PDA

View Full Version : Runny nose etiquette?

jojo2324
02-25-2004, 11:25 AM
What exactly is the protocol when your little one has a runny nose? Right now DS is especially flowing, but he has been for over a week now. Given the way he bashes around the house, I'm guessing he's just fine. But I don't want to go to any of my moms' groups with a runny-nosed toddler in tow, lest other parents think he's NOT fine.

BUT if I wait until the runny nose clears up, I might as well just stay inside all winter long, because he's basically had the sniffles since before Thanksgiving.

What do you do?

lukkykatt
02-25-2004, 11:28 AM
In our playgroup, we got over the runny noses fast - otherwise we would have to shut down for winter! My rule of thumb is, if the "discharge" is clear, and they have no other symptoms, I take them.

brigmaman
02-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Joanne, I saw the title and had a feeling it was you! I don't have any advice, are you thinking of going today?

Karenn
02-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I've been agonizing over this lately as well because we might as well stay inside all winter too! I think I'm getting a little more relaxed about the whole runny nose thing, so that I will take him out with friends (that I know wouldn't mind or that I've checked with) if his nose is going, but I won't take him to classes. I can't even follow the "if it's clear" rule, because it's almost never clear! I am SO tired of staying home!

C99
02-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm with Andrea -- if the little ones have a runny nose, but no fever or acting sick, we bring 'em to playgroup. If not, no playgroup or other activities. It means that Nate's gotten a bunch of colds from other babies at PG, but better that he get them from having fun at playgroup than from the schmuck who touches his face at Target!

cinrein
02-25-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm so glad you asked this. Anna has had a runny nose for over a week now. I'm 90% sure it's from teething, but I've kept her home anyway as I didn't want to freak anyone out.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

jal
02-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Out Daycare/MDO specifically removed "runny nose" from the list of reasons not to bring children in.

I think the current requirements is that they be vomit, diarrea, fever free for 24 hours and no colored discharge from the nose.

lisams
02-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Runny noses on other children don't bother me if they are clear, and the child isn't hacking or sneezing a lot and doesn't have a fever. DD gets a runny nose if she's been out in the cold, and then comes in and is running around - it's like it melts the normal boogers!

Lisa

Melanie
02-25-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't know the etiquette...but in my opinion anything other than clear is not okay, and a clear nose that runs so much you have to wipe it every minute...also not comfortable with.

brubeck
02-25-2004, 07:45 PM
In my crowd a clear runny nose is fine and can usually be explained away with a '(s)he's teething'. White boogers are okay too for the same reason. Any hint of yellow, a cough/sbeeze or throat issues and it's not okay.

However ettiquette definitely demands that you keep wiping the nose (even under protest from your child) and don't let the snot get on ANY toys or other kids.

ethansmom
02-25-2004, 08:35 PM
We have a written policy in our group. Perhaps it's something worth discussing and agreeing on in your group?