PDA

View Full Version : Is your cell a necessity?

brigmaman
02-24-2004, 10:17 AM
In my endless quest to lower our bills, I'm thinking about getting rid of my cell. I hardly ever use it and have the lowest At+t plan possible.
Do you have one? How much do you use it?
Obviously this will vary by lifestyle. I am a mostly SAHM who really does SAH quite a bit!

hobey
02-24-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm a FTWM and just got rid of my cell after reviewing the last 6 months of statements and finding out I hardly use it. It was a nice to have for me and not an absolute necessity. We're in the process of looking at our finances in preparation for DH becoming a SAHD.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

peanut4us
02-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Hmmm, Trish, that's tricky. I don't use my cell phone that much, but I do use it exclusively for long distance. We've found it's much cheaper to have the long distance service cancelled on our main phone and just use the cell. I'm not sure what your long distance picture is, but that might be something to consider.

Other than that, I use it at the store to see if DH wants anything... sometimes in the store if DH is there too and I can't find him ;). I do have it with me always in the car just in case something happens. I don't know what kind of area you live in, but where we are in Texas, it would suck to break down and have to go find a phone (closer to where we live, not where I work).

Another thing too, I know lots of SAHM who insist that as their kids get older and are in preschool and school, cell phones are SO useful because they are forever chauferring.

All that said, we are tihnking of seeing if we can get a better plan than we have since you can now port your number. I kind of doubt it because we already get a corporate discount through my company.

Hope that helps.

brigmaman
02-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Joey, I use my phone mostly for the reasons you mention. If I go somewhere further than 20 miles, it is nice to have for security. But I'm thinking maybe Dh and I could share his Nextel which his dad still pays for because it was a business cell. I'd just have to have him leave it home from work for me if I thought I'd need it. That's one option.
Maybe a prepaid phone would be better for me.
We never use our long distance. I think it's usually a few dollars/month. But if things change- that's good to keep in mind.

bluej
02-24-2004, 10:49 AM
My cell is supposed to be used so that the schools can get a hold of me if one of the kids becomes sick and I'm not at home. That never happens. Also for when I'm on the road a whole whopping once every three months. So it's a total waste for those reasons, but still a necessity for those reasons. So I end up using it to talk to my sisters or mom while I'm spending hours on end at Target :) Money well spent in my mind!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-24-2004, 11:29 AM
we have totally eliminated our long distance bill by using our cell phones to make long distance calls.

For me, commuting an hour each way to work on the train, a cell phone is a necessity. But even for regular stuff, being able to get ahold of someone in an emergency, or even to say that the line is too long at McDonalds and what do you want from Burger King instead a cell phone is something I can't imagine being without.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

em_jon98
02-24-2004, 11:36 AM
We used to use ours a bunch for long distance and local toll calls (we were paying $0.04/minute for anything further than 15 miles.) We don't live near our families, so our cell phones, with free long distance and unlimited night and weekend minutes, got our long distance bill on our home phone down to nearly nothing. However, we now have an unlimited local/local toll/long distance rate plan that costs the same as our local service alone used to, so that benefit is no longer there.

However, I still would not give up our phones completely. My DH's car recently broke down on the side of the freeway on his way out of town (water pump went, also causing the timing belt to go), and he was certainly glad to have a cell phone to be able to call a tow truck to get the car and me to come and pick him up. I would not want to be stuck in a sitation like that with Lindsey and have to be at the mercy of a state trooper or a good samaritan eventually stopping to help us.

If you wanted to get the cost down, you could get a low cost/minutes plan to just have it for emergencies, but you will probably find that a prepaid phone card is more cost efficent than this kind of plan.

amp
02-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Yes. We disconnected our land line phone, so our cell phones are our only phones. My parents still have their land line for local calls, but they discontinued their long distance service and only use their cells for long distance, so it cost them so much less. Also, I worry about getting stranded, for whatever reason, without a cell phone to call my DH or someone else for help. Course, that doesn't mean I always remember to take it with me. :o

JenCA
02-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Honestly, I would never go anywhere without my cell. After a very scary incident late at night about ten years ago when some freaky guy followed me home and tried to run me off the road (and I didn't have a cell), I have carried one ever since. I even take it with me when I go out for walks with DD. IMO, you can never be too safe, and having a cell makes me feel more secure. That being said--I very rarely use it. I just like knowing I have it if I need it.

s_gosney
02-24-2004, 12:24 PM
We cancelled ours a month or so before DD was born as part of the "baby budget", and we did fine without it for several months. Sure there are plenty of convenient uses (DH: "What was it you needed from walmart again?"), but these things are just conveniences not necessities IMO. That said, since she has to go to daycare this semester, we got our phone back so I can be reached while I'm on campus if needed. Luckily my mom let us add a phone to her plan, so it's not costing very much.
FWIW, even if a phone is not enrolled on a plan, it can always be used to call 911 as long as it has power. And here (not sure about everywhere), you can also dial *55 and reach the highway patrol. Knowing this helped me not worry in the months when we didn't have a cell plan. HTH!

mamahill
02-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Three months after Ainsleigh was born, DH and I got rid of our phones, and I have only wished for it back a handful of times. Ironically, I find it liberating to not have it. We might have considered using it if we had good reception at our home. But we don't, so we use a calling card (3.5 cents/minute) for long distance. And without the cell phone, we're saving $75/month or more!

We do keep both phones in our cars because any cell phone will dial 911 without having a plan. So that's our security measure.

Calmegja2
02-24-2004, 12:50 PM
For us, yes, if I want to leave the house. With three kids in school at different hours of the day, I need to be able to be reached if there's a problem, and my husband is notoriously hard to get a hold of during the day.

brigmaman
02-24-2004, 01:02 PM
A few people have mentioned the ability to call from your phone without a plan. Doesn't your phone get shut off if you cancel your plan? I know very little about this. (Can you tell?) :)

Marisa6826
02-24-2004, 01:09 PM
I use mine all the time. I try and make my calls while sitting in traffic - a sick sort of multitasking, I guess.

I can also talk to Jonathan or my Mother for free (our plan allows you to talk to other Sprint users free no matter what time or for how long).

I used to use it to make long distance calls, but now that we've moved, the reception is really spotty. I'm on the edge of a reservation and kind of in between two hills.

If it's windy I can lose reception and then get it back. It's so annoying I just use the house phone.

I also wouldn't dream of being out in the car with Sophie without a phone. I've gotten stuck too often.

Have you looked into those pay as you go cell phones?

-m

mandye
02-24-2004, 01:25 PM
I just got a prepaid cell phone on Sunday, but my husband has had his for over a year now. We like it because other than the first purchase (phone and card) it isn't too expensive. I think a 300 minute card is like $70 or something and that could potentially last a year if you don't use it a lot. DH has only had to buy more minutes once since getting his phone. It is something to consider.

BTW, we got my phone for security and convenience. DH has said "Man I really wish you had a cell phone today" tons of times.

Mandy

Jen in Chicago
02-24-2004, 02:41 PM
We considered this, but I can't do it. DH has a phone from work, and we pay for my phone. I try to use it or a prepaid phone card for all long distance calls.

I work F-t and use the phone during parts of my commute to do whatever "business" I need to do so I can free up time with Jude.

On the weekends it is great for keeping in touch with everyone. A few weeks ago that is how I learned my brother was in an skiing accident. It was also how I learned he was safe 9/11, during which he was on a subway leaving the WTC. It was also how I learned of a few deaths, but people knew how to find me which was important. Our families depend on being able to reach us almost 24/7, good or bad.

Daycare has never called me (knock on wood), but DH has called when I have left them to run errand on the weekend.

During my leave last summer I was happy to have the phone so I could be out and about all day with the stroller. I am not one to stick around the house.

We have an older car, so again, this is a safety net for us. DH was able to get our garage to stay open and coast in on Valentine's Day. Emergency assistance would not be enough for him.

All family has phones, and this is how we keep in touch.

I just rejustified the cost for myself! I hope this helps you. In today's world I think it is good to have a phone.

mollyi
02-24-2004, 02:59 PM
I do feel like it is a necessity for me - even though I don't use it very often. I drive an older car with alot of miles on it - I just wouldn't feel comfortable driving Andy around without it. However, I did switch to a pay-as-you-go plan to save $. I have to put $20 worth of minutes on the phone every 90 days to keep it active - and I have yet to use more that $20 worth of minutes in 90 days. I think the previous plan I had was $25/month - it was the cheapest monthly plan we could find. So I am now paying $20 every 3 months instead of $25 a month - I am pretty pleased with the savings!

August Mom
02-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Considering that cell phones haven't been in existence *that* long, I don't think they are a necessity. Somehow the whole world managed without them for years. :) However, they sure are convenient sometimes and now that I have a little one with me, I like having a cell phone in case of emergencies. DH just got a prepaid cell for occasional use and really likes it. He can just buy more minutes as necessary without a monthly fee or a fixed term contract.

valeriec
02-24-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm a SAHM, so I am mostly home or around town during the week, but I do like to have my cell with me when I take longer trips in the car. My husband and I share a Tracfone, and we really like it. He works only 5 minutes from home, so if I need it and he has it with him, it's no problem to stop by and pick it up. It's much cheaper than having a monthly cell phone bill, and I've never had problems with reception.

mamahill
02-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Hmm.. I haven't had the occasion to try it, but I think as long as it is charged, it will turn on. You just can't dial a number without a plan. Except for 911. I think it's the same for pay phones. Sorry I don't know much more. Maybe I've been living off a false sense of security!;)

COElizabeth
02-24-2004, 05:28 PM
This is my understanding, too - that even an inactivated phone will still call 911 as long as it has enough power in the battery. That's the reason I keep my old cell phone in my car even though I no longer have service. I haven't tested this out, though, so I would be interested if anyone has actual experience or some sort of documentation about this requirement!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

JElaineB
02-24-2004, 06:22 PM
We live 30 minutes from anywhere, DH has an OLD car (1984) and the babe is usually with me. So for us, we need them in case we breakdown. We both have Tracfones (prepaid wireless). We have had them about 14 months now and are very pleased with them (got rid of our regular plans when we got them). We generally do use them very lightly/emergencies only because they are expensive per minute. But if you buy the 1 year prepaid plan it works out to less than $8 a month (includes 150 minutes). You can add more minutes anytime. I have used them from our home area and at various Midwest and East Coast locations and have never had a problem. If you want a cell for emergencies or for very light use I highly recommend them.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

gravymommy3
02-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Well, since DH (or shoud I say DA?) left mine on top of the car, I have managed to live without it. It is actually kind of nice not to have it for him to call and ask "where are you?" every five minutes. He is not a control freak - just wants to know when I will be home so I can take over with the kids, kwim??

So, I am learing to live without it and it is not that bad...

He on the other hand will require surgery to remove the thing from his ear.

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-24-2004, 07:57 PM
I have not read everyones responses (or anyones response) BUT two of the greatest things I have ever done was get rid of my cell phone, and to sign up for onesuite.com as a long distance service and to cancel anyother service that was long distance- we are saving tons!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

brigmaman
02-24-2004, 09:27 PM
I called At&t today to check this out. The cs rep said if I cancel my plan my phone is turned off and I would not be able to make any calls from it. He pointed out that I pay a surcharge every month for 911 service. If I cancel, I am no longer paying for the service. This doesn't sound legal. I can't turn off my phone for 4 months or I will be charged for early termination.
I am interested in hearing if anyone has any RL experience with this.

LD92599
02-24-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm using Verizon FreeUp. It costs me $15 / month (one $30 card every 60 days). I rarely use a phone but feel much safer having it in the car. FreeUp will carry over any unused minutes as long as you renew w/ another card before the expiration date.

Once you're done w/ AT&T you might be able to switch over to a Verizon or AT&T pre paid plan w/o having to purchase a new phone.

Just my 2ยข!

Laura
mom to William

mamahill
02-24-2004, 09:42 PM
I did a google search for "cell phone 911 access" and it came back with a bunch of hits, a lot of which deal with being able to track 911 calls within a 100 yard radius, but I did find this:

The FCC rules require wireless carriers to transmit all 911 emergency calls without engaging in billing or validation procedures. Calls from subscribers and non-subscribers alike must be forwarded, without delay, to the appropriate public safety operator, pursuant to an FCC order issued on December 1,1997 (FCC Requirements for Wireless Carriers to Forward all 911 calls.)

The FCC has stated that assuring prompt delivery of all 911 emergency calls promotes safety of life and property. Most carriers in the country have met these requirements, however, some may still be in the process of bringing their emergency call processing systems into compliance.

Here's the FCC site that references this:
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/News_Releases/1997/nrwl7048.txt

I wouldn't be surprised if the cell phone companies wouldn't fess up to it. Afterall, if that's the only reason you'd keep the phone, you'd cancel, and I don't think they want to encourage that;).

ETA: whoa, that was my 2000th post. So glad it was informative:D.

ETA (again): So of course I go to check my phone and the battery is dead. So I don't know what it looks like on the screen. Gotta recharge...

brigmaman
02-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Wow, that was an informative 2000th post!
So I guess there's no way to test the system... I guess you just have to trust it will work.
I had a feeling the rep wasn't going to tell me the truth. At the end of the call he offered a "deal." Sign up for 2 years (cripes, that's a LONG time!) with them and they'll waive my bill next month. 1 month...not much of a deal!

mamahill
02-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Oh I got the same bull when I called to cancel Sprint. A MONTH?! I burst out laughing. Then I realized it wasn't joke and said, "Oh. You were serious?! Sorry, I guess that was rude. But I found it funny that I'd *get* to save $50 if I promise to pay you over $1000. No, I think I'll go ahead with the cancellation."

lmariana
02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
We ditched our plan last month and switch to a pre-paid plan with Virgin Mobile. I too stay home most of the time and rarely use my cell phone. Virgin's deal is $0.25 each min. for the first 10 minutes each day. After that it's $0.10/min. That's it. No taxes, surcharges, connection fees...nothing. Includes long distance, voicemail, caller ID, etc. Checking voicemail from your cell does cost airtime, but you can check voicemail from a regular phone and skip the airtime costs. :)

So far, I've only used $8.00 and DH's used $11 worth in one month! That's a huge savings over our $76/monthly bill with Sprint. The coverage is great since Virgin runs off of Sprint's network...so we have coverage everywhere we need it.

I'd recommend it for sure!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

AngelaS
02-25-2004, 08:34 AM
I cancelled my phone about 3 years ago and really have rarely missed it. I agree with Sarah--it's liberating not to have one. LOL I love just GOING someplace with one less thing to have to take along. :D And really, what's SO important that someone would need me RIGHT this minute??

I may change my mind once my children are not with me all the time... LOL :D

emmiem
02-25-2004, 10:34 AM
We use our cell phones all the time! I am also a SAHM with one teen, one 3 year old, and one on the way. I use it to order take out dinner while waiting at guitar, viola, dance, gym, you name it. We use it to stay in contact with my teen while at the mall, movie theatre, friend's houses, etc. I use it to reconnect with my hubby during the day. We travel a lot and use it on the road.
Michele