PDA

View Full Version : ear infection with vomiting?

josephmama
02-19-2004, 05:08 PM
DS had an ear infection diagnosed a couple weeks ago and the next day started vomiting excessively. While at the doctor he aspirated on it (we didn't know that's what was happening at the time and the dr called an ambulance, oxygen, tests run, etc..). It was scary and we asked the doctors repeatedly after all of this why he was vomiting in the first place and the answer I kept getting was because of his ear infection. Now, the same week a stomach flu also swept through our town, his day care, and DH even had it(although he also had an ear infection at the time).

So now I really doubt it was the ear infection- he probably caught a stomach bug at the same time, right? Has anyone's child vomited (with diarrhea) a LOT in a short amount of time due to an ear infection after being on the antibiotic over 24 hours (or are the doctors crazy)? None of the moms I know have even heard of this. I just want to be prepared for next time.

Thanks!

Melanie
02-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Was he laying down at the time? THat is how we found out Ds had his first ear infection, he would wake up vomiting. He didn't vomit when he was upright. Something to do with the fluid and where it drips to in their sleep causing the gag-reflex. It was a really bad/advanced infection...it did not happen after the first couple of days of treatment, even though the infection continued for months.

Rachels
02-19-2004, 06:11 PM
How scary for you! I'm so sorry. FWIW, whenever I get ear infections, they tend to come with a good deal of dizziness. I do get kind of a seasick feeling, so I can understand vomiting with an ear infection. Or it may have been the stomach bug. Either way, here's hoping he's ear-infection-free in the future!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

starrynight
02-19-2004, 07:14 PM
It may have been the stomach bug but vomiting with an ear infection does happen. Alex at 18 months old had a double ear infection and a very high fever(that went into the night of nights to never forget section of my brain!) Anyway he couldn't stop puking of course this was at 2 am :(. So next morning saw the ped, she said the puking was a combination of his body trying to lower the fever (motrin did not work!)and fluid in his ears upsetting his tummy. She said sometimes if the pain is bad enough it can make them puke also.

I'm sorry your son got sick! I hope he feels well soon.

Mom2Miri
02-20-2004, 01:08 AM
When my DD was 2 months old I took her to the ped convinced she had a stomach bug because she was vomiting (complete emptying) several times a day. Turns out it was an ear infection. The vomiting continued for a few days after she went on antibiotics. And yes, it was with diarrhea, so you aren't alone. My ped thought it was a fairly routine combination.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

josephmama
02-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks, ladies. At least now I know it's happened to actual people. So next time he has an ear infection I am going to keep him home for a couple days and watch him- definitely not sending him back to day care right away. I know he has a sensitive stomach (he had to go on the colicky $$$ formula nutramigen at 3 weeks old and he still won't tolerate anything else). Thanks, and here's hoping for no more ear infections, flu, colds...is it spring yet?