PDA

View Full Version : OT - Do you spiff yourself up for your husband/partner?

Marisa6826
02-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I had some extra time (what's that???) this morning after my shower, so I decided to actually put full makeup (including concealer) on. And a "nicer" outfit - not just yoga pants and a long sleeved tee with Danskos ;)

Normally, I just throw my hair in a pony, (edited to say IF I'm in a makeup mood) toss on some blush, lipstick, eyeliner (really it's powder using a brush) and some mascara and call it a day. ALWAYS have perfume on, though.

Then there are times where I don't even bother with makeup or putting in my contacts. I remember the days when I wouldn't even *consider* leaving the house without being all primped. Now I find myself *gasp* going grocery shopping barefaced and in VERY casual attire. Funny thing is, most of the other Mommies in Shoprite have the same distressed look on their faces, too!

I know that there are women out there that get all spiffed up before their husbands come home - fix their hair and makeup, brush their teeth, spritz some fresh perfume. Not me. Jonathan's lucky that Sophie and I aren't still in our jammies some days!

What about you?

-m

jojo2324
02-22-2004, 02:16 PM
LOL, first of all, your "normally" sounds like my spiffy up routine!! :) Second of all, I do it for ME a lot of the time. Just to make myself feel more than BLECH most days. And I think that by making me feel better about myself, it carries over to DH...So, indirectly, I do spiff myself up for him. But not lately though! I AM in my jammies most days! :)

suribear
02-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Are you kidding? :)
I only dress up (nicely) to go out for dinner and such! When I do spend more time, it's for me. For example, I love to match jewelry to my clothes. Poor dh - I never even thought of him LOL

Kris

MartiesMom2B
02-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I don't spiff myself up for DH. He'd be happy if ran around naked all day. OK, who's DH wouldn't be happy if that happened - but he doesn't care about makeup/hair as long as I smell nice. I do it for me. I have short hair so hair isn't a problem. It gets spiffy if I blow dry it. However on a semi-daily basis (4 out of 7 days) I put on powder foundation, blush, lipbalm, cream to powder eye color, and eyeliner. I usually wear jeans and a top. Is that dressing up?

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

muskiesusan
02-22-2004, 02:29 PM
No, I would hate to set up an expectation that I cannot meet or maintain!!!! Anyway, with the way things have been around here lately, I could be wearing a feed sack and my hubby would find that attractive.

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

jojo2324
02-22-2004, 02:44 PM
I usually wear jeans and a top. Is that dressing up?

LOL, YES in my house! :)

flagger
02-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Yes I have dinner prepared for her on covered trays every night while I wear my tuxedo.

Vajrastorm
02-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Spiffy is a day I've washed my hair and shaved my underarms. REALLY spiffy and I've shaved my legs too.

Then its back into the yoga pants.

I care more than my husband does, actually.

I *do* try and throw on basic makeup (powder or foundation, lipstick) before exploring the outside world, but that it isn't for my husband!

egoldber
02-22-2004, 04:00 PM
I used to be one of those "can't leave the house without make-up" kinda gals. But since having DD, my goal in life is to simplify, simplify! I have a haircut that doesn't require blowdrying and make-up is purely optional. In fact, there have been occasions when I actually WOULD have put on make-up, but I forgot because it is SO not part of my routine. I actually left my make-up bag once at a hotel and didn't miss it for about a week after we got home, LOL!!! :)

When I commented once to DH about never wearing make-up anymore, he said in a puzzled tone "You don't wear make-up any more?", so its obvious how much he's been affected. :)

The upside is I don't feel guilty about buying my Clinique anymore since it lasts forever!

MinnieMouse
02-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I am a WOHM and I think I've worn makeup 5x in the last 3+ years since we've been married. Dh actually prefers that I NOT wear it. Complains when I put it on the few times I did (weddings, going out one year for NYE and Formal nights on the cruise we just took). All I get is Why do you have to do that...you look great w/o it, etc.

To be honest I never was a make up kind of gal before I got married either...so it's just fine with me.

Christine

bluej
02-22-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't wear a lot of make-up to begin w/, but DH doesn't like any make-up. I think he must have a sick sense of what's attractive if he prefers me w/o make-up, but whatever. So clearly, I wear make-up and I do it for me, not him. He also prefers yoga pants and fitted tees. Which is fine by me when I'm in the house, but if I'm going out to run errands I prefer khakis and a clean shirt. As for hair, he hates the damn ponytail so I keep my hair just short enough that a ponytail isn't an option. So I'm a mix of for him/for me kind of gal.

newbelly2002
02-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Oh goodness, my "spiffy" routine is less than most of y'all's daily! We went out to the Opera last night and even that only included a little concealer, a touch of eyeshadow, mascara, perfume and lipstick.

Daily routine includes a brush through my hair (it's long), lipgloss, and perfume.

Luckily, DH hates make-up :)

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

boys2enough
02-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Smart dh for saying that! Did you give him a kiss on the cheek for knowing the right thing to say? ;-)

It's funny that this question is posted because lately I have been trying to put some make-up on in the morning (make-up meaning some powder on the nose, and lipstick), not really for dh, because he's out of the house by the time I have a chance to take a shower. lol. I discovered that I feel better about myself and feel more energetic when I at least have the lipstick on.

I also wear jeans and sweater every day because I don't own any sweats-- I hate exercise! ;-)

However, the other day DH saw that I only buttoned the first button on my jeans, he said, "Pull yourself together, man!" (I am lucky if I get to use the bathroom at all. Gabriel cries if I close the door, and if I don't close the door, he comes in and tries to touch the trash can, the toilet, etc etc. Argh!) Maybe I should run to the store and get some sweatpants: no buttons to deal with then, eh?

Cheers, Lin

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Funny you ask this with this timing...because I do not, and it is actually sad for my DH who honestly doesn't care if there is food on the table (I kid you not he comes home from work and cooks)...he doesn't put pressure on me to do much BUT I do know that he likes me to look not my best but "made up" some. I am in PJs or scrubs mostly when he comes home :)...if I go out I get in my clothes but the second I enter the home I am back in comfie things. When we go out he'll say "lipstick" he is the only guy I have ever met who loves me to wear a lipstick (even alight one he just likes lipstick on me)...

So I am trying lately to make an effort on this knowing that he cares. And honest to god my hubby wouldn't dare leave the house looking sloppy, he is clothes obsessed...I mean OBSESSED...and heaven forbid if I dress Tristan with socks or shoes that don't match the top etc... Steve actually pushes me aside to dress Tristan when we are going out...he wants to do it...:)

Steve is a perfectionist where I fly by the seat of my pants...
But anyway the timing of this comes while I am trying to change that...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

JenCA
02-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Not really, unless we're going out. I work full-time (in fact, DH and I work together), so he sees me dressed up with makeup/hair done Mon-Fri. On the weekends, I shower, but don't wash my hair (long layers--just pull it back in a pony), and put on minimal makeup. I usually just throw on yoga pants, a long-sleeve tee, a fleece hoodie, and I'm ready to go. Thankfully, DH thinks I look great whether or not I'm spiffed up (at least--this is what he tells me, lol!). But, if we are going out, I make a concerted effort to look nice for him, and he does the same for me.

MartiesMom2B
02-22-2004, 07:00 PM
What you are supposed to shave your underarms? I guess I'm not so spiffy ;) Just joking.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Marisa6826
02-22-2004, 07:58 PM
The funniest part of all of this is that after I got myself "spiffed up", I went into the kitchen and mentioned to Jonathan that he didn't even NOTICE.

He told me that I "always look nice and don't need makeup". However I know he prefers my hair down.

Since it's long (just past shoulder blades), I can't stand to have it in my face or on my neck. I can try and wear it down for him, but it will inevitably end up in a pony or a twist with a chopstick through it!

And as far as shaving goes, my legs could resemble the pigdogs' and he wouldn't be the wiser ;)

-m

starrynight
02-22-2004, 08:35 PM
I never wear makeup, I occassionally wore it a bit before I met dh but not often even then. He doesn't like makeup so I lucked out :D. I consider spiffed up as I got out of pj's, took a shower and actually shaved my legs LOL.