PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with hx of miscarriage and progesterone use

SASM
02-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Today I spoke with my OB's NP and she wants me to start taking progesterone (after 2 first trimester m/c's). She made it sound amazing ~ a wonder "drug". She told me of women who had 3 and 4 m/c's with unknown causes who started taking progesterone and became pg after years of m/c's. My question for you is: How did it work for you...honestly? I am trying to be reasonable here and think that it is NOT a miracle drug. If I am meant to be pg, it will happen. I am just in this horrible place right now and I am afraid that when I DO start taking it my thought process will change and I WILL start to expect a pregnancy the first time around. This is what happened with Robitussin. The first time that I tried it we conceived and then I m/c'd. I thought, "Okay...When I start back up again it will happen immediately again :)" No such luck...Doesn't happen that way, Shar.

So...I need some reality here to look back upon when I start to think unrealistically.

Thanks in advance (I hope.) and sorry about going on and on and on...

rrosen
02-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Sharyn-

I don't have the answers you need but, I just wanted to send a hug! I am going through pretty much the same thing (just had 2nd m/c). I know the "horrible place" you are in right now and wanted you to feel a little less alone. I do so hope you find an answer and the progesterone works well for you. Feel free to pm me if you want.

I hope others are able to offer you their experiences with Progesterone.

Good luck,
Rebecca

Imperia
02-23-2004, 11:59 PM
There have been some recent studies about the use of Progesterone for women with recurrent M/C and/or infertlity issues. Supposedly, it really does work. I took progesterone supps after I conceived my daughter to help (I do not have a hx of M/C but I do have luteal phase defect so they were worried my progesterone would be too low) and it worked like a charm. I also have a friend who had a hx of M/C and she used progesterone cream (the doctors wouldn't give her supps) and after many M/Cs she carried to term this time! Obviously tehse are anecedotal evidence, but supposely even the studies appear promising. It does seem to matter how you are taking the Progesterone though, oil shots are the best, suppositories work pretty well, cream also and oral dosing probably the least powerful method.

I wouldn't call it a miracle drug because it's not really a drug, it's a hormone supplement, but for some people it probably is a miracle! Progesterone dropping in and of itself can cause a M/C, and sometimes this happens in a healthy pregnancy. The only tricky thing is that taking progesterone in a pregnancy which should naturally M/C (due to genetic defects etc) can cause you to retain that pregnancy until it is stopped and the levels are allowed to drop naturally.

HTH

Imperia

peanut4us
02-24-2004, 12:03 AM
I honestly believe that had I not had the progesterone, Sara would not be here today. Really, truly, it was that important.

I do know though... if you need a "it might not work" scenario to hold onto just to keep you "safe" emotionally in case it doesn't work for you, here it is... if you don't start on it early enough, then you can miscarry. I started on it at 7 weeks and stayed on it until 15 weeks. I think you can usually stop around 12 or 13 weeks, but my oB wanted to be on the safe side since I had some serious emotional stress that went on during that time (my step father was killed in an accident).

Oh CRAP! I just reread your post and realized you want to start it before you got PG... my OB has talked about doing that now that we know I have progesterone issues... from my pregnancy with Sara. Sorry about that. But it does help once you get pregnant. Sorry this probably wasn't very helpful. Good luck.

Rachels
02-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Sharyn, I didn't know you were going through this. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your losses. How devastating. I hope this is something that helps you get the baby you're longing for! My thoughts are with you.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nathansmom
02-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Sharyn-
I have done the progesterone shots before we tried IVF and for the first trimester after IVF. Feel free to email me and we can talk more about this. I'm just not in the mood to share all the details online.

COElizabeth
02-24-2004, 12:30 AM
I don't know all the details, but I believe that my cousin took progesterone to help sustain a pregnancy after she had several miscarriages, and she now has a healthy son just 5 days younger than my DS. She has been having difficulty having a second child, though, so it hasn't solved all her problems, but it definitely seemed to help her have a full-term pregnancy. I hope that it works for you!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

MelissaTC
02-24-2004, 12:33 AM
I miscarried on my first cycle of fsh injections. We used progesterone suppositories the second time and voila! Matthew is here!
I personally know someone who had a number of miscarriages and even had exploratory surgery. The causes were unknown. She used progesterone suppositories as well and now has 2 children.

I am not too familiar with the injections that are now available. I know that with the suppositories, they are inserted vaginally and melt with your body heat. The hormone is supposed to enter the blood stream rapidly.

I *personally* will not go through another pregnancy (specifically first trimester) without progresterone. It worked well for us and I plan to use it again...

Best of luck to you!

smilequeen
02-24-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm so sorry for your losses :(

I am having my progesterone tested, but mainly as a part of my whole (in/sub)fertility work up. So...I'm not really sure what my own OB's thoughts on this are.

Have they tested your 7dpo progesterone yet? I think it can work, but that would give you some idea of whether or not your body really was producing enough progesterone on it's own. Could give you a definitive yes to taking it if your levels are a little low.

I do know many people who have taken progesterone after 1 or 2 early miscarriages and went on to have healthy babies, that's for sure. But I've also read studies that say that only 5% of miscarriages can actually be attributed to hormonal imbalance. Those same studies tend to say that extra progesterone certainly can't hurt either. I also recently came across a study that showed that the supplements were more effective if started right after ovulation instead of waiting until you get a positive pregnancy test. I will see if I can find them since I'm off for the morning today...

votre_ami03
02-24-2004, 10:02 AM
It can work, it really depends on what is causing your m/c. I took it w/my 2nd preg, but it was ectopic, so it would not of helped any way. My 3rd preg (Nolan) I did not take it.

The first 12 weeks of pregnancy (until the placenta is developed) is supported by progesterone. If a short luteal phase is to blame, it should definitely help. I certainly don't think it would hurt anything. I do know a lot of women who swear that it worked too.

FYI, If you do take it, it may cause constipation & you can have some spotting.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

llcoddington
02-24-2004, 10:16 AM
I took progesterone for the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy with Lauren, starting on day 14 of my cycle. I used the suppositories-crinone gel. I had previously miscarried-twice. I also took baby aspirin everyday. My Reproductive Endocrinologist said that my progesterone levels were NOT low, but he thought I should go ahead and take progesterone anyway. We have Lauren now, so something worked!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

TaChapm2
02-24-2004, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't go through a pregnancy without it! We had a MC due to low progesterone levels and now that we are doing IVF I have to do it. With DS I stayed on the shots for 2 months and the suposarories for 1. I don't think he would be here if it hadn't been for the progesterone supplaments. I wish I had known about it with my first pregnancy but it just wasn't something I was thinking about. I do consider it to be our miracle drug.
I am so sorry for your loss and hope that you are able to get pregnant again soon. I don't think it would hurt to try it for a few months and see how it works? Good Luck!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

Jennamax
02-24-2004, 02:20 PM
I took progesterone suppositories with this pregnancy because of low progesterone and a previous early m/c.

It worked, I guess, 'cause I'm 38 weeks and 4 days today!

It really wasn't bad. I had to use the suppositories 2x a day for 14 wks.

McQ
02-24-2004, 03:17 PM
So sorry you're going through this. I'm another one that had a m/c and was diagnosed with luteal phase defect/progesterone too low. For my second pregnancy they put me on progesterone ASAP which worked and I had a very uneventful pregnancy. But sorry, I don't know anything about taking progesterone while TTC, but I am a believer that progesterone worked for me. Hope the same for you.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

SASM
02-28-2004, 11:36 AM
I am sorry this is a little late in coming but I haven't been able to log on for some reason :(

I just wanted to convey a HUGE "Thank You!" for your responses and support :) It means so much to me.