PDA

View Full Version : OT- Digital vs. Digital SLR cameras?

cdlamis
02-23-2004, 04:50 PM
I want to get a good digital camera to replace my SLR camera. I never really used the SLR to its fullest capacities so I don't really know the ins and outs of a SLR camera.

What is the difference between pictures taken with a good digital (4MP or higher) and a digital SLR? I don't plan on taking any far away shots or scenery- just neat looking pictures of Julia and family. I do want a camera with some features to let me play around with lighting, etc.

Any suggestions? Any info I find on the web is too confusing for me.
Thanks!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35d0802848f *December pictures

mamahill
02-23-2004, 06:46 PM
The good thing about a digital SLR is that you can use the lenses from your regular SLR with the digital back. I believe these digital back are more expensive, though, so for what you're talking about, I would think that a regular digital camera would be just fine. DH has used a flash and hooked the camera up to his light kit, using our regular digital camera. If you aren't using your SLR to the fullest, then I'd save the money and go with the regular. But then, DH is the photo whiz in our house. I know how to point and shoot. And turn on the flash. And download pics. That's about it;).

cuca_
02-23-2004, 08:45 PM
I am not a big photography person, but DH is. He has both a good digital, an Olympus Camedia, and a digital SLR Fuji Finepix S2 and I have to say that the quality of the digital SLR's pictures is by far better. Like Sara, I only know how to point, shoot, turn on the flash, and not much else, however DH has taken beautiful pictures of our DD by playing with the lighting, etc... That said, we also love the Olympus digital camera. It takes great pictures and is easy to carry around with us. The only thing we don't like about it is the fact that there is some delay between pictures, but the camera is a few years old, so that might have changed in recent models. Again, I am sorry I can not talk in more technical terms, but in sum, the quality of the digital SLR pictures surpasses that of the regular digital photos. Hope someone who is a little more knowledgeable in this subject can give you more info.

Carmen

memedee
02-23-2004, 08:57 PM
There is still a delay in the digital cameras and the only advantage the megapixels gives you is the ability to enlarge.A 4 mega will give you a decent 8 by 10 enlargement.It actually doesnt change the quality very much.
The main advantage to a digital is the instant gratification of being able to print or email it immediately and also to eliminate the shots you dont like.
The slr has much more flexibility and the pictures are much better.
As far as lighting and drama etc ,the slr is the camera to use for portraits and special photos,
The slr is good for everyday and for convenience.

cdlamis
02-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Carmen and Dori-
You both say that the SLR takes better pictures- is that because of all the features it has or is the quality itself better (resolution, etc). What I am trying to say is if you set both cameras to the same settings, will the SLR picture come out better?

Thanks!

I am trying to figure out if the SLR if worth the money. I saw an on-line photo album of pictures taken by the Cannnon SLR camera and have been obsessed since! They were the most beautiful (non-professional) pictures I have seen. And I think that if I get the Cannon SLR, I will take the same pictures! :) HA!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35d0802848f *December pictures

egoldber
02-23-2004, 09:45 PM
>You both say that the SLR takes better pictures- is that
>because of all the features it has or is the quality itself
>better (resolution, etc). What I am trying to say is if you
>set both cameras to the same settings, will the SLR picture
>come out better?

Well its a bit of both. The digital SLRs usually have MUCH higher quality CCDs (the part of the camera that captures the image) than a non-SLR digital camera. But the digital SLR also has tons of features that you allow you to better control image quality.

If all you want is a point and shoot to complement your current film SLR, then I wouldn't spend the money on a digital SLR. If you want a camera to replace a film SLR, then I would buy a digital SLR.

Also, if you don't have a mildly large collection of high quality lenses for your film SLR, then search around at different SLRs than the Canon (although the Canons are nice of course). But the main reason to go with any particulat brand of digital SLR is so that you can continue to use your large investment in lenses and flash equipment.

To keep costs down, consider used digital SLRs. There are new models every year and that's a great way to get a very nice camera for much less than full retail (or even discount retail).

HTH,

cuca_
02-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Daniella -

Sorry, can't really answer your quality vs. features question, as I said I don't know much about it. DH is not here right now so I can't ask him, but I Beth answered your question. As Beth said, if you already have the lenses and flash equipment you should buy and SLR that is compatible. That much I know. DH bought the Fuji because he can use his film SLR (a Nikon) lenses with it. HTH

Carmen

Mom2Miri
02-23-2004, 10:06 PM
We got a Digital SLR for Xmas (Canon Rebel) and we also have a 4MP Olympus. We loved the tiny digital and used it a lot while Mirielle was in the newborn stage. But as she became mobile we found the shutter delay extremely frustrating. We love the Digital Rebel and have taken so many wonderful photos with it over the past few months. It was well worth the $$. (also the package with the starter lens is a very good value)

HTH,
Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

celfsh
02-23-2004, 10:25 PM
FWIW, one of the major selling point of the Nikon D100 (digital SLR) we got for Christmas was the start-up speed. Unlike most of the cheaper point-and-shoot digital cameras, it starts up basically instantaneously--VERY important when you're trying to photograph a toddler!!! I am by no means an expert (still learning to use the camera's seemingly endless features) so I can't really help you there, but I will say it is loads of fun and turning into a pretty cool hobby.

HTH a little... :)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

esianoyam3
02-24-2004, 07:31 PM
It really depends on where you want to go with your photography, and how much you want to spend.

If you really enjoy taking pictures and want a camera that will "grow" with you, I would definitely suggest getting a DSLR.

However, you really can take good pictures with a point and shoot digital camera (the higher the MP, the bigger enlargements you can make). While a camera is definitely a helpful tool in taking pictures, a lot of it also has to do with the photographer...

Most DSLRs can be used by beginners. They have auto modes and auto focus lenses, so you really can start out by mostly just "pointing and shooting." And as you learn, you can start taking advantage of the manual settings, which will allow you to play with lighting, etc. The newer DSLRs also have much less shutter lag.

Personally, if I had a choice, and money wasn't an issue, I would definitely go with a DSLR.

You can find fantastic reviews of DSLRs as well as Digital Point-and-Shoots on dpreview.com.

HTH!