PDA

View Full Version : Ear infections, tubes vs. chiropractic manipulation

pinkd56
02-19-2004, 01:25 PM
My little guy has had chronic ear infections since August. We are on round 8 for antibotics now (yes he was breastfeed for 7 months). Family history of respitory issues and environmental sensitives do not help the situation. It has been recommended by several Drs and including ENT that we consider tubes. My DH and I are "battling" over what course of action to take next.

Does anyone have first hand experience with Chiropractic Manipulation/Massage that they can share with me? I'm looking for both positive and negative feedback. I am pro tubes and my hubby wants to go the Chiropractic route.
Thanks for your help!

nitaghei
02-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Donna,

No experience with chiropratic manipulation - but DS had tubes put in in January - after battling ear infections for months. His recovery was a little rough - it took a few days for his ears to drain and heal. But he doing SOOOOO much better now. He is even more verbal than before - he probably got 5 new words within a couple of weeks. And he's sleeping so much better. We're down to a couple of night wakings (mostly related to teething) from anywhere for 8 or more each night. I was hesistant about the surgery - but it was very quick, and I am really glad that we did it now - before he had speech issues. Not to mention the fact that I actually get more that 45 minutes of sleep a night - which has certainly helped MY health.

I know - not the info you were looking for!! Hope your little guy feels better soon. (And yes, FWIW, DS is still BF'd at 13 months. BTW, our ENT said that BF'g for at least 6 months increases the probability of the tubes being successful.)

Edited to add:

We also recently survived our first cold post- tubes. DS recovered without getting an ear infection for the first time in months!!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

KMommie
02-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Kiki has gone to the chiropractor for the past 5 months or so. The treatments that DD goes through look pretty mild. I watch the whole thing, and sometimes hold DD, while the chiro works a certain area. DD enjoys the whole thing. :) I'm relieved that since we started the treatments, DD hasn't had to take any antibiotics. She did have one ear infection since, but it resolved itself without any need for antibiotics. Do you have any specific questions? Feel free to pm me.

HTH,

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

momtoemma
02-19-2004, 03:13 PM
We tried a technique called OTM (Osteopathic manipulation) with our DD last year. I think this is probably the same thing you are referring to as chiropractic manipulation. I have to say that my DH and I really wanted this to work for DD as the last thing we wanted to do was put her through surgery of any kind (even as minor as getting ear tubes). During the course of DD's treatments, we did manage to get fluid drained and cleared from one ear, but the other ear still had fluid in it, and she continued to get ear infections even into the summer season. We probably went for 3-4 months of these treatments before giving in and going to the ENT and deciding to have tubes put in. I was afraid that DD's hearing might be affected and didn't want that to continue. My DD hated the treatments and would cry nearly through the entire session, so that was pretty stressful for us as well. I hope I don't discourage you too much, but I just wanted to post that we tried the treatments and still ended up getting tubes. Since having them put in, DD has only had 2 ear infections and one was immediately following surgery. I'm happy to say we've been antibiotic-free this winter which is way more than I can say for last winter! Not that it would be a major factor, but insurance often may not pay for the OTM treatments. Ours wouldn't, so we paid for all the treatments out of our own pocket. Good luck with your decision!

ddmarsh
02-19-2004, 03:46 PM
My children have inherited some rather unfortunate ear/sinus trouble from DH's side of the family. My youngest son who is 5 will be having his 3rd set of tubes put in in a few weeks because he still isn't growing out of the problems. All told we will have gone through 7 sets of tubes, two tonsil removals and countless ear infections. From my experience the tubes work incredibly well when in - we have immediate success. The only problems that have arisen are when they come out (they are designed to stay in the canal for about a year I think).

An important thing to keep in mind is that the problem is not only the infections, per se, but the fluid that can build up in the canal and lead to hearing/speech troubles. Many times even after antiobiotic treatment the fluid remains. My son who is having them in again has such a problem with the one ear that with the fluid in there right now there is a 50% hearing loss.

I would really encourage you to have a consult with an ENT if you have not done so and see what they recommend.

Good luck -

Tondi G
02-19-2004, 04:47 PM
I would do both! I would have the tubes put in though because hearing is nothing to mess around with! Just because your child has tubes in their ears doesn't mean they can't still get ear infections though. I had awful ear infections as a child and lost some hearing due to them..... I still get EI's as an adult now too.... just something that I deal with! Find a good ENT and do the tubes it's not good for your child to be on round after round of antibiotics.... be sure you are supplimenting with bifidus/acidolpholis too! Good Luck ...HTH's you!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01.... who we thank god didn't inherit his mommies bad ears!

Melanie
02-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes! Please, NO TUBES! My husband has scarring on one ear from the tube insertion point as a young child. It has caused hearing loss, so what the heck was the point of the tubes to avoid it, I ask? Anyway, please try chiropractic care before resorting to tubes. Our chiro started treating a child who was about to get tubes - guess what? No tubes! No ear infections!

Please read this thread, I don't have time to retype, I'm sorry...but it will explain my side of the chiro story and the miracles it has done for my son's ears.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=37&topic_id=34118&mesg_id=34118&listing_type=search

MelissaTC
02-19-2004, 06:54 PM
My DH has suffered hearing loss from tube insertion as well...

Melanie
02-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Oh yes, and I should add that my son loves getting adjusted at the chiro...he was a little timid at first, which is why it is important to find one who is good with young children.

billysmommy
02-20-2004, 08:30 AM
I hope this will help you some. DH is a DC and while he doesn't work on infants and children his partner does. We have had Billy treated a few times, one after a fall from our bed and the others when he starts pulling at his ears. What it is for ear infections is that the manipulation stimulates the muscle that pulls on the eustachian tube. In infants and young children this tube is more horizontal which makes it easy to fill with fluid. When the muscle is stimulated it contracts and pulls the tube down slightly allowing it to drain easier. Billy has had 3 ear infecions so far (he's 9 1/2 months old), every time he has been treated with chiropractic care, one time he required antibiotics as well as he had some other issues going on as well. The one thing we have noticed is that he will stop pulling on his ears and is able to sleep usually about 1-2 hours after he is treated.
The post that Melanie posted goes into this further. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you have other questions

billysmommy
02-20-2004, 08:30 AM
I hope this will help you some. DH is a DC and while he doesn't work on infants and children his partner does. We have had Billy treated a few times, one after a fall from our bed and the others when he starts pulling at his ears. What it is for ear infections is that the manipulation stimulates the muscle that pulls on the eustachian tube. In infants and young children this tube is more horizontal which makes it easy to fill with fluid. When the muscle is stimulated it contracts and pulls the tube down slightly allowing it to drain easier. Billy has had 3 ear infecions so far (he's 9 1/2 months old), every time he has been treated with chiropractic care, one time he required antibiotics as well as he had some other issues going on as well. The one thing we have noticed is that he will stop pulling on his ears and is able to sleep usually about 1-2 hours after he is treated.
The post that Melanie posted goes into this further. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you have other questions

mamicka
02-20-2004, 01:11 PM
My DS hasn't ever had any ear infections but he has been receiving chiropractic adjustments 2-3 times a week for the past 2.5 months. He absolutely LOVES them & usually laughs & giggles during them. I have heard of a couple toddlers who avoided the tubes as a result of getting adjustments by this same chiropractor so I would give it a shot. I would also suggest looking for a chiropractor who doesn't follow the quick-fix mentality.

For the previous post about Osteopathic manipulation - I've heard that this is similar, but not the same as chiropractic manipulation... I wish I knew more.

BTW, I come from a family of medical doctors & don't typically (ok don't EVER, except here) take the holistic route but the research I've done about kids & chiropractic care (spinal subluxations linked to SIDS being the big one) as well as my own positive experience with chiropractic care really convinced me. If the drs think that its urgent that you get the tubes in, I don't envy your tough decision. If you think you have some time, give the chiropractor a chance.

I wish you the best of luck!