PDA

View Full Version : Does Julia NEED antibitoics for sinus infection??

cdlamis
02-24-2004, 01:16 AM
It seems as if Julia is dealing with her second bout of a sinus infection. The first time we put her on antibiotics. This time I am trying to figure out if its necessary. I haven't taken her to the Ped yet since it doesn't seem to be bothering her- she just has a constant runny nose and a cough but otherwise acts fine.
I hesitate to call the Dr. since they will probably put her on antibiotics. Am I wrong to want it runs its course?
Any suggestions?
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35d0802848f *December pictures

kfcboston
02-24-2004, 09:51 AM
My DS just recently go over his first sinus infection after a 10-day stint on Zithromax. If it helps any, I'm confident in retrospect he had it for at LEAST 6 weeks before we figured out what it was. So maybe it wouldn't run its course without meds??

momathome
02-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi, Daniella!
Liza, my 6 year-old, has had several sinus infections and it has been my experience that without antibiotics, they just don't go away. In September, Liza has a cough that lasted for 4 weeks and when I finally took her to the doctor, they determined she had had a sinus infection the whole time. It took 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear it up but I have since come to read in one of my parenting magazines that it takes 20 days of being on an antibiotic before a sinus infection clears up. I know it stinks but I don't think there is a way around it. When I was pregnant, I had a sinus infection for several weeks and tried my best to just wait it out because I really did not want to take anything while I was pregnant. I was completely miserable and after several weeks, finally went to the doctor and was given an antibiotic that cleared it up immediately. My ped is very against prescribing antibiotics for every little thing and even he does not hesitate when Liza has an infection. Good luck - I hope Julia feels better soon!
-Lauren

cdlamis
02-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks Katie and Lauren! I really didn't know all that about a sinus infection. I will take her to the Ped today.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35d0802848f *December pictures