PDA

View Full Version : When/how did you child discover his/her lovey?

Jen in Chicago
02-23-2004, 10:51 AM
We are having sleep issues. We recent started to allow a toy and blanket in Jude's crib (friends lost a child to SIDS so this is a big step on our part.) We are trying to promote these in hopes they will allow him to find more peace in his crib (and maybe sleep past 4:45am!!!!!)

We picked the stuffed dog he gets excited about, and a "holey" knit blanket. We are willing to switch things to whatever works.

Jude does not suck his thumb or use a pacifier, so we want to find a way for some self comfort. Is 9 mos too late to establish this relationship? Too early?

Thanks for your help!

amp
02-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Just bumping this up because I was thinking of asking the same thing. At what age did your child attach to a lovey?

lizajane
02-23-2004, 04:39 PM
i think we started putting schuyler to bed/nap with his lovey around 4 months. but we took it away when he fell asleep. we started letting him sleep with it all night around 9 months, and he became more attached to it. he only wants it when tired and getting into his crib. he doesn't want to play with it or love on it outside of the rocking chair or his room. to introduce it, we gave it to him as we put him in his crib and also when we were going to rock or nurse. to give him the idea that it was something for quiet time.

i would recommend giving him the lovey of choice whenever extra love is "required." nighttime, naptime, sick or teething times, storytime, etc. he may associate it with comfort if you always give it to him when you comfort him. just an idea.