be great...then you could participate in every possible co-op we can conceive of, and let us know how you like all the cool products ;) Let us know what you decide, and congratulations- it's no surprise he'd want you working for him. You're smart, quick-on-your-feet, accomplished, and fun!

momto2girls
02-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Neve-- It sounds great! My BIL is a dermatologist that just opened his own office. In my former life, I was an accountant. So, I agreed to start doing his bookkeeping/accounting from home. It really is the perfect scenario. I'm able to earn some extra money (most of which ends up at Gymboree) and I'm able to keep my skills sharp. Unfortunately, I end up doing all of my work after my girls (10 months and 3.5 years) go to bed because my 3.5 year old doesn't nap and I feel badly not spending some one-on-one time with her.

Michelle

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-19-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm not totally certain what all it involves...I think it is doing the "managing of accounts" and follow-ups for him. I know it involves keeping a data base up for him etc... But we didn't talk long he said he'd call me back that he just wanted to know if I'd be interested...

I told him if it didn't work out, or I was awful or didn't enjoy it I could find someone for him...This will be jsut "fluff" money...we didn't talk price but I assume it isn't much...but I look at it as funding the adoption :)...

My major fear I will confess is I am trying to get my husband to sell a sports car that we have that is gorgeous but never driven...and I am afraid he'll look at this as justification to keep that...and I know that I'm not working to keep some fancy car in my garage!!! :)....my derrierre has sat in it maybe 2 times in 18 months!!!!

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

stillplayswithbarbies
02-19-2004, 12:59 PM
"working from home" is not always all it's cracked up to be.

I started out working from home 4 days a week, and going into the office 1 day a week, and gradually shifted that to my current schedule of in the office 4 days a week and working from home 1 day a week.

Honestly, I don't get much done on that day at home during the day. I really feel like I need a babysitter if I want to get anything done. Caring for her is a full time job, and even if I do stuff while she naps that is only a short time at this age.

What I end up doing is getting most of my work done in the evening after my husband comes home so he can watch her. It makes for a really long day. The only reason I am still doing it is because it is easier to be able to breastfeed three days in a row and not have to pump another day. Once she is no longer taking breastmilk during the day, I will be in the office 5 days a week.

Just something to think about. I liked the earlier suggest of pretending to work for 4 hours a day now and see how you will fit it in.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Oh I worked from home before...when I did sales I had a hoem office, and one an hour away if needed, the flip side is I had a pretty lucrative career then...this will be minor...I don't think , atleast I hope, that it's not stressful...if it is I will quit it's just "fluff"...

Now working from home with a babe I so can't imagine, the gal across the street has her grandmother watch her child during the day so I might take T over there for a few hours a day...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

deborah_r
02-19-2004, 01:57 PM
I've been struggling trying to work from home too. It is VERY hgard to find the time and hard to get motivated when you'd rather hold your child or go for a walk. But then I am not very good at organizing my time, so not saying it won't work for everyone! I hope to build in 2 days a week at the office to help me get motivated and feel like the work is "real"...

slknight
02-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Neve, sounds like an interesting opportunity.

I am soooo glad to hear from others who work at home though. I've been working at home for the past 3+ years. I telecommute and my company is in New York. When Alex was born, I had so many well-meaning people say, "Oh, isn't that nice that you work from home. You won't have to put him in daycare." :( Ha! How do they think I get any work done?!

I am supposed to work 30 hours a week, and I have to regularly deal with clients and have twice weekly conference calls. I'm a software developer, and I can't code when I have constant interruptions. There is absolutely no way that I could get all of this done while watching Alex. I send him to daycare 3 days a week. The other two days (Mon and Wed), I'd estimate that I get about 2 to 3 hours of work done. I occasionally work in the evenings on the weekend, but I'd have to say that I'm not willing to do that on a regular basis. Even now, I'm thinking of switching him to 5 days a week at daycare and just sending him half days. Realistically, I'm working about 22 to 25 hours a week and my boss is ok with that.

Susan and Alex (04.18.03)

C99
02-19-2004, 10:14 PM
I got a similar call back in July, and started working part-time at home in September. I don't even work 15 hours/week, but when I do work, I like it. I actually don't usually work "from home," but try to get my work done in the evenings after Nate goes to bed. And I use that opportunity to get out of the house; I'll go to Starbucks or a local cafe and work for 2 hours and relax for 30 minutes or so. I love it. It really is just fluff money (b/c of the # of hours I put in; the rate is good), but I figure that it keeps me fresh in the event that I ever have to return to the workforce.

starrynight
02-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Good luck Neve!! Let us know how it works out :).

khakismom
02-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Neve, it sounds like a great opportunity! I hope it works out for you if it's something you want to do.

I used to work from home 3 days a week when I just had Kathleen and it was tough, but so great to spend that time with her AND get paid! :) Good luck!

lukkykatt
02-20-2004, 01:18 AM
I worked at home for the first year after my older son was born. In the beginning, it was no problem, as he was sleeping so much. But it got harder the older he got.

I had a babysitter come to the house once or twice a week, so I could get some work done during the day. Besides that, I did everything at night, which got a little old. Sometimes I would be up til 1am, and it really cut down on the amount of "free" time I had (and also time with DH).

I did it so I could keep my foot in the door at the company where I used to work. Of course, they ended up closing that office - D'oh!

I am not saying this to discourage you, but to let you know that you may definitely want to pursue having someone come to your house or taking Tristan across the street. Working from home can be great, but can become tricky if you are trying to do it with a little one around. Good luck! I hope that it works out and that you enjoy it!