PDA

View Full Version : what do they do while leading up to walking?

etwahl
02-23-2004, 09:58 PM
lauren JUST crawled at exactly 11 months. now she is starting to pull up on our legs and stand a little, then falls back down. i'm just curious if we can predict when she'll be walking? and of course now we're just starting to baby proof. that's a whole 'nother beast ;)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

C99
02-23-2004, 10:04 PM
I don't know if you can predict walking. Nathaniel started crawling at 8-months, could pull or push himself up to standing at 10-months, could stand alone for a few seconds at 11-months and took his first steps just shy of his 1-year birthday. But he didn't really, consciously walk until this week, which is pretty much 13-months. I did notice that Nathaniel got a lot more interested in walking the more time he spent with older toddlers and kids. He also became a very rapid crawler before he started pulling up on things and trying to stand, and in retrospect, the babies in our Wiggleworms class who walked first were the ones who were super-fast crawlers.

lisams
02-23-2004, 10:17 PM
DD followed these stages:

pulling up while holding onto something
cruising while holding on to furniture
letting go for a few seconds
taking a couple of steps from one object to another w/o holding on
walking
running

I know some babies skip some of these stages though. It was about 2 months from when she pulled up to when she started walking, but she is a very cautious baby so I'm sure other babies were faster!

HTH!
Lisa

Momof3Labs
02-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Colin was army-crawling at 5.5 months, full-blown crawling at 6.5 months, pulling up at 6.5 months (yep, the same week as crawling) and cruising shortly thereafter. I honestly don't remember when he first started to stand unassisted, but that was the next step. He took his first unassisted steps at 9 months and toyed around with that for a few weeks, then did NOTHING for another few weeks. Finally, at 10.5 months he started walking, but he was incredibly steady from that point on, easily crossing rooms and falling very little. So for us, it was 4 months from full-blown crawling to full-blown walking. But I've heard of many babies who go through that cycle much faster than Colin did.

JLiebCamm
02-23-2004, 10:53 PM
My DS was pulling to stand and cruising around 8 or 9 months, so we thought walking was right around the corner. But now, at 14 months, he's just starting to truly use it as a means of locomotion. Until now I think he saw crawling as a safer, faster way to get around. Every child seems to have their own pace.

jubilee
02-23-2004, 11:23 PM
I just wanted to say good for her for learning to crawl!! What an adventure!