PDA

View Full Version : OT- PayPal questions...

brigmaman
02-26-2004, 01:44 PM
There are several things I'd like to bid on today on Ebay, but the seller of a few of them (same seller) stipulates in her auction that she expects payment within 24 hours. So here's my question:
If she accepts paypal from a credit card, how do I pay using a credit card?
Is is unreasonable to contact her before I bid and ask if she'll accept payment late. I don't know how I feel if someone did that to me. I would probably say ok. Most of the non-paying bidders I've had never contacted me at all!

kransden
02-26-2004, 02:14 PM
You sign your credit card up with Paypal, that is how you use the cc. As a seller, if you had a valid reason to pay late - on vacation, want to combine shipments etc. I would consider it. It never hurts to ask!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Momof3Labs
02-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Trish, do you have a Paypal account yet? If so, all you have to do is add your credit card to the account. If not, sign up for one now so that you are all set to go when the auctions end. It takes a little bit of time to go through address verification, I believe (or so I've been told by a buyer!). If you ask if she'll accept a late payment, it might help to tell her why and how late you expect that it will be - if someone left it open ended, I'd be more likely to say no. She might do that so that she can ship everything that ends that day in one trip to the post office, so it might result in a delayed shipment of your items.

brigmaman
02-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks! I do have an account, but it's not hooked up to my credit card because it's my bank card. I wonder if I could hook it up just for the one transaction. I just emailed the seller and asked her if she'd wait until the last auction ended. I have good feedback, so hopefully she'll take that into account.

peasprout
02-26-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't think you can hook it up to a credit card for just one time use. Before you do, keep in mind for the future that some sellers don't accept credit card payments from paypal because they have to upgrade to paypal premier in order to collect the money,...and premier charges them for every transaction.

papal
02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Trish,
If your Paypal account is linked to a bank account or a bank card.. it will transfer the money to her instantly as well. I do not link a credit card to my Paypal (don't have one) but use either my direct Bank account or use my check card that is connected to the bank account. Does that make sense?

Momof3Labs
02-26-2004, 04:17 PM
You can hook your credit card up, use it, and then I think disable it (remove it from the account). And it doesn't hurt to have the option - enabling the credit card option doesn't mean that you can't use Paypal to pay someone who has a personal account, as long as you have the ability to do a bank transfer or have existing funds in your account.

brigmaman
02-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Rashmi, how can you do it instantly? I've only done it by transferring money to my paypal acct. from checking then sending it. I'm so confused.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Rashmi, in that case your check card is acting as a credit card. That is why it goes instantly.

If a person does not have a credit card (or check card) attached to their Paypal account, they can pay using an ECheck, which takes several days to get to the person.

You don't have to have the money in the Paypal account, you just do a payment and it will assume you are taking the money from your checking account and then do so.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

papal
02-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Trish.. just confirming what Karen said. I just tested this (my friend is a buck richer.. heehee) and in Payment option you can either use your PayPal balance or the check-card (which is acting like a credit card)... the eCheck takes 3-4 days to clear (but i think the person who is recieving it gets the funds instantly.. is that right Karen?).
Anyway, can you attach your check card to the PayPal account.. it will act as a credit card.

Arrghh.. sorry this is so confusing.. if you like i can PayPal you whatever amount you need, then you will have it instantly and you can pay whoever instantly and then you can pay me back whenvever.

brigmaman
02-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Thank you Rashmi! That is so generous of you! I have enough for this win and I'm going to wait to see how this transaction goes before bidding on any of this woman's auctions.

I wanted to put a picture of the coat I won in this post, but I couldn't figure out how. Here's a link

http://www.garnethill.com/cgi-bin/gh/clothing_item.jsp?ItemOID=375163&CategoryOID=-18140&special=yes

They are sold out in Brig's size, but I did end up paying $42 on ebay for it. I am so excited that I won. It came down to the last 30 seconds!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-26-2004, 11:10 PM
no, the person you are paying does not get their money instantly, it takes a few days.

Here are all the ways to pay with Paypal:

1. from a Paypal balance. This is when you have money in there either from people paying you, or from you transferring from your own bank account. The other person gets the money instantly

2. Instant Check - this is when you pay from your bank account, but it is backed up with a credit card. If the electronic check to Paypal bounces, it takes it from your credit card. The other person gets the money instantly

3. ECheck - this is when you only have a bank account attached to Paypal, not a credit card or check card. It takes the money from your bank account, and the other person doesn't get the money until it clears from your bank.

4. Credit card - it comes from your credit card and the other person gets it instantly. (check cards work like a credit card in this case). Personal members cannot accept this kind of payment, only premier members, that is why a lot of people don't accept it.

I think this is all of them, unless something has changed.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

brigmaman
02-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks Karen. So I've never looked closely at these options. I guess if I click on the invoice or auction page where it says pay now using paypal, it will give me these options? I'll look into it next time I win an auction.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-27-2004, 03:39 PM
No, you don't see the options until you start the payment process in Paypal. On the second screen, there is a small blue link that says "More Funding Options", click that and it will take you to the options.

You will see all the options, no matter whether the seller accepts them all or not, so it is up to you to read the auction text to see what they accept.

Note that if you have enough in your Paypal balance to cover the payment, you are not allowed to use your credit card to make the payment, the only other option you have is ECheck.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03