PDA

View Full Version : How do you trim a wiggleworm's nails?

LucyG
02-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Help! Are there any tricks that you've found to work? My DD won't sit still for nail trimming anymore. I used to keep her still by letting her watch her sign language videos while I cut her nails, but no more. She hates to have her hands touched while she nurses, so that's out, too. We go for her one year check-up tomorrow, and I'm embarrassed by the length of her nails!

deborah_r
02-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Mine is only 9 months and the video trick still works. I also hold his hand quite tightly to let him know I mean business. I started that when he started trying to wiggle his hand away.

lukkykatt
02-25-2004, 07:27 PM
One word: Teletubbies. For some unknown reason, they put babies into a trance - maybe a baby cult? :) I would always cut nails to the Tubbies. Put on the show or video, wait a few minutes, then go to town.

LucyG
02-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Teletubbies only comes on in the mornings where we live, but I just had good success with letting her watch Arthur as a trimmed. I finished all of one hand, and most of the other. Victory! DH says if only DD were as good as our dogs when we trim their nails, we'd be all set. The dogs know they get a piece of ham afterwards, but I doubt that would work with a baby!

etwahl
02-25-2004, 08:55 PM
the only way i can trim dd's nails is if daddy puts on his comedy act! he throws balls at his head then yelps in pain, falls on the bed, etc. she LOVES it and i'm able to cut her nails. otherwise i wouldn't be able to do it. no way, no how!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

houseof3boys
02-25-2004, 10:28 PM
I find the timing helps also. I do it right when he wakes up from a nap since he is calm and mellow. If I do it any other time even with a dvd distraction, it makes it very difficult if he is hyper (which is most of the time) and feeling like squirming. :)