PDA

View Full Version : Babies in a convertible?

nyc mom
02-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Our car (acquired before the daughter we expect on 3/17 was even a gleam in our eyes) is a convertible and DH is nervous about driving her around with the top down. Given that she'll be facing backwards in the beginning, I don't expect it will be a problem. (I've ridden in the backseat and don't find it too windy, even on the highway.) Does anyone have experience with this? Alternatively, any suggestions on where we can buy little baby goggles? ;)

We plan to ask the pediatrician her views, but I'd love to hear yours.

Thanks.

cara1
02-20-2004, 11:49 AM
I would be skeptical about it. Can't you just leave the top up when the baby is in the car?

hobey
02-20-2004, 12:16 PM
I drove a convertible before having a baby but we traded it in for a more practical sedan before DS was born.

I'd be nervous about driving with the top down so I'd recommend driving with the top up if you keep the car.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

amp
02-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I don't know...We have a Firebird with t-tops and although we didn't put DS in it with the tops out last year when he was still a newborn, we kind of plan to later on this year. I guess I wanted to wait until he was closer to, or past 1 yr., before doing so, but we'll play it by ear when the warmer weather rolls around. Also, we have a Britax MA, so putting that rearfacing in the back is impossible. It doesn't have a front airbag, so he could be in the front, or we'll have to wait until maybe fall when we can feel safer putting him front facing in the back seat (he'd be more like 16-18 mths then).

cara1
02-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Also, don't forget about the sun in the face if you have no windows.

nyc mom
02-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the responses (but still eager for more). I guess my thought is that she'll let us know if she's happy or not, as long as the doc doesn't identify any potential physical harm that I am not anticipating. Naturally, we'll coat her with sunscreen, just like we do ourselves, and use the sunshade on her carseat.

Rachels
02-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't be comfortable with that, personally. Between sun, wind, noise, and safety, I just don't think it's all that baby-friendly. I think I'd be inclined to keep the top up or to trade in.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
02-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Well, I would not let a child of mine ride in a convertible, unless it had a hard top (not even a soft top would be OK with me). They are just not as safe as sedans or other vehicles, providing no protection in case of a rollover accident. But that's me. I'm not even that comfortable riding in one myself.

My 2 cents,

Momof3Labs
02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
I'd never do it - in addition to the concerns already listed, I would worry about small debris flying at baby, like a rock from a truck, a discarded cigarette or something. I don't even drive with Colin's window rolled down for exactly that reason.

Melanie
02-20-2004, 11:47 PM
I probably wouldn't with a young infant ever. It would seem scary. I've thought about it with Ds, but unless it had a roll bar, I wouldn't do it. Top up or top down. Even the newer ones (mustangs I think?) have roll-bars in the windshield frame but what about the people in the back seat?

Calmegja2
02-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Because of personal experience, I do not ride in convertibles, nor would I let a child of mine ride in a convertible.

But I'm way over the top on convertibles. No pun intended.