PDA

View Full Version : Email security

jd11365
02-23-2004, 11:54 PM
I've noticed that my full name...first and last was popping up next to my email address whenever I posted in the SWAP or Chicago retreat Yahoo groups. If someone were to Google my full name, there would be a chance my posts would come up. Being a teacher, my kids are always facinated by typing in names to see what pops up. Anyway, I found out how to solve the problem...this is for Mac users, but might work for PC. I suggest you think about removing your full name if you are concerned about posts that might pop up if someone does a search of your name.

1. Open the Mail program.
2. Click on the Mail menu and choose Preferences.
3. Click on the account that you want to change and click the Edit button.
4. Change the "Full Name" field to anything you would like.
5. Click OK, the close the Accounts panel. #

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

papal
02-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Thanks Jamie!
I did not know you could google and find posts and emails with your name in it... when i do a google for my full name they don't show up... what is the search you have to put in google?

Melanie
02-24-2004, 03:32 AM
try googling your phone number, too. Sometimes that produces a frightening result.

brigmaman
02-24-2004, 09:19 AM
I just found a friend I haven't talked to since my first year of college, about 9 years ago and emailed her. I tried to google some personal info and found our addy using our phone number but that's about it.
ETA- wow 9 years! I feel like it was yesterday.