PDA

View Full Version : First a fever, then a rash...

hellokitty1
02-25-2004, 06:08 PM
After 2.5 rough days of dealing with a feverish, cranky child, Sydney finally seemed back to normal today so we took her into daycare about noon. It's now 4:30 and I just got a call that she has a rash and the Director thinks it may be Roseola. Rosie what? O'Donnell????

Argh. I did my Google search and know more about it now. It's a form of herpes. Ahhh, my kid has an STD. :) I have a call into the ped's office right now but anyone got some immediate advice? Motherly or otherwise?

Wait til my mother finds out. I'm sure this will be blamed on the lack of not dressing her warmly enough or some bullcrap like that.

trumansmom
02-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Or, it may be a secondary (and harmless) reaction to her original ailment. Or a reaction to medicine. Or it could be any number of things. Do you have a Health Information or Ask a Nurse line you can call? DS has had a rash after being sick twice. We finally realized that he reacts to Ampicillin. The rash is gross, and takes a long time to clear up, but it was harmless.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

hellokitty1
02-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks Jeanne. Since her fever was diagnosed as a virus, no medicine was prescribed. We gave her motrin for fever but the last time we gave that was Tuesday afternoon. I do have a call into the ped's nurse's line. We'll see what they say. Thanks!

Tondi G
02-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Could be Roseola... DS had that! many many kids get it. A pretty good fever that breask adn is followed by a nice rash that appears on the trunk of thier body and spreads then goes away! No biggie... just a childhood thing that happens!

Antoher possiblilty is a heatrash. DS is kinda prone to heat rash for some reason and often when he gets a fever he has some heat rash for a day or so afterwards

here is a site for Roseola but my sons rash did NOT look like the one in the picture!

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/roseola.html

http://www.drreddy.com/shots/roseola.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083600.asp

there are a few sites to check out... it is related to herpes but it NOT the sexually transmitted variety!!!!!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

cara1
02-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Roseola typically presents as a fever that goes away and then comes the rash. At that point they're fine, and it's no big deal. And it has nothing to do with Herpes, so don't get freaked out about that. Yes, it's caused by a Herpes virus, but not the same thing as what most of us typically think of as Herpes. Also, once they have the rash, they're not contagious anymore, and should be allowed to go to daycare.

hellokitty1
02-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks Tondi-

I had not yet made it to Dr. Sears site which I found the most informative. But in my search I did find this picture. Perhaps I should update Sydney's avatar like this to disguise her identity like Esther's baby. LOL

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2858.jpg

C99
02-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Before I even got to your post, I thought "roseola." Nate got it too and it wasn't from bad parenting.

tarahsolazy
02-26-2004, 02:23 AM
Roseola is also one of those viruses that almost all of us get at some point, and that toddler age is a great age to get it. Ususally, the kids tolerate the fever fairly well, stay hydrated, etc. Its one of the few rites of passage, disease-wise, that are still out there. And, like everyone else has said, once you've got the rash, its usually over for the kiddo, they feel fine. (And are not contagious). Cold air had nothing to do with this, she got it from some other kid in daycare! Tell your mom your ped said so.

momma_boo
02-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Vivian,

I had to respond. You crack me up!! I'm sitting at my desk at work laughing at the computer.
I have to admit, seeing her avatar, it does seem a little silly. Oh well. I guess it's better than nothing, right?

I'm sorry that Sydney's been sick. I hope she feels better. Sarah's had a cold off and on all month and ended up with an ear infection but is doing well enough that she went back to daycare yesterday.

valeriec
02-26-2004, 12:10 PM
It does sound like Roseola - my DD had it a few months ago. I have no idea how she got it - she doesn't even go to daycare and wasn't around kids at all. First a fairly high fever with no other symptoms, and then the rash. Her rash only lasted a few days. Like the others said, if she does have roseola, it is very common and shouldn't be anything to worry about.

hellokitty1
02-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the posts. Earlier today I was about to transfer this posting to the Bitching lounge bc DH dropped her off at daycare this morning and the director asked for the doctor's note. My DH debated that she made no mention of needing a note the day before. So the director let us leave her and said to just have it faxed in.

Of course, I call the doctor, full well knowing that they aren't gonna offer a note without having actually seen her even though they were certain it was roseola. But the snow was moving in and we figured they'd close early anyway and there was no point in getting a doctor's note. So the Director calls me back and says that she told DH to have a note within the hour. Nw I know we often mock our DH's for selective hearing but come on, he did not miss that!

Anyway, I went to pick her up and she's been a geat baby having slept for the last 3 hours. Yikes, I better go wake her lest no sleep for me tonight.

To all the NC families, have fun and be safe in the snow! And for all the NC April 03 babies, does it not feel like the birth of your babe brought on tons of rain and tons of snow.

Sorry, I'm rambling now. Bye

mik8
02-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Vivian,

Sorry to hear about Sydney's rash and the daycare fiasco. Maybe it was for the better that she ended up staying home with you. I hope she'll recover soon.