PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid Legal - anyone know anything good or bad about?

deborah_r
02-23-2004, 01:55 PM
A mommy friend works for them and called yesterday to see if I would be interested in learning more about it. Is this all on the "up and up"?

If you know anything negative, but don't want to say it on a public board, please email me the info - thanks!

pritchettzoo
02-23-2004, 03:27 PM
More information re: working for them or subscribing to the service?

In regards to the service itself, it's sort of like an HMO for lawyers. You pay say $50 per month and if you need a divorce or a will or whatever, you'll be assigned a lawyer to do what you need. As long as you don't anticipate whacking someone, I don't see that it would be a good use of money.

I'm also PMing you...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

deborah_r
02-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Oh, I didn't explain. Working for them.

When I first had Kai, I met her and I was talking about not being sure about going back to work or not. And she said she works for them and how great it's been for her. So now I guess she's trying to recruit some people (I'm sure she gets a cut for it). I have a job, but they market this as though you hardly have to do anything, and you can still make gobs of money, but I'm always suspicious of that. I guess I would be trying to sign people up for the service and would get paid for referrals. I'm not much of a "sales" person, and I told her that, but she still thought it might be a good fit for me.

She wants me to go to a meeting tonight to learn more about it, and i'm just not sure. I hardly ever go anywhere without the baby, I would like it to be something FUN if I'm going to do that, and I don't want to waste my time if it is not something I would be interested in. And DH is cranky and tired and I'm sure does not want to be left with the baby tonight...

Marisa6826
02-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Jonathan's firm has it. I think we pay $7/mo. pretax for it. We figured we will need the services to update our wills with the next baby.

Considering that we paid $1500 the first time around, $7 was a drop in the bucket!!!

-m

Dcclerk
02-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Deborah,

Just so you know, what you are probably getting is the MLM spiel. (There are some prepaid legal services that are not MLMs, probably like the one at Marissa's DH's work or that you can get through your credit card company, etc.) I'm not saying that it is bad, just wanted you to be aware. MLM stands for multi-level-marketing and refers to those companies that offer both products and an opportunity to "do the business". You get part of your money from signing others up to also sell the product by getting a percentage of what they sell. (Think Avon, Tupperware, Mary Kay, etc.) Some people find that the emphasis on recruiting other sellers is too much; others really like that you can get money for something other than just your own retail sales. Just wanted to make sure that you had a full picture when you make your decision...